Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 06:17 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Sonic at standard level

I may do as Shazza has mentioned do what I can myself and have a Subaru tech give me a hand with the real tricky stuff, fuck if simply trying build a engine scares ppl why even get up in the morning? Any how when I get my hands on some good info, books and all the rest ill start my build and upload pictures and info along the way ;-)

If it fails ill learn and do it again until I'm winning!
Old 17-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Sign me up!
Sir AntiLag

Reverb at standard level

Building an engine requires precision measuring, calculations, having calibrated tooling, knowing the specifications for clearances, gaps, torques, degree of torque turns. Normally beyond hobby level peoples skill levels, there is a reason why you pay people good money to do this type of work.

As making a mistake is going to have a dramatic affect of the life of the engine and your bank account. A rebuild may require new parts, gaskets, fasteners.

I seriously don't recommend it unless you know what you are doing. I have come across mechanics that haven't even known how to properly build an engine.
perthzed likes this.
Old 17-11-2012, 07:06 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

shazza at standard level

have you had any mechanical background?
Old 17-11-2012, 09:52 PM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

There's a difference between having a go and jumping in at the deep end.
Sounds like you are using the Rotto Classic to learn to swim.

When I wanted to build my first Mini performance engine 25 years ago I made a deal with a mechanic. I paid for all the parts, and we assembled it together at his place using his knowledge & tools and my sweat & enthusiasm. I doubled my knowledge in a matter of weeks.
perthzed, Home-C, Sonic and 1 others like this.

Last edited by AWDmoke; 17-11-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: coz
Old 17-11-2012, 10:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

rufazz at standard level

ha ha ha i read most of theses post and think have any of the negative commented guy actully built a engine ? seriousley have you lol

Its not friggen rocket science it taks a bit to learn but can be done read and trial read and trial

the hard part is in the tune but then again we did people learn to tune guess what five of perts top tuners all taught them selfs with a little info

apparantly the 13bt is the most hardest engine to build to understand thats why no ones wont to touch them except for a minor few lol.

well guess what my first rotor i built went 10.60 ha ha ha and people said i coulnd not do it

my first turbo v8 went 640 rwhp and i was told i was stupid in attempting

so guess what im going to have a crack at a dislexic engine the boxer forged pistonies etc if i blow it up well boo hoo

how hard is it to get block machined get crank checked file some piston rings and away you go

seems like people are trying to make some thing sound harder than it could be,its his cash encourage him to do some thing cool

its looks way scarer to me pulling theses engines out rather than assemble a block and heads
Sonic likes this.
Old 17-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level
Wink

Would go awdmoke's way, learn and do it the right way. Do not have to be MMS etc, there are others on here who build boxer engines. Use their knowledge, and be able to talk about different bits, something a book can't do. That said an expensive hipo engine wouldn't be my first choice, mine would be a datsun/carolla/v6.commodore/falcon

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 17-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

FFS..... It's not rocket science as already pointed out.

Anyone can build an engine - get good first hand info from those that know and go from there - most of all take your time and triple check every measurement!......seeing MORE DIY projects is freaking great!!

I'd recommend speaking to Neil Herbert at the engine exchange and also have them do all the machining (torque plate honing etc). Neil also races a GC8.

Here's a couple of threads to help you get going:

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanic...ine-build.html

and my build:

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanic...ine-build.html

Sorry but facebook has changed their photo links so there's missing images in my build thread - If I wasn't off to Macau at 6am I'd sit here and relink them all now. maybe i'll get around to it next week sometime.
jasonmurray and Sonic like this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 18-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Sign me up!
From one V8 to another!

jasonmurray at standard level

^ QFT

Its not hard to do. All you need to do is be confident and 100% certain in what you are doing is correct. At the end of the day the only person who you are going to harm is yourself and your wallet. Give it a shot and if it doesnt work out, cut your losses and learn from them. If you dont try then you will not learn from your mistakes.

I was the same when I tuned my car and got xxxHP atw... it wasnt the best result but I never blew up my motor and didnt bust anything by doing it myself. Its all about learning and if you can afford to do it... then fkn do it! Otherwise start off, as other have said, including Joseph, by purchasing a fkd 205 and plonk it in when you think its 100% ready to go. That way you are not going to lose anything other than time to remove your old engine and fit the "new" one, plus anything that you have spent along the way.

One thing we need to do is encourage more people to try and learn the trade of DIY mechanics / handyman like our fathers did. As my father and my grandfather said "you will only learn from your mistakes".
Master D, Tiigga and Sonic like this.

TEAM オレンジ

Dyno queen
Old 18-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Scoobie Noobie

tukangbaso at standard level

we're lucky this day and age that there;s so many info on how to do it just by googling it.
i reckon you should give it a go and the main thing is measure it first and always crank it over by hand make sure nothing is touching where it's not mean to be other than that it will just run like a donkey but it won't blow up.
i;ve rebuild a few 4 bangers but never a boxer so it will be interesting to see how it goes and if you need some tools that you might only use once i might have it somewhere and you're always welcome to borrow it
Sonic likes this.
Old 18-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmurray View Post
^ QFT

Its not hard to do. All you need to do is be confident and 100% certain in what you are doing is correct. At the end of the day the only person who you are going to harm is yourself and your wallet. Give it a shot and if it doesnt work out, cut your losses and learn from them. If you dont try then you will not learn from your mistakes.

I was the same when I tuned my car and got xxxHP atw... it wasnt the best result but I never blew up my motor and didnt bust anything by doing it myself. Its all about learning and if you can afford to do it... then fkn do it! Otherwise start off, as other have said, including Joseph, by purchasing a fkd 205 and plonk it in when you think its 100% ready to go. That way you are not going to lose anything other than time to remove your old engine and fit the "new" one, plus anything that you have spent along the way.

One thing we need to do is encourage more people to try and learn the trade of DIY mechanics / handyman like our fathers did. As my father and my grandfather said "you will only learn from your mistakes".
"You know what my grandfather said?

Get Back To Work!" - Sanka, cool runnings

Tags
boxer, build, engine, fuk me people spelling and grammar!!!!!!!!!, i have to split the atom..wish me luck, scratch