Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 06:01 AM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

Stage 2 brahh

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 19-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Wtf is a mild tune? Its either tuned or not.
Agree!
This sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Umm no, a V5 STi ECU won't magically fix it. For starters get rid of the BOV and boost controller. I would suggest you seek out some advice from a reputable workshop....remember nothing comes cheap in this game. Talk to All Star Garage in Malaga for options.
Old 19-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Scoobie Noobie

DanGT at standard level
Smile

Thanks LukeB
You've answered my question and reconfirmed my thoughts of winding down boost for safety. Awesome! Thanks mate.
Also thanks for telling me about the ecu reset.
I'll defiantly look into that. Cheers mate.
Just wanted to go 'a bit faster than stock', but Lo oks like I'll just wait till I get the pay out then have a new STI worked and tuned to a 12sec scoobie (only after I buy a house says the Mrs lol) Haha (waiting sucks)

Nauli, so you're saying the STIs and the foresters run the same boost and air/fuel ratio standard? Interesting. Don't the standard bpv's leak under higher boost? And how do you wind up 'boost' without a 'boost controller'? (I'm no mechanic, just a noobie to the mod game. So be gentle lol)
The mechanics you sudgessed must be good to get more boost inexpensively without a boost controller, ecu or a dyno tune. I'll have to look them up. Cheers
Old 19-04-2016, 08:39 AM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

There's no cheap short cut way to do it, the workshop Nauli put forward will be recommending a dyno tune for your modifications and the extra boost you want to run. The standard BPV will be of no concern for a moderate power or boost increase, they may have issues after 20psi.

Given your expectations and lack of knowledge in this case, I wouldn't be worrying about a 12 second STi at this stage. It's never as cheap as you think.
astralex likes this.
Old 19-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGT View Post
And how do you wind up 'boost' without a 'boost controller'? (I'm no mechanic, just a noobie to the mod game. So be gentle lol)
The mechanics you sudgessed must be good to get more boost inexpensively without a boost controller, ecu or a dyno tune. I'll have to look them up. Cheers
You go to a tuner and the tuner determines the safest, highest level of boost your engine will take before detonation. Your tuner may suggest changing the stock boost solenoid to an aftermarket boost solenoid. Don't get those confused with controllers. Controllers just allow the driver to crank in more boost. It's stupid and dangerous (for your engine). A boost controller will not tell the ECU to compensate for that extra boost or to change other parameters (timing advance, fuel, etc). That's what you pay a tuner for.

Don't bother looking up ASG as nauli suggested. He failed to see you lived in Brisbane. You'll need to do some more homework on another forum or make some phone calls.
matto20v likes this.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Scoobie Noobie

DanGT at standard level
Talking

Cheers Trolley.
I though so! From what the other guys said, the only way to increase boost would be a proper tune. Nauli was telling me I just had to make some phone calls to mechanics but what he didn't know was they would say exactly what I said I couldn't do in the beginning. "I can't afford a tune at the moment". So that option is out the window!
So suggesting it is just retarded.
I'm winding down the boost to 12 or ever 11psi. This is just my daily drive to get me by another 6months to 2 years (until my court case is over).

As for JRecardo's comment about "expectations and lack of knowledge" I'm sorry I wasn't born a full blown race mechanic like you, tiger.
So you built your first race engine at 3grs old did you?
Not everyone is perfect and knows everything (note my previous comment "I'm no mechanic. Just a noobie to the mod game. So be gentle")
Thank for holding back champ.
As for getting a 12second STI, you said "nothing is as cheap as you think", so you're telling me $120k WONT get a 12sec car??? Bahaha
I won't even have to spend that much to get a 2016/2017 STI running height to mid 12's. I doubt I'll have to spend more than $10k on the brand new STI.
From what ive read they run mid 13's from the factory, so I think a stage 4 kit fully tuned should be enough. But by the time I might have the whole engine and running gear custom built from scratch as money won't be an issue.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Nah mate you will need a stage 5 kit and a pack of tampons to run 12's.
TROLLEY, Bram and nick73 like this.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Injectors/fuel pump/tune to limit of turbo on e85 = 12 second STi, nuff said thanks bye.
Old 20-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

Quote:
Nauli was telling me I just had to make some phone calls to mechanics but what he didn't know was they would say exactly what I said I couldn't do in the beginning. "I can't afford a tune at the moment". So that option is out the window!
So suggesting it is just retarded.
No, you're retarded. This has been suggested, many times, because it is the solution. If that option is out the window, park it up until you can afford it.

Quote:
I'm winding down the boost to 12 or ever 11psi. This is just my daily drive to get me by another 6months to 2 years (until my court case is over).
It'll be your daily lawn ornament once you start melting holes through pistons.

Quote:
As for JRecardo's comment about "expectations and lack of knowledge" I'm sorry I wasn't born a full blown race mechanic like you, tiger.
So you built your first race engine at 3grs old did you?
Not everyone is perfect and knows everything (note my previous comment "I'm no mechanic. Just a noobie to the mod game. So be gentle")
This statement implies you have a lack of knowledge on the subject. Hence the comment.

Quote:
But by the time I might have the whole engine and running gear custom built from scratch as money won't be an issue.
Str8 up Balla.

This is a helpful place. People here loving helping out where they can.
You asked a question, it got answered. Don't start throwing your toys out of the pram because it wasn't the answer you were looking for.

These people are trying to help. They really couldn't give a fuck if you have to catch the bus until your dole check comes through.
shaunus, nick73 and JRecardo like this.
Old 20-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Perth Zed?
nick73 likes this.

Tags
13psi, boost, cut, defender, ecu, fuel, pinging, stock