Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

I'm supprised they are somthing hard to find. I would have expected them to be easily available
Old 16-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

AJAYJAY at standard level

even try european foods, my old man runs the show there
get it cheap then re store would sell it

any one have the nespresso machine, it makes the coffee out of little cups
Old 16-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Pod Machine - No different to using pre-packaged ground coffee from the supermarket.
Old 16-11-2009, 01:02 PM

P.S. there is another new cafe in Perth CBD for anyone who is interested.

Tartine's Cafe, at the entrance of Trinity Arcade on St Georges Tce (near Dome, across the road from Allendale Square).

VERY solid. Packing a Synesso Cyncra 3 group and their own Five Senses coffee blend, its about the best you'll find at that end of the CBD.
Old 16-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

wawa at standard level

I like Quokka Joes on Rottnest - they make a decent brew without burning the beans
Coffee Club Joondalup - also makes decent coffee without burning beans
Gloria Jeans - mmm Vanilla or Caramel Latte
A place at E Shed Markets, the little turkish cafe on the outside forget what it is called made me a great caramel latte last week

I avoid Dome as most of their "barista's" burn the beans not to mention taking 20minutes to get a coffee, Caffisimo, most restaruants in general to be honest. I hate the taste of burnt beans or milk so generally if at a cafe I haven't been too before I order a Chai Latte.
Old 16-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Funnily enough, there is no such thing as burning the beans.. just over-extracting the shot which gives the bitter flavour.

Basically, if you can find a cafe where the Barista or PBTC (Person Behind The Counter, for those cafe's who employ 15 year olds to make the coffee) doesn't over-extract the shot, then stick with it..

Here's a hint.. if you see a cafe making 2 coffee's from one shot (where it has the double spout which pours into 2 cups at once), avoid it... this is done to save time and money, and makes a terrible coffee because they need to over-extract the shot to get the coffee volume correct.

When I make a coffee at home, I use 18 grams of grinds per coffee. Most cafe's could probably make 4 coffees with that volume of grinds, but I use that much and cut the shot short to get the volume correct, and the taste perfect.

The start and middle part of the shot extraction holds no bitterness, just the "end" (usually around the 20 second mark onwards for your standard 30ml/30sec industry standard shot). Any good barista will cut it off before the over-extraction begins (when the shot starts going a "blonde" colour), to get the shot just right.

At this point, you can either have a really awesome espresso, or if the milk is added, and frothed properly without overheating, it provides natural sweetness and no sugar will be required.

I still can't work out how some places survive in the tough cafe market, with the sh*t they pass off as coffee!!

Last edited by BALISTC; 16-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 16-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

I love this thread
Even more so than cars and fish (aquarium), coffee is my passion. (Random fact for ya)

As Joe said, if you can find a "decent" cafe in Perth, stick to it! Also as Joe said, intrinsically, an espresso shot should be slightly sweet (more so with a 100% Arabica bean) and should be strong and intense, but not bitter. If your espresso (or however you prefer to drink coffee) has significantly bitter undertones, it is generally because the dose has been over-extracted.
I dont often drink flat whites, but when I do, I order it as a doppio ristretto flat white. Basically, ristretto is a short pour, or only the first 15-20seconds of a standard pour. And doppio simply means double in Italian. Meaning the doppio ristretto flat white should still be made of a 30ml shot, however it's 2x15ml short pours. I find this way, if Im somewhere where i dont know the quality of their coffee's, I generally get something that is at least drinkable.
Old 16-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99 View Post
I love this thread
Even more so than cars and fish (aquarium), coffee is my passion. (Random fact for ya)

As Joe said, if you can find a "decent" cafe in Perth, stick to it! Also as Joe said, intrinsically, an espresso shot should be slightly sweet (more so with a 100% Arabica bean) and should be strong and intense, but not bitter. If your espresso (or however you prefer to drink coffee) has significantly bitter undertones, it is generally because the dose has been over-extracted.
I dont often drink flat whites, but when I do, I order it as a doppio ristretto flat white. Basically, ristretto is a short pour, or only the first 15-20seconds of a standard pour. And doppio simply means double in Italian. Meaning the doppio ristretto flat white should still be made of a 30ml shot, however it's 2x15ml short pours. I find this way, if Im somewhere where i dont know the quality of their coffee's, I generally get something that is at least drinkable.
I am going to try this, sounds great!

shameless plug for www.purecrema.com.au once again.

Best coffee beans I have tasted yet.
Old 16-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

Seriously, all you coffee-enthusiasts need to try Esprezzo in Noranda...

Its in the Noranda Village Shopping Centre on Benara Rd, and is well worth checking out!

The owner Jason recently came 4th in the West Australian Barista Competition(his first time competing) and makes the best coffee I've had. I'd be really suprised if any of you came away disappointed!

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 16-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

AJAYJAY at standard level

no one can beat the nonna's coffee

Tags
coffee, thread