Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff
Exclamation Update on failing brakes!!!

A few weeks back, I made a thread outlining what had happened when I tried to do a quick U-Turn and how my brakes had literally failed!! (MY01 WRX)

Well....

Today, whilst driving around, I was in the process of making an abrupt U-Turn in a side street off West Coast Highway, just off Sorrento Beach parking station in a side street/cul-de-sac, and I was braking whilst turning into the cul-de-sac, going around 50km/h on the brakes and turning at the same time, and all of a sudden, they just simply "cut out" at the worst possible time, the car then mounted the persons property half on the driveway, half on the grass, heading towards a brick wall!! :O I managed to steer away from this fortunately. I literally had my foot flat on the clutch and on the brake to no avail, and with not enough time to rip the e-brake.

Scary stuff tho, just the insecurity knowing that if a car crashes in front of me for example, if i turn hard and jump on the breaks, they don't work?? :/

I am SURE this is nothing to do with the ABS...why would it completely cut off all braking power to all wheels????

I was braking while turning, and i did some "testing" after this had happened, and discovered, that even at 20-30km/h, when i turn to roughly half lock, the brake pedal, just doesn't even engage, all i feel is like it just scrapes along something and is pushed back towards my foot making strange noises. (people will say this is ABS, but how?? and why?)

Kinda worried over all this, it's due in for a service this week (112,000kms) so I will talk to subaru about it..??

Comments, ideas, thoughts, greatly appreciated??

2 major things: I was not driving like a complete dick, and the handbrake was not involved at all, before i get people abusing me for driving like a dick....

Cheers

Brett

Tags
brakes, failing, fml, update