Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   TMIC Buyers Guide (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25432-tmic-buyers-guide.html)

MattuZ 03-01-2012 09:09 PM

just save your money and buy a process west cooler

at least you know they are built well and perform

Kato 04-01-2012 09:27 AM

That cooler looks like it is a half price version of the Process West one.

Oh wait, it is...

It will perform ok. I do think in Perth's weather it will get heatsoaked like a bitch in no time. All the benefits of that core are the increased surface area when you have air going over it. If you can afford a few more $, get the PW one.

ewrxion87 04-01-2012 11:33 AM

no worries, thanks for your opinion... the process west one is like $1100 shipped even tho i prefer TMIC... its almost worth spending an extra $200 on top of that and get a good front mount grrrr like the cosworth one thats now available.

[url]http://cosworth.com/products/performance-aftermarket/intercoolers/subaru-front-mount-intercooler-system/[/url]

did u have any ideas what the name of that hose might be then il just go to supercheap or repco and get one for it and fit it,
as the above post says ive search 5 different names for it now... im going to try and get a silicon replacement

cheers mate...

Kato 04-01-2012 12:18 PM

Post a photo.

If it is just a small diameter hose with a split, you don't need the name, just take the hose in and ask for a silicone replacement.

ewrxion87 04-01-2012 03:25 PM

no worries, the rubber has degraded surprisingly fast for 3 yrs

see below.

cheers

[IMG][IMG]http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/snowmandr/hose.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Kato 04-01-2012 04:07 PM

If you want a flexy pipe like factory, go see Subaru spare parts.

Otherwise, go to Go Gear and see if they have a silicon replacement hose. Might be best to take it off, bring it in to the shop and match it up.

Otherwise, you will probably get a new hose with the new intercooler :D

huggy_b 04-01-2012 04:19 PM

Isn't that just the line to vent from your intercooler to your BOV?

Shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement?

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 10:29 AM

process west TMIC

hey guys,

who has one of these TMIC, are you happy with it ? whats your opinion and do you recommend?

for the price they seem to give the largest surface area and a direct fit

[url=http://www.processwest.com.au/website/prod_subaru/pw_p_08tmic.htm]PROCESS WEST - WRX/STi Products - Top Mounted Intercooler[/url]

ive come to the conclusion my stock one is getting heatsoak and is the answer to many of the problems ive suggested in other threads....

your opinion is valid and il be buying one this week based on them !!

thanks

Soksta 19-01-2012 10:31 AM

Trolley has one installed on his MY08.

Would also say this TMIC would be prone to heatsoak, but might take longer to get there for the larger surface area.

Will be looking at getting one of these towards the end of the year.

American Dave 19-01-2012 10:33 AM

have you read this thread yet ?
[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25432-tmic-buyers-guide-6.html[/url]

meatbag 19-01-2012 10:43 AM

Process west IMO are one of the best TMIC on the market. Add in waterspray and you're onto a winning situation.

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 10:44 AM

sure have...ive posted there a few times....

wanted a more in depth opinion of someone who has got one installed.

As well as Trolleys valued opinion

i can move back onto that thread if you like ?

American Dave 19-01-2012 10:46 AM

yep lets keep that one going I reckon

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 10:47 AM

awesome,

have you got much info on waterspray... i looked into it a while ago.

apaprently in my particular model the 3 ltr bottle has to go behind the drivers seat haha :| as there is no room under the bonnet. i couldn't imagine the actual install would be very difficult? not particulary keen on water inside the car tho...IMO

switch > bottle > pump > hoses > sprays and associated electrical wiring to battery ??

[QUOTE=meatbag;644670]Process west IMO are one of the best TMIC on the market. Add in waterspray and you're onto a winning situation.[/QUOTE]

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 10:54 AM

roger that mate

[QUOTE=American Dave;644675]yep lets keep that one going I reckon[/QUOTE]

Ashby 19-01-2012 11:36 AM

I have a PW TMIC on my GC8. To be honest, from just installing the intercooler power is not any different, although I felt an improvement in throttle response, not sure if it is physcological though haha. From what I have read and researched the bigger TMIC will be of much more value once you install a bigger turbo.

And no I don't think it is worth $990 or whatever Process West charges. I would wait for a second hand one or just grab an STi tmic.

Kato 19-01-2012 11:48 AM

Heatsoak isn't your problem. For normal road driving, as soon as you take off the factory TMIC will do a decent job of making your intake temps a bit lower. In 35+ deg days, you are going to lose power due to the heat.

TROLLEY 19-01-2012 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Ashby;644698]... or just grab an STi tmic.[/QUOTE]
They're not a straight swap due to differences in the manifold. You'd end up spending more than the cost of a PW unit.

ewrxion87 - I'm yet to do a skidpan or any prolonged hard driving but the fact that I can put my hand on the unit after driving says a lot. Build quality is very good and everything just fits perfectly.

huggy_b 19-01-2012 12:21 PM

On my shopping list!

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 12:26 PM

just become the owner of a new process west TMIC should have it by mid next week and installed the same time. il post pictures up as soon as its done.

il get the replacement hose from repco or so the same day and do both at once.

BOMB3R 19-01-2012 12:44 PM

Threads merged :)

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 12:48 PM

cheers mate, i noticed when i went to reply and then i was double posting on this one haha so i deleted it. :P

[QUOTE=PIGSTi;644717]Threads merged :)[/QUOTE]

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 02:24 PM

serious question...

now that ive purchased the tmic... even tho my stock turbo has the stock heat shild, would one of those thermal turbo covers be of benefit to prevent heat exchange in the area.... or am i wasting my time... just a thought seen im browsing through online stores.

[QUOTE=Soksta;644662]Trolley has one installed on his MY08.

Would also say this TMIC would be prone to heatsoak, but might take longer to get there for the larger surface area.

Will be looking at getting one of these towards the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

Kato 19-01-2012 02:45 PM

So according to your sig you are blowing smoke in all gears? What colour smoke?

Turbo cover is a waste of time for your application.

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 02:53 PM

black....way too rich i can smell the fuel..

racetorque are looking at it on the 30th when im back from onsite...thank farkkk
i have a feeling my maf is dying....from when my hyperflow filter fell off in the fender...
if thats the case fix the maf and retune....its getting retuned anyways. The guys seem good there... will be my first time there.

fair enough on the turbo cover...worth the ask!!

TROLLEY 19-01-2012 02:57 PM

I looked into a turbo beanie myself... when you think about it, it holds the heat in well, but this means that it would take ages to cool down and the turbo will spend longer periods of time, hotter. Potentially shorten the lifespan of the turbo? Dunno...

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 03:01 PM

that makes alot of sense... espec if your not running a timer...' im not'

i just thought in the sense of heat soak / heat exchange in the area it may be a good idea.

running on 19psi all day the lil snail gets hot thats for sure...
apparently there are "chimneys availble" dont know how good they are tho.

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;644762]I looked into a turbo beanie myself... when you think about it, it holds the heat in well, but this means that it would take ages to cool down and the turbo will spend longer periods of time, hotter. Potentially shorten the lifespan of the turbo? Dunno...[/QUOTE]

Kato 19-01-2012 03:12 PM

Remember you aren't running 19psi all the time, only at WOT at peak boost.

Turbo gets hot and it is a great idea to insulate it whether its a heat shield, turbo beanie, chimney or ceramic coating.

Turbo life is not changed drastically by any of these. Ceramic coating is the best option.

Also, I will ignore the turbo timer comment. Been covered far too many times that you do not need one.

ewrxion87 19-01-2012 03:20 PM

LOL on the turbo timer comment....its alright i wouldnt run one anyways....pretty sure they illegal if not factory anyways.

ceramic coating aye ? sounds good but getting too in depth now.... if a turbo cover waste of time for my application i wont worry about it....

TheDoctor 19-01-2012 03:45 PM

[QUOTE]Also, I will ignore the turbo timer comment. Been covered far too many times that you do not need one.[/QUOTE]

By saying that you're ignoring the comment about a turbo timer you're not ignoring it.
[img]http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2011/3/18/1/enhanced-buzz-15854-1300424464-1.jpg[/img]

Kato 19-01-2012 04:04 PM

I can play this game too :D

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/Spookie455/Random/Banstick.jpg[/IMG]

ALPHA 22-03-2012 08:31 PM

Some good reading above.

I've just purchased a 2004 WRX TMIC for my 1999 GF8 and just need some confirmation.

Will I require a GC8 silicon Y pipe? The GD ones are a bit shorter for the turbo connection from what I've read?

I also need a 2004 "GD" BOV and possibly a new connection pipe? GD or GC8 for the BOV retic pipe?

That and some chop chop and bending but that won't be a problem.

I don't imagin the bracket for the drivers side will be that expensive at Subaru so I might grab a new one.

Will make a wanted list I think..

Cheers guys!

RedMY01Owen 22-03-2012 09:23 PM

How much did the WRX TMIC cost? Surely it wouldn't have cost much more to get a STI TMIC and the performance gains would be very substantial.

ALPHA 22-03-2012 10:35 PM

$50 for the MY04 TMIC in great condition, an STi one wouldn't be less than $300 - been looking for a year and a half at least.

And I'd love to see the STi gain over this one. For the extra $250+ it's not worth it.

This will fit well with my CF Apexi strut brace and water spray setup.

RedMY01Owen 23-03-2012 07:00 AM

Wow, that's a great price, good buy!

ALPHA 23-03-2012 09:18 AM

Cheers, just need a GDB BOV and a GC8 Y pipe and I'm almost done.

:)

SyncSubaru 23-03-2012 09:25 AM

Ive got my hands on an STi GD Intercooler now with the BoV - So i just need the y-pipe and brackets now.

Can you let me know how much the bracket costs you?

red dragon2002 23-03-2012 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=ALPHA;663423]And I'd love to see the STi gain over this one. For the extra $250+ it's not worth it.[/QUOTE]

true story guys?

i have got a gd rex ic with silicone y-pipe, can't complain. would love a sti or pw one. good thing about the pw is that it comes with a properly made splitter, however i guess you can make one for the sti ic and save even more $$$

also is the pw tube fin or bar plate? its tube fin that has less heat soak right?

fsk 23-03-2012 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=red dragon2002;663622]i have got a gd rex ic with silicone y-pipe, can't complain. would love a sti or pw one. good thing about the pw is that it comes with a properly made splitter, however i guess you can make one for the sti ic and save even more $$$[/QUOTE]

You can pick up the splitter for 200bux on its own and its apparently a great fit for the sti cooler!

red dragon2002 23-03-2012 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=fsk;663629]You can pick up the splitter for 200bux on its own and its apparently a great fit for the sti cooler![/QUOTE]

nice i was thinking about that also. i like how pw is a complete package and its a direct fit in gc8 and that its new. however is the pw tube fin or bar plate?