Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

kayarubin at standard level

I was going to say it could be a fuel issue, which to me sounds like a logical explanation. Considering my POS na liberty suffers from quite audible detonation on a hot day, even using a tank of 95. Add a turbo to the mix and things aren't looking good in terms of making much power. Also how did you come onto power? Did you just stab the accelerator or ease it on? How does the car run on a day like today? (22' or so)

Kaya.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Jordiee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayarubin View Post
I was going to say it could be a fuel issue, which to me sounds like a logical explanation. Considering my POS na liberty suffers from quite audible detonation on a hot day, even using a tank of 95.
Kaya.
that shouldn't be happening
Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

It will it has done 300 000km and is a bit loose, or head head gaskets done, and the machining raised the static comp.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Sulph at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayarubin View Post
I was going to say it could be a fuel issue, which to me sounds like a logical explanation. Considering my POS na liberty suffers from quite audible detonation on a hot day, even using a tank of 95. Add a turbo to the mix and things aren't looking good in terms of making much power. Also how did you come onto power? Did you just stab the accelerator or ease it on? How does the car run on a day like today? (22' or so)

Kaya.

With 95 it runs perfectly on days like today, I guess I'll just use 98 all the time then, if it helps with the hotter days
Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

conversely, the turbz will actually go harder if it's getting hot gas from nice hot headers from the exhaust system. It's just the intake you want as cool as possible. we try to find this balance, which is difficult as having one object red hot on one side and cool on the other is the challenge.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Only STI must use 98 RON fuel all the time, WRX is fine on 95, well a completely standard one is anyway.
You should stick to one or the other though, as the ECM will learn and add timing for 98. You might get a bit of ping now and then, even if you cant hear it.
I still think you need to get it scanned and make sure theres no codes.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

kayarubin at standard level

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayarubin
I was going to say it could be a fuel issue, which to me sounds like a logical explanation. Considering my POS na liberty suffers from quite audible detonation on a hot day, even using a tank of 95.
Kaya.

that shouldn't be happening
I know this, it's only when it's on high load and low rpm. Knock sensor is probably effed, but oh well. It's Only an ej22 with nearly 300k on it. There's bound to be something wrong with the old girl. But back to the subject, I think get it looked at, as johnvk7 said run a scan and see if there are any codes if you're worried about it etc. Hope it's nothing worse than an intermittent knock sensor fault!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Sir AntiLag

drewgong at standard level

My sti runs like crap at over 30 degrees outside temp.. I defenitely notice loss of power and have been worried a few times about problems,, but then when airs 25 and under it boosts earlier and pulls harder and I grin and laugh at myself for thinking there's problems. I put it down to air density and maybe the intercooler being less efficient as well.. I'm no mechanic bit is my experience on this

Tags
affect, heat, stock, turbos