Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

OllieJ at standard level

My first car was a 89 TT zed Was perfectly reliable, was decently quick (250kwish) and very nice to drive.

Sold it for decent $$ because it was 17 years old and which ever way you cut it thats getting old.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Heiffe at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Heiffe

Go for it, as long as your buying a clean example mechanically and cosmetically then you wont find a piece of engineering like it cheaper . The handling is exceptional and even the NAs have more than enough go for some fun. I own an 89 Jspec NA 5spd as a daily driver and couldnt be happier with it. If you go NA then you have the choice of buying the Aus spec versions (NA only) up to 1997.

The guys here are right, if your buying a car without the major maintenance work done/unknown history be prepared to spend some cash (especially TTs).
Beware there are ALOT of garbage Z32's out there which are indeed a detriment to the Z32 marque. Like any performance car or any car really, if they dont get treated well after time they will break down, simple as that. The usual stuff flying around, you dont need to remove the engine for basic work (the bay is just a tad tighter than your average ), and to be honest after becoming familiar with it have found it to be quite simple . I suggest having a good read/search on the Australian 300zx Association forums, in particular the tech section for any thing you might want to know...its all there. If its not there by searching then just ask .

If you want to ring an experienced zedder then I suggest Tom from Perth Zed Performance . Hes just set up a Z32 specific business and should be able to answer any queries!

Cheers
Alex
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

AntonRX at standard level

i would not recomend it. My mate has one and has had troubles with it constantly. Parts are exspensive, everything is very difficult to do when something breaks as you can't get to anything and they are getting fairly old now. For example someone smashed his window at the traino and he had to get a second hand window from over east cause everywhere else was too exspensive. Cost him 285 plus postage and that was very cheap compared to some. He has already had the engine rebuilt since he has had it, also he has a knock sensor that needs replacing atm and thats gona cost around 800+ as you have to take out gearbox or take off the manifold to get to it. Obviously not all 300zx's may have this many problems but his car is a 93 and did seem to be in good condition when he brought it.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

mate... they chew the fuel and run really bad in the heat.. they have overheating issues.. do anything but a 300xz.. even get a datsun sunny over one of em!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

A mate of mine has one, in 3yrs of ownership it's been off the road for half of that & cost him over 50g just to keep it on the road.....Auto & stock, he drives like an old lady, wiring harnesses corrode & die, 2 X 2nd hand motors, 2 tranny re builds, dash out 3 times for air, motor out for hose......the list goes on & on & on
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 23-05-2007, 10:08 AM
vbevan

Thumbs down

I know this thread is kinda old but seriously, if you're gonna bag a car, try to learn a little about it before offering advice:

Quote:
I wouldnt do it. I have seen heaps of them on the back of flatbed's... Plus they are so old... what made in 89? There are way better cars you can get for the price range that are going to be newer... I would steer clear.
This guy doesn't know anything about them. Like me saying "didn't they make imprezas in like '93? The last 300ZX was made at the end of 99 and was a "2000 spec".

Quote:
you will regret it, the engine needs to be removed for even the most basic maintenance tasks.
Indeed, changing the oil filter takes me so long for this exact reason. Geez talk about exaggeration.

Quote:
from what i'v been told the stock turbo's are very small, what boost do they run stock?
This guy thinks that turbo size has to do with how much boost you run (ok it does, but not in the way he's suggesting). Forgivable, but he's giving advice on boost levels being resposible for power levels when it's efficiency that is more to do with turbo size. BTW, we run 9 psi stock and you run like 12 I think, hardley a huge difference, espicially as we get more power and torque out of that 9 than you do out of that 12

Quote:
I was going to get one years ago, my old mans good mate (used to own the Toy Shop) advised me not to go near them, have major electric problems which turn into major $$$ Get her a Soarer, they are the best car for their money. I had a V8 and it was so good, I miss it! the TT's rock however the ceramic doovahikies in the turbo can give you grief if they haven't been replaced or some crap
This one takes the cake. He recommends a soarer, a heavier, slower car and then says to worry about the "ceramic doovahikies in the turbo". I would assume he means turbines lol, despite the fact that we have steel turbines while his beloved soarer has ceramic ones (well not the V8, but this guy wanted a fast car and the TT soarer is much quicker than the V8).

Quote:
If you want to ring an experienced zedder then I suggest Tom from Perth Zed Performance . Hes just set up a Z32 specific business and should be able to answer any queries!
Finally some good advice, though appears to have been given by a 300zx owner surprise surprise

Quote:
they chew the fuel and run really bad in the heat.. they have overheating issues.. do anything but a 300xz.. even get a datsun sunny over one of em!
In good condition they won't chew more fuel than any other similar size and performance car. Mine isn't fantastic for milage atm, but that's because my lock-up solenoid got damaged when I tried to be a WRX and went bush-bashing by accident And a Datsun Sunny?

Quote:
A mate of mine has one, in 3yrs of ownership it's been off the road for half of that & cost him over 50g just to keep it on the road.....Auto & stock, he drives like an old lady, wiring harnesses corrode & die, 2 X 2nd hand motors, 2 tranny re builds, dash out 3 times for air, motor out for hose......the list goes on & on & on
This guy just needs a better mechanic. Prehaps he should look into a warrenty next time? I assume motor out for hose would be a plenum pull. A recommened task to bypass a pile of useless (in our climate) hoses. A bit of effort sure, but a DIY job if you want it to be. And next time, tell him to get the front half-cut, cause sounds like he got the back half haha.

At the end of the day, I'd say get the 300zx checked out and if it's a decent model go for it. You can pay $40,000+ for a WRX of around $12,000 for a faster, sexier looking car. And it won't be a family car either. And then add another $10,000 into it and you'll have a car in the top 2% of cars on the road and certainly faster than any stock $60,000 STi.

You guys are a funny lot.

On another note, if the guy driving the red WRX I played around with on South St, Carrington st and Leach Hwy (though leach was a while ago) is on here then Howdy. I think it was a WRX (how do you tell the difference between STi and WRX without looking at badges?) and he got me the first time, as he had the initial speed, but the the second time from some lights was really good. He got a better launch (gotta hand you guys the 4WD is nice) but as soon as I got the turbos on I caught up like crazy. He finished with a honk and a wave. Nice guy

BTW, I have a '92 TT 300ZX and the only oney I've spent on it has been tyres, servicing, upgrades and damage that would have happened to any car (like an asshole reversing into me and the driving off without leaving a note).

And our forum is www.aus300zx.com if you want some true information.
Old 23-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Flat Four Father

mr_psi at standard level
Send a message via MSN to mr_psi

lol... there a headache full stop.. mate has got one and have never seen it running properly

thx bai
Old 23-05-2007, 10:16 AM
vbevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_psi
lol... there a headache full stop.. mate has got one and have never seen it running properly
Guess your mates must be the rule rather than the exception ay?
Old 23-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbevan
I know this thread is kinda old but seriously, if you're gonna bag a car, try to learn a little about it before offering advice:

This guy doesn't know anything about them. Like me saying "didn't they make imprezas in like '93? The last 300ZX was made at the end of 99 and was a "2000 spec".

Indeed, changing the oil filter takes me so long for this exact reason. Geez talk about exaggeration.

This guy thinks that turbo size has to do with how much boost you run (ok it does, but not in the way he's suggesting). Forgivable, but he's giving advice on boost levels being resposible for power levels when it's efficiency that is more to do with turbo size. BTW, we run 9 psi stock and you run like 12 I think, hardley a huge difference, espicially as we get more power and torque out of that 9 than you do out of that 12

This one takes the cake. He recommends a soarer, a heavier, slower car and then says to worry about the "ceramic doovahikies in the turbo". I would assume he means turbines lol, despite the fact that we have steel turbines while his beloved soarer has ceramic ones (well not the V8, but this guy wanted a fast car and the TT soarer is much quicker than the V8).

Finally some good advice, though appears to have been given by a 300zx owner surprise surprise

In good condition they won't chew more fuel than any other similar size and performance car. Mine isn't fantastic for milage atm, but that's because my lock-up solenoid got damaged when I tried to be a WRX and went bush-bashing by accident And a Datsun Sunny?

This guy just needs a better mechanic. Prehaps he should look into a warrenty next time? I assume motor out for hose would be a plenum pull. A recommened task to bypass a pile of useless (in our climate) hoses. A bit of effort sure, but a DIY job if you want it to be. And next time, tell him to get the front half-cut, cause sounds like he got the back half haha.

At the end of the day, I'd say get the 300zx checked out and if it's a decent model go for it. You can pay $40,000+ for a WRX of around $12,000 for a faster, sexier looking car. And it won't be a family car either. And then add another $10,000 into it and you'll have a car in the top 2% of cars on the road and certainly faster than any stock $60,000 STi.

You guys are a funny lot.

On another note, if the guy driving the red WRX I played around with on South St, Carrington st and Leach Hwy (though leach was a while ago) is on here then Howdy. I think it was a WRX (how do you tell the difference between STi and WRX without looking at badges?) and he got me the first time, as he had the initial speed, but the the second time from some lights was really good. He got a better launch (gotta hand you guys the 4WD is nice) but as soon as I got the turbos on I caught up like crazy. He finished with a honk and a wave. Nice guy

BTW, I have a '92 TT 300ZX and the only oney I've spent on it has been tyres, servicing, upgrades and damage that would have happened to any car (like an asshole reversing into me and the driving off without leaving a note).

And our forum is www.aus300zx.com if you want some true information.
Dang! Talk about a hater.

Learn how to spell.
Old 23-05-2007, 10:27 AM
vbevan

Sure I made a couple of mistakes. But given then length of my diatribe, I didn't do too badly hey? I've certainly seen many times worse on forums and at least i tried to follow the use of punctuation and capital letters hehe.

I'm looking for someone to criticise one of my points here, not my spelling. Surely you must have a better defense than that? Come on people, little debate can be fun.

Not a hater of WRX's, a hater of people who own WRX's and comment on another car they don't know about. I made sure to at least check my statements, for example your stock boost being 12 psi (though I don't know if that's different for yr model, but it's stock for some).

BTW, still waiting on how to tell a WRX from an STi, without being able to see any badges?

Oh, and surely we can all agree on Honda's having mad VTEC power?

Closed Thread

Tags
300zx, buying