Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   TMIC Buyers Guide (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25432-tmic-buyers-guide.html)

207 de 26-03-2009 08:31 AM

Louis, you sure? I always thought they made them longer? Seems to make sense to increase the surface area...may have to visit JWS with a tape measure some time and check some stuff out...

Morgs, Im up there with the standard tmic in the sti (226kw at the hubs) but want to run more boost, however, tuner says it just blows hot, so better cooling needed...Keen to see whats available in the sti parts bin before considering fmic..

waxdass 26-03-2009 08:41 AM

considered a 0.4mm (smallest) water injection nozzle in the Y-pipe?

207 de 26-03-2009 09:25 AM

Havent considered Water/Meth injection..How is it working for you?

you have a 34/P20 and TMIC....should be getting good performance?

waxdass 26-03-2009 10:46 AM

dont need to go meth, just WI will do a massive job on pre-TMIC injection cooling. more so than spraying buckets of water on top of it.

Will know exactly how my setups going soon, when the autronics tuned ;)

I run a 0.4mm in the Y-pipe and then a 0.9mm just b4 the throttle.

Kato 26-03-2009 11:41 AM

Tode, you spraying a fine mist into the intake? So like making the air more humid? If so do you need to use any tables to correlate/compensate for this?

Thought about steam injection? :D

waxdass 26-03-2009 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Kato]Tode, you spraying a fine mist into the intake? So like making the air more humid? If so do you need to use any tables to correlate/compensate for this?

Thought about steam injection? :D[/QUOTE]

yeah I am (post turbo). cooler, denser air added with some methanol for driving pleasure ;)

yeah you have to change the map - iv tested it a few times, and it runs like shit with it spraying - not to mention it forces a extra rich mixture!

I thought about steam injection as an add on - on the run clothes ironer...Autronic Aux controlled. ;)

Kato 26-03-2009 12:49 PM

Cool cool! I was looking into this and going to get the motec to control it, but yeah that got stopped quickly. Be very interested to see how it finishes up.

waxdass 26-03-2009 01:27 PM

mmm same. through what iv researched its good for up to +20hp and more importantly +40nm of torque.
if it gets that is all up to the tune & how the stock 'pinks hold up.

alexm 07-04-2009 08:06 AM

has anyone got a process west tmic installed? if so any good?

WRXRW 07-04-2009 04:15 PM

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYuANxNeE4[/url]

fa7boy 07-04-2009 04:21 PM

i know this is random and a bit left of field... but which is better...? the sti top mount or an aftermarket one... eg perrin top mount...?

Kato 07-04-2009 08:36 PM

Yet to see any proof of an aftermarket tmic out performing the STi unit (esp. spec c ones).

fa7boy 08-04-2009 01:13 AM

[QUOTE=Kato]Yet to see any proof of an aftermarket tmic out performing the STi unit (esp. spec c ones).[/QUOTE]

thought so.. havent heard anything special about aftermarket ones but thought i'll make sure..

TheSaint 23-04-2009 01:36 PM

might be a noob question ...

everyone raves about the process west TMIC ... how do they go for figures up against an STI?

jEstEr? 23-04-2009 02:55 PM

PW haven't released any comparison figures on their TMIC vs the STI one, common opinion is that its not better

American Dave 23-04-2009 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?]PW haven't released any comparison figures on their TMIC vs the STI one, common opinion is that its not better[/QUOTE]

+1 sti > pw but opinion only as there is no data to compare

ULTREX 23-04-2009 04:11 PM

Well I am on the lookout for a STI tmic for my 06....if I can get one anytime soon, will do the comparison on the asg dyno with a before (Process west) and after (sti).

JDM_STYLE 23-04-2009 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=ULTREX]Well I am on the lookout for a STI tmic for my 06....if I can get one anytime soon, will do the comparison on the asg dyno with a before (Process west) and after (sti).[/QUOTE]

Pm Bluespec as he PM'ed me about one he's selling.

Process West 23-04-2009 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?]PW haven't released any comparison figures on their TMIC vs the STI one, common opinion is that its not better[/QUOTE]

There is no data to release because there is no data...I simply havent done it and dont have the time to do it.

I wish I could but I just dont have the time to go a circuit for the day to do some comparison testing.

Up untill a few months ago the WRX lap record around Eastern Creek Raceway (one of the most demanding tracks in Australia) was using one of my top mounts. (the current fastest WRX uses my front mount).

Kev

Process West 23-04-2009 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=ULTREX]Well I am on the lookout for a STI tmic for my 06....if I can get one anytime soon, will do the comparison on the asg dyno with a before (Process west) and after (sti).[/QUOTE]

Just remember a dyno is the worst possible scenario to test a top mounted intercooler....its impossible to simulate the volume of air that goes into the scoop and get accurate results.

When measuring intercooler outlets temps you will see 10+ degrees cooler temps out on the road compared to a dyno.

Kev

WRXRW 23-04-2009 06:33 PM

thanks for sharing kevin.

please feel free to visit more often and include your latest offerings!

jEstEr? 23-04-2009 09:21 PM

Cheers for posting Kev. I know the perfect car that could do with one of your TMIC's to test with ... :)

SweLLy 03-05-2009 10:41 PM

so any news on tmic's??

pw .. or sti...??

results --- pref overall performance?

before i upgrade mine in the next few weeks..

olgus69 26-05-2009 03:12 AM

Hi guys just wondering , I have a larger aftermarket tmic no brand name and i am about to start some major mods, injectors pump, avo 400l, retune, but am concerned with power being limited by the top mount . Should i be going fmic, I'd rather tmic if i could.

Jezza 06-07-2009 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;354621]PW haven't released any comparison figures on their TMIC vs the STI one, common opinion is that its not better[/QUOTE]

I think the advantage of the PW one is that the rest of the GC engine bay does not require modification for it to fit

It also comes with splitter and Y-pipe, which are the little things that increase the performance and efficiency of TMIC's.

So lets summarise with the pro's and con's of each:

[B]GD STi TMIC[/B]
Pros:[LIST][*]Cheap! ~$400-500[*]Proven performance?[/LIST]
Cons:[LIST][*]Second-hand condition & Availability[*]GC engine bay requires modification to make it fit[/LIST]
[B]PW TMIC[/B]
Pros:[LIST][*]No modification required to fit[*]Performance results released[/LIST]
Cons:[LIST][*]Price ~$995[/LIST]
If anyone has anything to add to these pros and cons, please share

jEstEr? 06-07-2009 10:38 PM

i'm in the process (get it) of modifying the stock splitter to fit over my $300 sti intercooler.

Bones 07-04-2010 09:30 PM

Hey guys, does anyone know if the 08-10 tmic from sti will fit on 2010 wrx sedan? And if so what mods are needed to run it?

tuna 07-04-2010 09:48 PM

not without completely replacing your manifold.

not a bolt on, by any stretch.

fatboy 12-05-2010 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=Bones;445256]Hey guys, does anyone know if the 08-10 tmic from sti will fit on 2010 wrx sedan? And if so what mods are needed to run it?[/QUOTE]

I loooked at this also as an option but have disregarded it, i have just this week ordered a process west tmic for my betty, i also looked at the hyperflow but decided that the quality wasn't there and also the size was far to small compared to the PW!

For $1100 it would also be cheaper than replacing everything to fit an STI cooler (plus where do you get one?)

jedi_luke 24-05-2010 11:00 PM

whats the opinion on the wolfracing kits you can get on rexnet? , 650 and includes the air spliter ,... im tossing up between this , or a front mount kit from e-bay(but most look shit with and need 1000m of piping) or save up the 1k for a process west kit :confused:
ive got the power fc , VF34 and now i just need the intercooler and im stuck on the fence

i know there is a 02 STi intercooler but to fit it on my my99 wrx will be more hastle then its worth , new spliter , move clutch resi etc.

tuna 25-05-2010 06:31 AM

i would get the 02 sti cooler.

at least it looks factory

fatboy 14-06-2010 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=fatboy;453544]I loooked at this also as an option but have disregarded it, i have just this week ordered a process west tmic for my betty, i also looked at the hyperflow but decided that the quality wasn't there and also the size was far to small compared to the PW!

For $1100 it would also be cheaper than replacing everything to fit an STI cooler (plus where do you get one?)[/QUOTE]

It arrived this morning and just looks a million bucks!

[IMG]http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad144/beaujohnson247/pwmy08tm.jpg[/IMG]

I know it cost $1100 so it should look good but i had no real idea how much bigger it really was untill i saw it in the flesh......i am sooooo happy with it and cant wait to get it tuned!

Gk_ 15-06-2010 06:08 PM

hey guys,

i have a aps dr525 fmic, i got quoted $1000 bucks to get it installed on my car?? this sounds about right or they taking me for a ride? if anyone has ever installed one them self let me know how you went please:) or if you know anyone that does it cheaper??it dont look that easy to do it my self, but then again i am no mechanic..

type25 16-06-2010 12:36 AM

pm sent

GTB Liberty 06-08-2010 03:02 PM

Could anyone give an opinion on the Hyperflow TMIC v AVO TMIC for an MY08 Liberty?

GTB Liberty 07-08-2010 08:56 AM

*BUMP* done some simple research, the Hyperflow is 114mm thick and the AVO is 88.9mm. Substantial difference.

Part of my concern is I don't want to lose the engine cover. With a 25.1mm thickness difference would fitting the engine cover even be possible?

I don't want to lose the engine cover as I'm trying to keep the "stealth".

Any of the Liberty owners care to comment assuming you have had either the AVO or Hyperflow TMIC.

Kato 07-08-2010 09:35 AM

Thickness does not necessarilly mean better. Surface area of the heat exchanger is where the magic happens. I.e. you want the most channels in the area that will see air flow. Thicker coolers sometimes have not enough air reaching the thick part making it just redundant. Also, it can become a better heat sink, abosrbing engine temp and making the whole intercooler a pile of steaming dog poo on top of your engine.

Design of the channels is the key for heat transfer/intercooling.

Are they bar and plate or tube and fin? Tube and fin > bar and plate imo.

GTB Liberty 07-08-2010 09:42 AM

AVO v Hyperflow

[B]Hyperflow[/B]

[I]Intercooler Features:

Core Size: 270 x 270 x 114 [mm]

Intercooler Supports: 250Kw +

Material: Aluminium [Light Weight]

Finish: Polished Intercooler

Hyperflow’s TMIC Kits are constructed using high quality Bar and Plate Intercooler cores which provides a large increase to the cooling area, the 07 GT bolt on Intercooler features an integrated aluminium flange, carved from 6061-T6 billet. To ensure a perfect fit, the Intercooler brackets have also been CNC machined along with the high flow tanks.

Hyperflow Kits allow Subaru replacement aftermarket BOV’s to be used or the factory blow off valve can be retained, and will bolt straight on.

This Intercooler is ideal for power levels up to 335Hp (250Kw) the TMIC has proven to constantly offer less than 0.9psi of pressure drop which leads to lower intake temperatures and reduced strain on your turbocharger.

The Intercooler Finish comes either Mirror Polished or Powder Coat Black; installation is quick and easy and can be completed yourself at home.

Note: In order to fit the larger TMIC on the 07-09 Liberty/Legacy GT the standard engine cover needs to be removed or trimmed. [/I]

[B]AVO[/B]

[I]Our aluminum bar and plate TMIC with cast endtanks was designed specifically to provide the best flow and cooling while bolting up in the factory location. We use our 400hp core in this design to provide an ideal bolt-on upgrade for stock or upgraded turbochargers.
The standard factory intercooler setup is quite inefficient and does not allow your engine to produce anywhere near its full potential. The AVO Intercooler Upgrade kit uncorks your engine, unleashing horsepower. This power is found everywhere on the rpm band, making your Legacy much more fun to drive. Better response and a deeper well of torque to dip into!

Specifications:

# Core size: 10.4 x 10.5 x 3.5 inches (being 264.16mm x 266.7mm x 88.9mm)
# Supports up to 400chp
# High-response, high-flow design [/I]

So they are both bar plate Kato. I don't think I've ever seen a tube fin aftermarket model for the Liberty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:[B]

Perrin[/B]

[I]PERRIN Performance Top Mount Intercooler

The process of compressing incoming air to create boost and power also has a nasty byproduct of heat. Heated air lacks the density to make higher horsepower, increases detonation and forces the ECU to pull timing. All of which reduce the power you are looking to create.

Easy solutions do exist for this problem and PERRIN offers several choices for your vehicle and personal taste. For mild modifications and a stealthy look turn to our Top Mount Intercooler upgrades, available for Impreza, Forester, and Legacy models. These [B]bar and plate cores[/B] offer more surface area per square inch than cheap tube and fin choices from our less worthy competitors and the overall size is more than 200% of the OEM unit! But Top Mount Intercoolers do suffer from underhood heat buildup and while excellent for mild performance gains the Front Mounts are the ideal choice for all out, bar none HP gains! [/I]

Another for the Legacy/Liberty - another bar and plate.

Kato 07-08-2010 10:15 AM

Bar and plate are cheaper to make, that's why there are more out there. In the end consumers want cheap and most wouldn't have a clue wtf an intercooler is actually doing.

Saying that, nothing wrong with a well constructed bar and plate over a cheap POS tube and fin either.

Personally, I'd try and find dyno plots of people who have used them to compare.

If they are the same price, go the Hyperflow (if the thickness allows you to remain stealth).

EXPLICIT 07-08-2010 03:31 PM

[url]http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/arc-subaru-wrx-sti-top-mount-intercooler-p-3202.html?osCsid=5f266e59b9d147dde928af9ae4916bcf[/url]

You want a top mount, ARC is the only choice!