Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   TMIC Buyers Guide (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25432-tmic-buyers-guide.html)

Rexxar 11-03-2011 07:44 PM

rotated/twist mount with fmic
there are heap in the states :) tho not a lot of stock loc

Sir WRX 26-03-2011 12:50 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;544216]Thanks for that Joe.
Bolt on kit, stock location :)
Looks like im going FMIC. No point wasting power.[/QUOTE]

Go the FMIC - bling and power!

thenic123 20-05-2011 07:22 AM

TMIC is good for keeping the lag down. The negative is that it gets more heat soak
than a FMIC and is easier to install.

A FMIC has the benefit of all the frontal air of the car. So it gets better cooling. Stick your head out the window like dogs do :) Modifications to the car will have to be done to make them fit. You can achieve high horse power levels but you sacrifice spool up time, but a good tuner can take the lag out.

unk3100 27-06-2011 12:15 PM

hey guys, how can u tell if it is a real STI SPEC C TMIC? not just and standard STi TMIC?

cheers

fsk 27-06-2011 12:25 PM

part number

Kato 27-06-2011 12:33 PM

See this post:

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/264148-post13.html[/url]

jEstEr? 27-06-2011 12:35 PM

the Spec C TMIC has the 'dimple' on the hotside separating the flow from the ypipe

pics here

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/264148-post13.html[/url]

Tommy Mac 14-08-2011 11:58 AM

Gday guys, was just wondering if changing the tmic 'y' pipe is worth changing to an after market? Is the much power, torque or response gains??? I have an 07 sti aswell.....
Cheers...

RoughStilin 14-08-2011 12:10 PM

I would doubt you would see a difference at all. My understanding is the STI one is already a semi performace part, made out of solid metal & silicon pipe. Well its different to the WRX one, with the expansion sections & made out of plastic.

I would just leave what you have. Unless there is adifference on the 07 model I am unawre of.

Tommy Mac 14-08-2011 12:42 PM

Yea no worries cheers for that

jEstEr? 15-08-2011 04:20 PM

as above, by itself on an STI i doubt you'd notice the difference. the stock WRX one is pretty shitty though

red dragon2002 15-08-2011 04:30 PM

i had a stock y-pipe on a gc8, upgraded to silicone and noticed that it flowed a little better. also on the wrx the y-pipe sucks so it was a good excuse to upgrade.

have you got a silicone inlet? that from what i have heard would be good to upgrade

Ashby 20-08-2011 09:40 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my my00 stock TMIC, I'm tossing up between the Process West TMIC and the STI TMIC. Is there any performance difference known? Actual proof, not just saying it because you have one or the other. And is the price of the PW tmic worth it over buying a second hand STI tmic but then having to adjust some things in order to install.

cheers

mARC 20-08-2011 09:49 PM

Its advisable to 'adjust some things', regardless of what cooler you decide on.

RichX 20-08-2011 09:51 PM

Full PW kit, with the splitter (crucial) + Hobbs pressure switch to suit waterspray system running from your windscreen wiper bottle is the ultimate, or same same with STI TMIC to save yourself some coin with a little more work.

Ashby 21-08-2011 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=mARC;599122]Its advisable to 'adjust some things', regardless of what cooler you decide on.[/QUOTE]

All I have read from this thread is that the sti is cheaper but requires more modifying in order to allow the STI tmic to fit. Elaborate on what you see as advisable. What needs to be done if installing PW tmic compared to an STI tmic?

That would be helpful :)

red dragon2002 21-08-2011 12:13 PM

brackets and clutch or brake master need cutting down or if done correctly needs relocating. heaps of gc8's have sti tmic and afaik later model gc8 is easier to install

Ashby 21-08-2011 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=red dragon2002;599207]brackets and clutch or brake master need cutting down or if done correctly needs relocating. heaps of gc8's have sti tmic and afaik later model gc8 is easier to install[/QUOTE]

Yea but the process west tmic doesn't need any relocating or cutting down etc. does it?

mARC 21-08-2011 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=Ashby;599197]All I have read from this thread is that the sti is cheaper but requires more modifying in order to allow the STI tmic to fit. Elaborate on what you see as advisable. What needs to be done if installing PW tmic compared to an STI tmic?

That would be helpful :)[/QUOTE]

From the times this has come up I think the only answer that has been given is that PW hasn't released any comparative figures or no test results have been supplied/found.

This is probably why the most common response to the PW/STi intercooler debate is jump on the STi option because its cheaper and similar dimensions.

Advisable was used in the sense of regardless of what option you take you're going to need a tune/make adjustments to your existing setup to get it to fit right.

RoughStilin 21-08-2011 08:08 PM

Why do you want to upgrade it? Are you maxing it out? Just do as Rich has partially said & fit some spray nozzles off your windscreen washer bottle, to a hobbs switch, off one of the vacuum / boost hoses and have it spray on your inter cooler. No need for a different tune, this will just keep your intake temps lower on boost.

There is some kind of DIY somewhere to do it.

If you need it for a performance application get the STI one, as it will work out cheaper & just as well as the PW (I believe). Its not very often you see second hand Process West ones for sale and @ $1000 new, it not really worth it IMO. I still have to do a test on the GD STI Vs PW TMIC, which I will do soon once work calms down and Mao has some free time. This will hopefully show which one is the king of the TMIC

If its for the bling, bling factor, spend the money on the PW one, as they are very, very pretty ;)

But, have a look, [URL="http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/37213-getting-gd-sti-topmount-fit-v3-4-gc8.html"]HERE[/URL] & [URL="http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/STi8IntercoolerOntoMY00Classic"]HERE[/URL]

BOV is easy enough to do. Hope this helps

Ashby 21-08-2011 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=RoughStilin;599306]

If its for the bling, bling factor, spend the money on the PW one, as they are very, very pretty ;)
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'll admit I do want the process west some what for the look. And since it is made to fit I am leaning towards it.

That would be great if you could do a comparison.

RoughStilin 21-08-2011 08:28 PM

[QUOTE=Ashby;599316]Yes, I'll admit I do want the process west some what for the look. And since it is made to fit I am leaning towards it.

That would be great if you could do a comparison.[/QUOTE]

Keep a look out, hopefully it will be in the next month. To be honest though I doubt you will see any difference AT ALL, unless you are making over 300hp at the wheels. Even then it would be minimal I think. But you never know and that's why I intend to do a test on the two.

Its your money though, if you want the PW one, get it. No matter what people on here say, you will never be happy if you really want something & someone else talked you out of it. In fact you will end up wasting money by buying one thing, not being happy, selling it, losing money & then buying what you initially wanted.

tuna 21-08-2011 08:48 PM

fyi, from this very thread-
[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/354699-post59.html[/url]
[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/354702-post60.html[/url]

in my opinion, the lack of results speak for themselves, if in 2 years kev cant get his house in order to produce a real world comparison, then people are only going to beleive what they want to beleive.

regarding 'looks'- a bar and plate intercooler is the icon of a china cheap intercooler kit. not to be confused for quality.

RoughStilin 21-08-2011 08:58 PM

I hear ya Stace. If there was a vast improvement they would have the numbers / evidence to back up their product. The dyno might be the worse place to do a test, but regardless, it will be the same for both. I have access to both TMIC and can do some logging on the two.

Its not information for me to buy one, as i don't want one, its more to show everyone the differences in the two and hopefully save people some money ;)

tuna 21-08-2011 09:04 PM

true, although if people want the looks, there are much cheaper china TMIC's that will give identicle results, unfortunatley people dont fit enough japanese (greddy vspl-rspl/ARC) intercoolers to see the real difference between a stock and a proper 'upgrade' intercooler.

Jon911 21-08-2011 09:06 PM

I just picked up a PW intercooler kit and a AEM intake recently from a member here for a price that i couldn't say no to. I remember having issues with intake temperature when running on the dyno with mao, it'd be interesting to see how the PW intercooler goes when i retune with some extra boost and dyno the car again.

Ashby 21-08-2011 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=tuna;599332]
regarding 'looks'- a bar and plate intercooler is the icon of a china cheap intercooler kit. not to be confused for quality.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I agree but the PW tmic's are made in AUS correct? and I'm not going to splurge out the cash for a PW tmic just because it looks good. It's a combination of not having to make the sti tmic fit compared to having the PW tmic made to fit.

I'm not a DIY kind of guy, if I had the confidence and knowledge, then yea, I'd try and do it myself... but I don't :( haha

BenWRX 26-08-2011 11:12 AM

Just ordered a PW today, should go good.

American Dave 26-08-2011 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=BenWRX;601021]Just ordered a PW today, should go good.[/QUOTE]

quality product for sure, nice choice

BenWRX 26-08-2011 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=American Dave;601024]quality product for sure, nice choice[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dave, got sick of reading page after page of crap, I'll try it out for my self.

American Dave 26-08-2011 11:25 AM

you wont be disappointed

dinski 31-08-2011 10:53 AM

Hi all,

in need of some info or shown in the right directions

Just wondering if a standard tmic off an 04 wrx will bolt straight on to a 99 forrester gt,

Any info ia greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced

edit:don't know if this is in the right place.

Riggs 31-08-2011 11:30 AM

Dont bother theres no advantage, get a GD STI one.

dinski 31-08-2011 10:32 PM

[QUOTE=Riggs;602686]Dont bother theres no advantage, get a GD STI one.[/QUOTE]

I'm selling the tmic and I think someone's doing a rebuild on their foz and asked me if it'll be a straight Bolt on

ps sorry for lack of info

ALPHA 14-09-2011 01:48 PM

Some advice needed:

[U]I have:[/U]
- MY99 GF8
- Stock TD04 Turbo (Will be getting VF34 in ~ 12 - 18 months)
- 3" Turbo back exhaust
- Apexi Panel filter with no resonator and large duct pipe.

My questions are:

Will a FMIC be any good with my planned Turbo or will I still suffer FMIC Lag?

I will not consider a PW intercooler - its way over priced - So its a choice between the following: GD Series STi TMIC - with some modding.. or a "I think Ebay spec?" TMIC a friend is selling with the following specs: Aluminum "380x160x100mm" <- Core size. And "470x300x120mm" total size.

I know its a cheap one VS STi and I know everyone loves The STi TMIC's - heck so do I but at the end of the day I want to know if the cheaper one will do the job.. Will it handle the VF34 later on and will it be any better than my stock MY99 TMIC.

Thanks for your advice and please.. I dont want to hear the Ebay abuse - I don't know if its from eBay or not I just suspect it is. Heck I'll probably get the STi one anyway I just want to know some info.

ALPHA 14-09-2011 01:52 PM

* Also want to know if a front strut brace will fit over the above TMICs.

Cheers!

Kato 14-09-2011 02:13 PM

Simple.

All FMIC will be laggy as they have more pipework that needs to be 'charged'. You can minimise the lag, but at great expense. For a TD04, FMIC is wank. Even a VF34 on a mild to heavy tune doesn't need it.

Ebay coolers are cheap ass shite bar and plate. You may as well stick a heat sink on your engine as all it will do is heat up and make your intake temps shocking causing shite performance.

STi cooler is tube and fin so a much, much, much better design for heat exhange. If you can get the Spec C unit which is better again (has the dimpled top tank). MY99 won't require much modification to install the STi TMIC and you should be able to fit a strut brace easily. I have a Cusco strut brace with STi TMIC on my MY98.

ALPHA 14-09-2011 02:17 PM

Awesome, yet again! Many thanks for your advice Kato.

Dave at Stechnic has a second hand STi TMIC - have a feeling its a normal GD STi unit not a Spec C unit. - Asking $400 but its a bit banged up so I might have a quick look around first!

red dragon2002 14-09-2011 04:31 PM

everyone always says the spec c is better than the standard sti, better flow or something? and realisticly what diffrence would there be from the two? is this just another statement that has no proof? for e.g the sti cooler vs pw

Riggs 14-09-2011 04:45 PM

Spec C has a teeny weeny bit less lag due to the notch on the hot side, less time to fill with air. Not much else different apart from the wank factor of having a Spec C cooler.

Still crimped at the seams, still same size core.

If you already have GD STI cooler I wouldnt bother getting a Spec C one unless you want to use it for dick measuring.