Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
When installing a 6pt harness to a Subaru, is it acceptable to use the bolt hole for the front seat, inner rear leg to secure the lap-sash?
Yes. This is the usual mounting point.

Quote:
The crotch straps I have put metal base plates on the underside of the car, and threaded the eyebolts into. There is a reinforcing ridge in the floor of the car directly below the seat, and I have put the crotch strap base plates on either side of the reinforcing ridge directly below the seat opening. This seams like a strong point. And lines up near perfectly with the seat position.
Usually you weld a bar inside the cabin under the seat which is used to mount the crotch strap to.
I have seen it done with doubler plates going through the floor, but most the only thing to note here
is that if something happens to catch the bolt head underneath the car, it may rip you nutsack off.

Last edited by Saint_23; 03-08-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

ratpack at standard level

Child bearing hips and a nutsack?? This some sort of Kardashian/Jenner construction??
Old 03-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:
One final question. What is the ideal way of tackiling the SRS system? Is it better to simply put resistors in the seat airbags and seatbelt pretensioners wiring. And try and keep the steering wheel (and passenger dash) airbag in operation. Or is it preffered to totoally disable the SRS system alltogether?
If you are using a 6 point harness a airbag is useless as you aren't going to move from your seat. harnesses physically restrain you unlike seat belts ( clearly duh) however you would want to check your insurance as if you have the car still registered, disabling safety features and removing airbags is normally enough to void any insurance you would have in the event of a crash.

Race car point of view - remove everything you don't need as all the airbags and everything are heavy.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpack View Post
Child bearing hips and a nutsack?? This some sort of Kardashian/Jenner construction??
its great. you should try it. best bit is, you can go fuck yourself. haha
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_23 View Post
Yes. This is the usual mounting point.

Usually you weld a bar inside the cabin under the seat which is used to mount the crotch strap to.
I have seen it done with doubler plates going through the floor, but most the only thing to note here
is that if something happens to catch the bolt head underneath the car, it may rip you nutsack off.
great thanks for the reply.

I do like my nuts, and would not like to have them ripped off. Have ypu got any photos showing the type of mounting your talking about?

Its not the lowest point of the floor on a forester. there is a large ridge/channel (maybe 50mm^2 on the bottom of the floor pan running front to back directly below the seat. i currently have those base plates on the bottom of the floor on either side of the channel. So they sit up maybe 40-50mm from the lowest section of the channel. but i guess it could collect a curb or something if you were incredibly unlucky?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:01 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master D View Post
If you are using a 6 point harness a airbag is useless as you aren't going to move from your seat. harnesses physically restrain you unlike seat belts ( clearly duh) however you would want to check your insurance as if you have the car still registered, disabling safety features and removing airbags is normally enough to void any insurance you would have in the event of a crash.

Race car point of view - remove everything you don't need as all the airbags and everything are heavy.
ok. the only SRS stuff left after seats and belts are removed will be the 2 front airbags. (and all the sensors and module.)

I might dissable the SRS completely, but leave the drivers airbag in place. (because STi badge and horn pad. and see if its possible to remove the passenger bag, but leave the dash panel intact?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Quote:
great thanks for the reply.

I do like my nuts, and would not like to have them ripped off. Have ypu got any photos showing the type of mounting your talking about?

Its not the lowest point of the floor on a forester. there is a large ridge/channel (maybe 50mm^2 on the bottom of the floor pan running front to back directly below the seat. i currently have those base plates on the bottom of the floor on either side of the channel. So they sit up maybe 40-50mm from the lowest section of the channel. but i guess it could collect a curb or something if you were incredibly unlucky?
Trying to dig up a decent photo of one.
Something like this would work. At least then the bolts aren't a "direct-to-nuts" connection.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:26 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

ok gotcha.

What would you think about using a plate on top of the floor pan sandwiched between the eyebolt and the car floor panel, with the mounting anchor plate still on the bottom of the floor. At least that way if it does get hit on the bottom, it wont pull out the bottom. and if you are in a crash, the crotch belts wont pull up either.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

I welded a bar to my seat rail frame on mine. Harness attached to that.

http://kap.industries/
Old 03-08-2015, 01:52 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
I welded a bar to my seat rail frame on mine. Harness attached to that.
thats a good option Russ. It would seam possible with the Kyouu base plates i have now. The only issue i can think of is if the straps/adjusters are then too close to the opening in the seat bottom?

Tags
car, crash, race, safety