Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Munted73 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGSTi View Post
Do you know what your doing or have any previous tuning experience? If not spend 1k to save yourself 15!
Not really but Im learning quickly and dont really have a choice, its $1200 too btw (ASG), but its been two weeks since I went there and they downloaded my ROM, I think they are having difficulties getting the MY11 ECU defs sorted, Ive called and emailed a couple of times but no joy/reply

Anyway, an update... I fitted the TBE and TMIC, the the PW TMIC fitted up ok but wasnt exactly straight forward, cheap arse hose clamps had to be replaced with decent ones, and the bonnet scoop deflector/duct fit up wasnt good quality and had to be modded/re-drilled to make it look like a bought one.

Im impatient so I fitted the TurboXS TBE, its fit wasnt great either, the passenger side muffler rubbed against the shock strut so I hand to bend muffler hangers etc and then redress the work so it all looked even from the back. It sounds nice out side but a bit droney or luffy (??) inside when cruising. The gearbox to downpipe mount supplied is crap too. Other than that fit up was good. The turbo and bypass gas noises sound good too!!

Anyway on the way back from the gym yesterday I had a run with a VE SSV, kicked its butt until 2nd to 3rd - then big bang lunge etc and cruise light, stability control light flashing, CEL codes up etc went home and used Learning View to reset ECU and clear CEL etc but it doesnt support MY11 so couldnt find out what happened, Im guessing over boost or something to do with knock. Worst of all SSV bogan thought he won legitimately!!

So its back into the garage for my beautiful Grey MY11 (3000k's) and back to getting the shit arse train to work until I can get a tune sorted, as I cant be trusted to drive out of boost or in closed loop fueling.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

What Jaron was mentioning, is a couple of grand on tuning now may save you $10,000's on replacing an engine later... If you are self tuning and learning along the way.

The newer cars are absolute nightmares to tune and it takes some time for the community to develop complete definition files for all the different fuel maps etc that exist.

My advice would be to call MMS/RT and enquire about ECUTek if ASG aren't giving you the answers you want. This will be a much better option than dak dak boom since you might forget to tune a low load fuel map or something.

Also, if you get a CEL up after an issue, don't just clear it... Read the code! Find out what caused the issue. It was most likely only boost cut, but best to have all the information at hand.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Munted - Your lucky, your CEL errors could have been a blown motor.

Let this be a lesson to anyone modding exhaust, intakes, etc - TUNE!
Old 22-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
What Jaron was mentioning, is a couple of grand on tuning now may save you $10,000's on replacing an engine later... If you are self tuning and learning along the way.

The newer cars are absolute nightmares to tune and it takes some time for the community to develop complete definition files for all the different fuel maps etc that exist.

My advice would be to call MMS/RT and enquire about ECUTek if ASG aren't giving you the answers you want. This will be a much better option than dak dak boom since you might forget to tune a low load fuel map or something.

Also, if you get a CEL up after an issue, don't just clear it... Read the code! Find out what caused the issue. It was most likely only boost cut, but best to have all the information at hand.
As I mentioned, tried to but my ECU wasnt supported, if you can advise an alternate way to read the codes I would most def do it.
I understand where Jaron was coming from and appreciate his comment, Im not going to tune myself, but others can tune online from logs etc. I cant justify 2.5K on a tune from MMS either so will wait until something comes up.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:57 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Sounds like boost cut.. but mate, PLEASE do not drive the car like that until you get it tuned.. or at least go back to the stock exhaust (or just cat back) until that time.

My wife's MY09 has an X-Force cat back that fits absolutely 100% perfectly, and has not thrown any CEL's or caused overboosting. The turbo back part is the bit that causes the problems with the ECU!
Old 22-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munted73 View Post
As I mentioned, tried to but my ECU wasnt supported, if you can advise an alternate way to read the codes I would most def do it.
ECUDataScan
Will read and clear codes.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
Sounds like boost cut.. but mate, PLEASE do not drive the car like that until you get it tuned.. or at least go back to the stock exhaust (or just cat back) until that time.

My wife's MY09 has an X-Force cat back that fits absolutely 100% perfectly, and has not thrown any CEL's or caused overboosting. The turbo back part is the bit that causes the problems!
Its cool, shes in the shed, wife would go beserk if it killed it!!
Old 22-11-2010, 11:59 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
ECUDataScan
Confirmed that these work on the Betty's too.. I borrowed Dave's, works mint on the MY09
Old 22-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
ECUDataScan
Cheers mate will get that, Im pretty sure its boost cut too after what Ive read on 3gwrx.
Old 22-11-2010, 12:29 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

welcome to use mine to read code mate

Tags
mods, my11, sedan, wrx