Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

oddly enough i signed up to the MRT forums last week and recieved this email in my inbox 20 minutes ago o_0

Quote:
Why Fit Bigger Sway bars?

Example of larger rear bars on front wheel drives
The fitting of larger sway bars (rear and in general) has two main effects, vehicle balance in terms of understeer and oversteer, and increased roll resistance. Both of these can provide increased overall grip levels that can be achieved by the vehicle.
As most factory vehicles are biased towards understeer, fitting of the larger rear sway bar will help in providing a more neutral characteristic in the handling at the limit. This is due to the increase in roll stiffness at the rear, which loads the rear wheels more unevenly and provides slightly less grip at the rear than previous.
At first this may sound sacrificial, however, as the rear end is resisting more of the roll, the front end resists less in proportion, leaving the front wheels more evenly loaded, therefore more available front end grip. In the end an increase in overall grip can be achieved by balancing the vehicle. A WRX or other front torque biased all wheel drive vehicle will benefit even more due to combined front end steering/traction demand.
Another effect of introducing larger rear bars is that the roll stiffness is increased, and chassis roll is reduced, this also reduces the effects of "roll camber". Roll camber is the variation in the wheel/tyre camber setting due to chassis roll, and during cornering usually results in the outside wheels gaining positive camber.
By increasing the roll stiffness and reducing roll camber effect, the wheel/tyre stays closer to its wheel alignment setting or optimal setting. This can increase the overall cornering grip available, as
the wheel/tyre does not lose as much negative camber at the limit.
The balance (and grip increase) of the car could also be achieved by reducing the front sway bar stiffness, however its roll stiffness would be reduced and roll camber would suffer. This would lead to large amounts of positive camber being gained on the outside wheels/tyres when cornering. This would result in a wheel/tyre that would not be at its optimal camber setting at the limit of handling.
This could be remedied with large amounts of static camber to counter act the positive camber gain, however the resulting tyre wear, and straight-line handling effects would suffer.
So without reducing comfort, a Whiteline Sway bar will make your suspension system and tyres perform better, making the car more responsive while delivering more grip. Fitting a Whiteline Swaybar offers all round improvements in handling, tyre wear, comfort, safety and even load carrying. Its the best dollar for dollar handling improvement you can make! Whiteline Sway bars use the finest grade spring steel, are powder coated and supplied with high performance polyurethane mounting bushes in a DIY kit form, ready to simply bolt on.

To search our online catalogue Whiteline sway bar’s available for your vehicle click here

For the Whiteline sway bar 30 second infomercial click here

Flat Out,
Whiteline Jim
jim@whiteline.com.au
Old 09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo
How do u find the height with 40mm lower? Ur car didn't seem low? Iwas thinking between 20 and 30mm drop would be bout max I'd go n would probly whitelines
It is 40mm lower (wheel arch to hub center) but the 17's lift it back about 10mm overall.

Also my REAR sway is 24 and the front 22......I was tired yesterday and not thinking straight!

overall feeling is better turn in (lot less understeer), balanced and predictable.

I run my rear at it's stiffest but I'm using plastic links as they're supposed to be more progressive than alloy links.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

ok i think i've decided to get whiteline, as it is much easier to get a hold of
going for:
  • Whiteline WRX / STi 22mm adj front swaybar
    [BSF20Z]
  • Whiteline WRX / STi 24mm adj rear swaybar
    [BSR20XXZ]
  • Whiteline Alloy HD swaybar links - front and rear
    [KLC31]
  • Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
    [KCA319A]
  • Whiteline Camber bolts
    [KCA414]
there was a similar package being offered by tenagah, but all the gc8 ones are gone but i'll let ya's know when i get this stuff, how much for, and where from.

springs/dampeners/coilovers
what have we used before/recommend?
i know coilovers are better (but more $$$)...do they absorb enough shock to be used on a daily driver?

discuss.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

you'll notice a pretty big difference with all that, and wonder how you did without it :P when the bug bites again id to the H brace that made a large difference too i thought. then coilovers :P
Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

You'll want progressive springs rather than coil overs for a daily unless you like having fillings rattled out.....

I have a set of stock V6 STi springs and sway bars here that you can HAVE and try out.....if they'll fit your struts.

Sharing the love!!

I only fitted the lowered spring to bring it down after fitting the 17's. The sway bars, better rubber, alk, subframe lock and alignment made all the real difference in handling.

Springs and bars are here if you want them, try them first with the rest of your suspension mods before rushing out to buy something that may be hard to live with every day.

I had Tein coil overs in my series 4 rx-7, good fun for hooning around but they sucked on long drives (Perth- Margs) where I was left wishing for something a little softer / less harsh.

All comes down to personal choice.

PM me for my number if you want the STi springs & bars.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM

chee at standard level

id check how the car goes first with those mods. you might find that your struts are flogged out and you will need to replace the whole unit.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 PM
STI Master

SilentKilla at standard level

i dont know if id go 24mm on the rear even with a 22mm front unless you do motorsport events. id probably go koni adjustabled with the right height springs if i did it all over again, for my needs that is.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKilla
i dont know if id go 24mm on the rear even with a 22mm front unless you do motorsport events. id probably go koni adjustabled with the right height springs if i did it all over again, for my needs that is.
thats what i was thinking... but i figured they are adjustable, so i can always chuck it on the softer setting? but the 22mm is probably cheaper lol
Old 10-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

whats a good place to go for a wheel alignment (once the camber bolts etc are on)
Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

wheels world

Tags
gc8, handling