Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 05:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated
Default Engine light- Anyone Sor with scanner?

Hey guys, after soksta reset my check engine light i've done a few more highway drives and been driving the car daily quiet far but never used fifth gear, even at highway speeds. Today, i was sick of the 3.5krpm drone and shifted to fifth, within seconds the light had come on.

This problem only seems to occur in fifth gear, there's no mods to my my01 wrx and i've replaced the exhaust sensors. Is there anyone SoR who could scan and clear this code, and tell me what's causing it if possible?
Old 13-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

WHat is the code that was cleared?
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 13-08-2011, 07:41 PM
STI Master

SweLLy at standard level

im in cannington, if you want to shoot me a pm
Old 13-08-2011, 07:41 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

I don't believe his scanner said there was an issue, after we unplugged it the CEL magically dissapeared. Prior to that, it was a rear 02 sensor, which has since been replaced, and since then, has once registered as a heat sensor?
Old 13-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Without a fault code its a little hard, front and rear A/F and o2 sensors both have a heater circuit.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 13-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
WHat is the code that was cleared?
None unfortunately.
The ECUDataScan didn't list any error code at all

Turned the car off and then turned it back on to see what the error code was and the CEL had cleared.
Sorry to hear that it has come back, but I hope you get it sorted out
Old 13-08-2011, 08:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

Yeah, car runs fine but its just annoying seeing that darn light! Would be nice to know whats causing the issue, so it can be rectified =(
Old 13-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

Not sure if this is of any help, but I had a phantom CEL for a bit. The car had issues starting and would throw a CEL, or sometimes at idle, the revs would drop and I would get a CEL. Gave the car a tap on the accelerator and the car would be fine again. But the CEL would remain on.

It would remain on for the 5? starts and then go away by itself.

Now, I would never attempt to check the code straight away. So if it was the idle issue say, I would be going to Bunnings for instance and it would happen on the way there. I would then park the car and get what I wanted & then start the car again and go home. Pull out the ECU Datascan & No codes found, or whatever it says, came up. This is still with the CEL on the dash lit up. I even took it to Subaru and they could not get a code.

What I found was by turning the car off, even once, within the 5 starts, before the code resets itself (CEL turns off), the code could not be read. I managed to get the code by not turning the car off, from the first instance when it came up. We managed to get the code, using the Evolution R code pulling machine, when the car was on the dyno at there. But then using my ECU data scan I could do it by myself, again, by having the ECU Datascan in the car with me and plugging it in as soon as the CEL came up.

You seem to know when it is going to happen, i.e:- going into 5th so maybe you could force it to happen with a borrowed, or someone with one in the car with the scanner, to see if the same thing applies that has happened to me.

It might not, but its worth a try. Especially as you seem to know when its going to happen & you can make it happen easily?

Hope this helps.

Simon.
Old 13-08-2011, 08:54 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

WRX_GF8 at standard level

Im in mandurah area and have a scanner if you live this far sor...
Old 13-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughStilin View Post
Not sure if this is of any help, but I had a phantom CEL for a bit. The car had issues starting and would throw a CEL, or sometimes at idle, the revs would drop and I would get a CEL. Gave the car a tap on the accelerator and the car would be fine again. But the CEL would remain on.

It would remain on for the 5? starts and then go away by itself.

Now, I would never attempt to check the code straight away. So if it was the idle issue say, I would be going to Bunnings for instance and it would happen on the way there. I would then park the car and get what I wanted & then start the car again and go home. Pull out the ECU Datascan & No codes found, or whatever it says, came up. This is still with the CEL on the dash lit up. I even took it to Subaru and they could not get a code.

What I found was by turning the car off, even once, within the 5 starts, before the code resets itself (CEL turns off), the code could not be read. I managed to get the code by not turning the car off, from the first instance when it came up. We managed to get the code, using the Evolution R code pulling machine, when the car was on the dyno at there. But then using my ECU data scan I could do it by myself, again, by having the ECU Datascan in the car with me and plugging it in as soon as the CEL came up.

You seem to know when it is going to happen, i.e:- going into 5th so maybe you could force it to happen with a borrowed, or someone with one in the car with the scanner, to see if the same thing applies that has happened to me.

It might not, but its worth a try. Especially as you seem to know when its going to happen & you can make it happen easily?

Hope this helps.
Cool Story Bro!
But what was the code in your case? It may be the same thing
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i

Tags
engine, light, scanner, sor