Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   TMIC Buyers Guide (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25432-tmic-buyers-guide.html)

Jezza 07-08-2010 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;477571][url]http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/arc-subaru-wrx-sti-top-mount-intercooler-p-3202.html?osCsid=5f266e59b9d147dde928af9ae4916bcf[/url]

You want a top mount, ARC is the only choice![/QUOTE]

If it is good, you sure do pay for the quality :eek:

Sayers 22-09-2010 08:29 AM

I'm looking to upgrade the TMIC on my MY99 GC8. I've read the thread and still have a couple of questions.

I have the stock turbo & no engine mods, so I don't want to cram the biggest TMIC possible under the bonnet. I want to stick with Subaru gear but I'm not sure which of the later model STI TMICs will fit with the least amount of cutting/filing/modding. E.g. I saw one howto which involved removing the coil pack and cutting the mounting posts on the manifold with a hacksaw. I'd much rather leave the stock TMIC on there than do something like that. (Cutting down the clutch reservoir seems to be unavoidable, but that's relatively minor.)

Do I have to find a replacement TMIC with a matching BOV or can I reuse the MY99 one?

I have an STI CF strut brace installed so I need to make sure it'll clear that.

Basically I'm looking for a small upgrade with the least amount of faffing around. An intercooler similar to the GC8 one but extended to the full width of the scoop would be ideal.

American Dave 22-09-2010 08:41 AM

this is what you want in my opinion
[url]http://www.processwest.com.au/website/prod_subaru/pw_p_intercoolers_99tmic.htm[/url]

Sayers 22-09-2010 09:13 AM

I've looked into those in the past and they're a very cool-looking piece of kit, but I think I'd rather stick with a Subaru part. Cheaper, fairly easy to get hold of second hand, similar efficiency and OEM appearance.

I've found a lot of discussions on the biggest or best Subaru TMIC, but I'm looking to compromise by going for a smaller/older TMIC with an easier upgrade path.

RUSSGT 22-09-2010 09:27 AM

Just go GD wrx then.

Strubaru 22-09-2010 09:33 AM

for your application your easiest option would be to upgrade to an 02ish wrx tmic, bigger than the stock 99 but not as big as thew sti one, no need for chopping down the clutch res, no need for relocating the coilpack if you get the 02 wrx bov, slight modifying of your passenger side bracket, get the 02 wrx drivers side bracket, get an aftermarket silicon y pipe and a t/b coupler pipe, i have an 'STI' stencil for you to spray it for that sti effect if you like :cool:

edit: what russ said

jEstEr? 22-09-2010 09:45 AM

what they both said^ 01-05 wrx intercooler

Sayers 22-09-2010 10:20 AM

Okay, thanks for that.

If I pick up a GD WRX intercooler can I reuse the BOV from my MY99, as well as my existing aftermarket silicone y-pipe, manifold joiner and BOV return pipe? I'm going to put together a wanted ad, and I want to be clear about what I want. So to speak.

Thanks for the offer of the STI stencil loan, but I'd leave it stock for now.

damo 22-09-2010 10:35 AM

The cf sti strut brace won't clear the gd sti intercoolers ive tryed and won't fit at all :(

Sayers 22-09-2010 10:37 AM

I think the suggestion was GD WRX rather than GD STI?

Strubaru 22-09-2010 10:37 AM

you will need a bit of extra length in the y pipe and t/b coupler, might be able to extend your current y pipe after the 90 degree bit that attaches to the turbo

yes you will need the gd bov also as the flange where they bolt onto the tmic is different

you will also need to do a bit of creative cutting and shutting of the bov return hose as its in a different spot on the gd bov

so in your wanted add i would suggest you ask for:
gd wrx tmic
gd wrx bov (inc return hose elbow)
gd tmic drivers side bracket

this should be anough to get you started, the rest of the stuff you have should be able to be modded to fit:cool:

Strubaru 22-09-2010 10:45 AM

there's some pics i posted in this thread:
[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25805&highlight=tmic[/url]

red dragon2002 22-09-2010 08:06 PM

i installed a 2004 gd wrx intercooler on my 99 rex... was pretty straight forward, only problem are pretty much the brackets. like mentioned, you have to modify passenger side bracket, just cut a section out from original bracket and bend it a bit.

the original y-pipe fitted fine, but for my bov return, i had to swap the ends to get it to fit on the gd bov... also, the gd bov hole size is larger than the gc8, so i had to stretch the end a bit, and force it on with lube...

i am also chasing the drivers side bracket, but will try and make one up myself.

my question, i still want the silicone y-pipe set (y-pipe + bov return), wondering should i get the gd or gc8 one? the problem is will the gd silicone bov return suit the gd cooler with bov?

tiddy 22-09-2010 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=red dragon2002;493335]i installed a 2004 gd wrx intercooler on my 99 rex... was pretty straight forward, only problem are pretty much the brackets. like mentioned, you have to modify passenger side bracket, just cut a section out from original bracket and bend it a bit.

the original y-pipe fitted fine, but for my bov return, i had to swap the ends to get it to fit on the gd bov... also, the gd bov hole size is larger than the gc8, so i had to stretch the end a bit, and force it on with lube...

i am also chasing the drivers side bracket, but will try and make one up myself.

my question, i still want the silicone y-pipe set (y-pipe + bov return), wondering should i get the gd or gc8 one? the problem is will the gd silicone bov return suit the gd cooler with bov?[/QUOTE]

gc8 bud, the Y pipe from cooler to the turbo has to be slightly longer. I discovered this yesterday :)

flare_windmill 04-10-2010 02:25 PM

Tossing up between OEM sti vs an aftermarket intercoolers (process west) at the moment.

Any thoughts? pricing?
Any places that stock brand new process west / STI intercoolers?

Kato 04-10-2010 02:58 PM

Both will offer similar performance. STi TMIC will be slightly better imo anyway.

PW can be bought brand new from PW direct. I think they cost ~$1000.

STi TMIC can be bought 2nd hand from place like JWS or off forums. Will be a lot cheaper than the new PW. ~$600. STi TMIC also has the added benefit of OEM factory looks.

You will need the correct shroud / scoop for both to make any option worthwhile.

Strubaru 04-10-2010 03:32 PM

i also prefer how the sti one has a recessed core so your underbonnet splitter/shroud sits inside it, great for waterspray setups :cool:

red dragon2002 04-10-2010 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=tiddy;493346]gc8 bud, the Y pipe from cooler to the turbo has to be slightly longer. I discovered this yesterday :)[/QUOTE]

cheers Cal

tiddy 04-10-2010 08:17 PM

Yas,
Heres a DIY on how to fit an gd sti cooler into a gc with the same intake as yours.
Shows how to make the drivers side bracket. May be handy for you.
[url]http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/STi8IntercoolerOntoMY00Classic[/url]

tiddy 04-10-2010 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;496991]

STi TMIC can be bought 2nd hand from place like JWS or off forums. Will be a lot cheaper than the new PW. ~$600. STi TMIC also has the added benefit of OEM factory looks.

[/QUOTE]

Try $100 from rexnet hahaha

JDM_STYLE 04-10-2010 08:23 PM

GD STi Spec C TMIC over STD GD STi one :D

tiddy 04-10-2010 08:26 PM

Disconnected coolant lines from throttle body, makes up for it :)

red dragon2002 04-10-2010 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=tiddy;497139]Yas,
Heres a DIY on how to fit an gd sti cooler into a gc with the same intake as yours.
Shows how to make the drivers side bracket. May be handy for you.
[URL]http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/STi8IntercoolerOntoMY00Classic[/URL][/QUOTE]

thanks got that already... should be the same for the 04 rex cooler

wudi 05-10-2010 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=flare_windmill;496958]Tossing up between OEM sti vs an aftermarket intercoolers (process west) at the moment.

Any thoughts? pricing?
Any places that stock brand new process west / STI intercoolers?[/QUOTE]

I was looking at a PW cooler but have opted to run an MY04 STi cooler which I bought for $300 off rexnet (hope this is a good price!). I have an MY04 STi scoop and splitter coming from another guy ($250) and I think I'll need to buy a Y-pipe off eBay ($110).

All up the total price for an STi TMIC kit is $660 over the PW one which would have been $995 plus postage.

Hopefully the performance of the STi set up matches the PW one. I just couldn;t justify the extra $335...

ausyve 05-10-2010 12:36 PM

[url]http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/turbo-supercharger-miscellaneous-c-4266_4270.html[/url]

Not sure if sizing would suit your needs.

ImPreSiV 16-12-2010 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=adam1001;520427]BLA BLA BLA CRAP [/QUOTE]

This isn't a for sale thread... stop whoring to get your post count up so you can sell your crap. The For Sale thread you are creating now will be deleted as soon as you finish it, so don't waste your time.

Sokoza 08-02-2011 12:59 PM

Great thread, I just bought a GFB Respons BOV direct factory replacement so I think ima go the process west.

mattmy99 08-02-2011 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Sokoza;534240]Great thread, I came all the way from QLD to tell you guys that I bought a BOV[/QUOTE]

CSB

Read the post above yours. Take heed to the parts that apply.

Sokoza 14-02-2011 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=mattmy99;534248]CSB

Read the post above yours. Take heed to the parts that apply.[/QUOTE]
Go take a shit buddy, I was just being polite and its not like it had nothing to do with the thread...sheesh. Great welcome to Perth WRX I see.

MattuZ 14-02-2011 08:25 PM

cant handle shit over the internet then log out

btw the process west top mount is a great item im running one myself

Sokoza 14-02-2011 08:57 PM

I'm going for a GD STI TMIC now, found one for $230, Although you have to mod a little, you save alot. Just too good a value.

red dragon2002 14-02-2011 10:01 PM

^ good choice and good value. where you find a deal like that? :)

Sokoza 15-02-2011 10:20 AM

Local guy, question about this though, will the alloy y-pipe attachments from the my99 tmic bolt directly onto the version 7 sti tmic? Thanks.

red dragon2002 15-02-2011 02:26 PM

i have got an 04 rex tmic and the alloy y-pipe bit bolts on directly. Not sure about the sti tmic however i think they are the same

fatboy 15-02-2011 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=mattmy99;534248]CSB

Read the post above yours. Take heed to the parts that apply.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MattuZ;536197]cant handle shit over the internet then log out[/QUOTE]

What did this guy do that was so wrong?

If i am missing something then i will stand corrected but i feel you were both rather harsh towards this guy for what i can see is no good reason!

Sokoza 15-02-2011 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=red dragon2002;536437]i have got an 04 rex tmic and the alloy y-pipe bit bolts on directly. Not sure about the sti tmic however i think they are the same[/QUOTE]
Thanks a skeetload :)

mattmy99 15-02-2011 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=fatboy;536459]What did this guy do that was so wrong?

If i am missing something then i will stand corrected but i feel you were both rather harsh towards this guy for what i can see is no good reason![/QUOTE]

It's rather difficult to judge the tone in which a comment was made on the internet, and because of this, I can see how you and Sokoza may have interpreted my comment as harsh.

After hanging around this place for 5yrs, I've become particularly cynical and pessimistic of people (especially those from the other side of Australia) that post comments that, to me, seem pointless.
Kym raised a very valid point in a post just above mine gesturing towards the forum for sale rules, so I simply brought it to Sokoza's attention.
It appears that this time, my presumption was wrong.

I didn't realize that misquoting someone's post and following it up with "CSB" would cause such a problem.

And Fatboy, less holding hands with the new kids, and more building rally cars. K go.

tiddy 11-03-2011 04:42 PM

waaaah :)

Would a 04 sti topmount intercooler flow enough air and have a good enough cooling capacity to support a garrett gt3076r on a 2 litre at 20-25psi??

BALISTC 11-03-2011 05:16 PM

It's been done.. it works, but you'll make more power with that turbo and a FMIC.

Is it a high mount GT3076R or one of those "bolt on" ones? If its a high mount, not a snowballs chance in hell of fitting it under the bonnet of a GC8 with an 04 STi TMIC.. the brake master cylinder is in the way.

tiddy 11-03-2011 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;544197]It's been done.. it works, but you'll make more power with that turbo and a FMIC.

Is it a high mount GT3076R or one of those "bolt on" ones? If its a high mount, not a snowballs chance in hell of fitting it under the bonnet of a GC8 with an 04 STi TMIC.. the brake master cylinder is in the way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Joe.
Bolt on kit, stock location :)
Looks like im going FMIC. No point wasting power.