Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree193Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2008, 02:32 PM
STI Master

Fozzy at standard level
Default Health, Fitness and Wellbeing

As the title says lets talk about health, fitness and wellbeing.

I thought it might be an interesting topic to see what people are doing in regards to different levels of fitness what they are doing to get there. It should also generate a small resource for people trying to do the same.

I might as well start.

Basically I was at my parents one day and Dad had bought some flash new scales so we were all taking turns.. To say the least I was horribly embarrassed when I jumped on and the dial spun up to 120 kgs.

So lets set the scene... 24. 120kgs. Unfit as a 70 year old Smoker with cancer and a artificial hip and 2 new knees. It was time for something to be done.

I did some research on what was recommended for someone in my condition and spoke to some people that have an Idea about this sort of thing.

I downloaded a program to help me monitor my food intake and things like that. (I will post links at the end)

Basic plan was to stop eating and drinking shit for 1 month and then start a fairly intense excersise program. During the first month I did some more research and ordered a Polar F4 heart rate monitor which has been an asset.

So today I am 1 month and 3 weeks in. 11 kgs down and running and swimming 3 times a week.

It hasn't been easy and still is not easy. I am however hoping as time goes by it will get far easier.

So without further ado I will post some links to hopefully help some people in the same boat. (Keep in mind I had almost 0 fitness prior to starting all this and was as heavy as a Kia Rio.)

Calorie King - A great program for monitoring food intake, excersise and fluids. http://www.calorieking.com.au/

Polar - Heart Rate monitors
http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/polar/

Polar Personal Trainer - Great to keep track of your excersise with graphs and other fun things.
https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/frontend/

C25K - The couch to 5km running program. Great way to get into running.
http://www.c25k.com

0 to 1 mile - The nothing to 1 mile swimming program. Again a great way to get into swimming.
http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

I hope this can help at least one person out.
Old 19-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

good work scotty!

i've recently taken up golf to get a bit of fitness into my life, it would be better tho if i stopped smoking and drinking burbons whilst i'm doing it at least its better than sitting on my arse playing playstation
Old 19-05-2008, 02:43 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Yeah good topic.

I have recently been put to a challenge, and given my competitive streak i have taken it up. At work internally, we are running a Biggest Loser Comp. Luckily enough we have a gym on site, and a P/T who comes out once a week and rips the shit out of you in a circuit class.

I have been on it for 2 weeks now - Gym 5 times a week (1 hour sessions, fairly brutal) and have been keeping an eye on my diet (no junk food, no carbs at night etc etc) and it's going wicked.

Lost 1.4KG's in the first week and am feeling absolutely awesome. Anyone can do this stuff, it's just finding the time, making a committment not only to the excersise, but to a lifestyle change.

I am going to be losing 10KW over the next 3 months. With a good diet, plenty of excersice and persistence, this will be easily achievable.
Old 19-05-2008, 02:47 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX
I am going to be losing 10KW over the next 3 months.
hahahahha its hard to break the habit on a car forum hey
zver333 likes this.
Old 19-05-2008, 03:19 PM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level

I just did a body transformation competition which was great.

Althought funny enough I am on a winter bulk atm trying to eat as much as possible to put on muscle haha.

Best thing you can do to lose weight (well easiest) is cut your sugar intake by not drinking coke (or atleast switching to Coke Zero and drink more water) aswell as stop drinking alcohol or limit yourself to one good night on the turps a month.

Also if you get your tune checked you might be able to salvage that extra 10KW RichX
Old 19-05-2008, 03:34 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

matthews at standard level

I have been on a diet/life style change for about 1 1/2 months. To date have lost 3kg. Gym 2-3 times a week. Do cardio at gym for about an hour inludeing a 6 km run and weights for about 3/4 hour. Still need to lay of a little on the odd but of junk food and the JD's. Want to loose another 5kg and then reward will be a verso.
Old 19-05-2008, 03:35 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strubaru
hahahahha its hard to break the habit on a car forum hey
Woops !! KG.

And you know you are a petrol head when you compare being on a treadmill to being on a dyno.

Too bad it doesn't spit out a graph - Probably a good thing as i need a retune and am down on power and torque!

Sir AntiLag

jzr at standard level

nice work guys.

i was in the same boat a few years back.

i left high school and starting work in an office. stopped surfing as much as i was and was just partying and drinking a fairbit. I was eating a sausage roll and a 600ml coke for morning tea. a fast food meal for lunch and then a meal for dinner. I noticed the wieght but didnt really care. when my mum told me to weigh myself and said if i was over 100kgs it was time to diet. i wieghed in at just over 111 kgs and being 18 and 5'10 it wasnt the best.

so i started to diet and excercise alot. i took up skateboarding again and surfed as much as i could. i would swim laps at the pool 3 nights a week for 2 hours. i cut out the morning tea and stopped eating fast food. From there i cut down my carb intake i dropped it down to 25 grams of carbs per day. Its not much considering a slice of whole meal bread has approx 8 grams of carbs.

after about 5-6 months of strictness i was down to 74 kgs. last time wieghed i was 78 kgs this was about 4 months ago. So i have kept in a desired wieght for about 3-4 years now.

im just about to start at the gym (tonight actually) but im not going to lift wieghts im only there for cardio for the time being just to get fit for the surf season.

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Well im sure the trials and tribulations of my weight are well known and well mocked.

In late 06 I managed to wipe 50kg in 13 weeks .. from pure hard work etc. However, I let it slip and that hasnt remained.

However, seeing Scotty's efforts and a few other things in life have reminded me I need to get back to it.

Im starting at the worse possible time as winter is closing in, but Im going to go at it hard again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Yep, I need to get back into it. Have plateaued a bit..

Was 114kg about march 07.

103 by the end of 07.

97kgs now.

Target weight is 90kgs..by the end of June so that will require some effort. For me, diet is the key. I love carbs. : (

Tags
do you even lift? srsly, fitness, health, wellbeing