Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

zuum at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_luke View Post
good to see no one is having problems with dale alcock
hate to say but i have not mentioned my builder yet.... hint hint early days so i wont start bagging just yet. finger and toes crossed
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Sir AntiLag

UNDRGND at standard level

people its not the builder its the tradies they use (and sometimes the builders).....

As long as you get a great site supervisor and you spend time (i recomend at least one day a week) going over/inspecting each stage (ie slab down etc) you will be fine.

I am building currently with a top end builder and let me tell you the more money you pay doesnt mean you will get a better job. I have found lots of errors with just my plan, a scale ruler and a measuring tape. But always remeber - as long as they build as per the contract you have no leg to stand on.

SO READ THE CONTRACT and learn it well. If it says that they are allowed 10mm out with walls or cornices etc than thats all their allowed...anything else and you have the right to get it fixed and believe me 10mm over 2m you can tell the diff.

I have bugged my builder every Monday (for the last 5 months) with a list of things that are not per the contract and they have fixed every thing... even if the quality of work is not good enough - as them - would you accept it your house (or display home)

The difference between a good builder and a great builder is the ones who have the balls to tell their tradies to do a better job or fix up errors or they wont get paid.

Remember that you are paying a large sum of money and you have a legally binding contract therefore read the contract (every word) and the actual plans (ask a friend or get a professional opinion).

The best advise I can give you is take a load of photos every angle every stage - even of the display home (if any as its proof on how the quality should be and how things should look)

my 2c
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Josh at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Josh

^^ Didn't want to quote such a large amount of text but that is excellent advice. Probably the most useful post in the past 12 months.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Sir AntiLag

[JAZZIE] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [JAZZIE]

UNDRGND thats pretty much what i did, my site supervisor is awesome. i have not had any dramas with my house so far its all smooth sailing. i only had a few small minor thigns to fix like sand in tracks of sliding doors and silly things like that for my building sign over. I had an inspector go over the house before the bank would release the fund and they were impressed with the quality of work. I went out and met every one of the tradies that worked on my house they were all nice as pie to me. I believe it paid off. Especially with the tiling thru my house. My mate is a high end tiler for the million dollar houses and he said that the tiler that did my work actually knows how to mix the coloured grout properly and seal the corners and what not. so its great when i get appraisals from people from different construction trades. I am one happy camper and i heard nothing but bad things about BGC. as you said its not always the company but the quality of tradies they require. I chose the prime time to build when the job market was going to shit so only the decent tradies were kept on hand apparently?

<3 my house hehe
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Sir AntiLag

UNDRGND at standard level

Thanks Josh - Believe me I have had a bucket loads of exp with houses

Its funny how many people get caught in situation with builders cause they havent read their plans propely and are too embarresed to ask questions.

Builders are not a charity they make money off you and a decent amount (ask jedi-Luke but i would say roughly 20-30%). They wont pay a good tradesman $30 p/h (good quality) when someone is only charging $15 p/h (average quality).

The biggest mistake people make is not getting professional help...especially if its your first house.. I would always recommend you get a building inpspector to go through the house at least 3 times before final handover (maybe slab, plate height, roof covering then again at practical completion). You can even get people to overlook your plans to make sure that eveything is practical (ie oven door can be fully open when dishwasher is fully open) common sense but not always thought of at planning.

A inspection at evey stage will cost you about $3k... too much you say but since your building a house for $500k and you dont know all the building codes and regulations inside out...its a small peice of the pie.

Jazzie - good to hear. Like I said not all builders are bad and many people have have great experiences. The 21k is your money - you can do what you like with it... if you dont have the equity for you loan (inc bank fees) then they use that money to top it up

Cheers

Chris
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 AM
STI Master

B4GT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to B4GT

the reason why the tradies dont give a shit about your house is because they get paid so little for doing it. The builders always rip them off. Remember guys its only a house, they are not worth alot of money, unless your building a mansion with park royal or some other highend builder your house is just another dogbox and will get treated like that because the money is not there to be made for the tradesman.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Sir AntiLag

miss_petepie at standard level

well speaking of building inspectors etc does anyone have any good contacts or recommend anyone that can offer that kind of service? would be handy to have someone check it out for us as we are building our first house also
Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_petepie View Post
well speaking of building inspectors etc does anyone have any good contacts or recommend anyone that can offer that kind of service? would be handy to have someone check it out for us as we are building our first house also
I used the Archicentre and was quite happy, just becareful
as there are 2 with the same name.

Use the one that is OZ wide and with the professional website
not the local 1 with the budget/dodgey site.

They they do inspections at every stage and are fair with their
charges.

There are plenty out there if you just check on the net.

Hope this has been of some help.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

miss_petepie at standard level

im just curious we got our first land rates for 12 months the other day.. and its for vacant land and still comes out at $1120 for 12 months!! they arent even doing anything, no bins, no rubbish collection, no tip passes and water and sewerage connection / being used yet!!! apprently a friend of Mikes my partner is paying $1700 a year on rates for harrisdale

anyone elses up that high? or is that just usual?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

sounds about right was similar while we were building. but now that we are living here my rates were $2000 for the year.

Tags
builders, home