Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-2009, 06:35 PM
STI Master

Evidencee at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Evidencee

Hey spuds,

The issue you have isnt the same as mine. I dont think the sound your getting is even an issue, but normal. I also get the whine when changing gears down into 2nd, im pretty sure its normal man.

Gonna take the car to the workshop tomorrow to get it properly checked out. Been putting it off for the last week as ive been busy, and from reading, heard its not detremental to anyting but just has an annoying noise.

Ill post up what the mechanic says when i find out.
Old 15-01-2009, 12:11 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

spuds at standard level

Thanks... thats good to hear.

Well I hope it goes well for you when you get it checked out.
Old 15-01-2009, 12:20 PM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan bug eye
Hey

I had the same thing with my 02 Bug Eye and it was actually the rear diff centre that had gone
It was noisy at a constant speed and quiet under acceleration and coasting. Started getting noisy about 40KMH
Had it diagnosed at Subaru and they said it was the gearbox and front diff and wanted to replace both.
Got the rear diff oil changed and it was metal filley and just replaced the centre
Got a second hand one from JWS for about 500 i think

The noise travelled up through the driveline and sounded like it was in the passengers footwell

Mate also has a Foz and his did the same thing within 3 weeks of mine doing it

Drop the rear oil and see what it looks like as it may be the same thing

Cheers Nathan

i have the same problem an mines the rear diff, but i will say it defo sounds from the front... take it to jws an the will check it on the ramp with the wheels turning...
Old 15-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

uglycong at standard level

I had my rear diff replaced 3 times just to be rid of the noise.
Old 16-01-2009, 02:02 AM
STI Master

Took it to ASG today and they had a quick drive to hear it.
Seems as though it could be either the front diff or maybe even wearing gears from after hearing it. Dont think its any of the wheel bearings.

Taking it there again on Monday to get the sound properly diagnosed with the car up.

Ill let you guys know whats wrong with it when i find out.

-Nick
Old 16-01-2009, 03:36 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

blommer at standard level

i've had a 4.44 g/b installed in my car and the rear diff changed as well.

As soon as it was all in the car, the car was fired up and there was a whiney noise coming from the rear diff. (might be due to the fact that the oil has not run-in yet). Took it out for a drive and the sound disappeared. But i might be under the impression that the exhaust of my car might be louder than the whine, thus cant hear it.

However the sound seems more apparent when i drive it beside a concrete wall or close-up area. Should try it in the multi-storey carparks when i go down to city. It does not really bother me though as most of the time the exhaust consumes all audible molecular movements.

From what u guys were saying, i'm having 2nd thoughts that my crown and pinion might be wearing out and stuff.. geez tt's the last thing i want to know after just replacing my gearbox to an MY04 one.
Old 16-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

4.444 STI RA Gearbox installed here.

The cheap re-built gearbox had come off a show car and had been sitting around for a long while and after instillation I had all sorts of whines, creaks, and squeaks coming from the box or front diff.. especially when turning near full lock. This box has a front helical diff.

The boys at ASG said the thing was "tight" when I picked the car up.
Now two weeks of driving around and giving the thing a bit of a thrash, everything is quiet again - no noise whatsoever.

Yes give the oil a chance to slosh around both in the gearbox and diff and things should quieten down.

J
Old 19-01-2009, 08:34 PM
STI Master

Got it checked over today and its most likely the center diff. Was told it screams pretty loud around 80-100 and it will only get worse.

So if you have the same symptoms as what i described, you might wanna get your center diff and other diffs checked.
Old 13-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

Hi all,

Sounds like i have the same issue as Evidencee.

took my car to the MC motorsport track at the airport today, and now i have a whiney noise coming from the gearbox.

The noise sounds like you are in reverse gear all the time, and increases pitch with vehicle speed. It happens in all gears but only when you are cruising with very light throttle, the sound disappears when you are decelerating.

From reading this thread i assume its the centre or front diff gears.

my question is, am i going to blow the gearbox if i attend the collie trackday next fortnight?

Cheers, Steve
Old 13-07-2009, 07:50 PM
STI Master

Hey Steve,

The sound my car was making ended up being a chipped roller on the tapered roller bearings, in the transfer case. Thanks to Doug (dtrally), it was fixed in no more than 1.5 hours, by replacing the tapered roller bearing and the crown.

I was getting the sound on acceleration no matter how much throttle was applied (light, moderate or heavy), not only on 'very light' throttle. The whine increased in pitch with speed and did not go away no matter how fast i was going.

If your issue is the same as mine, you probably wont blow your gearbox with everyday light load driving, BUT, i would not recommend thrashing it at a track day before the problem is fully diagnosed/fixed as it will probally get worse after a decent thrash.

- Nick

Tags
end, front, increases, sound, speed, whining