Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

blue.spec at standard level

Daikin does my house well
Old 17-11-2009, 11:58 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Working in commercial construction I would say Daikin and nothing else for domestic AC - period. And evap is a waste of time. People say that it's only a few days ayear that it causes an issue, but it's those few days when you really want A/C.

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 17-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Weather wizard in Wangara did the Daikin ducted system in my place. Seemed to be a decent price and service to me. I cant remember the price but straight off the cuff they were around $4000 cheaper for a daikin than cool or cosy's best price they could do on some no name system.
Old 17-11-2009, 09:13 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

MonsterMashie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to MonsterMashie

I have been working in the air-con industry for 15+ years now. Refrigeration mechanic by trade but worked my way up over the years to a Project Manager now. Started out doing domestic but now do large commercial projects, if you want any free non biased advise I am happy to help, pm me.

Evaporative:

+ cheap compared to reverse cycle. (fully ducted for average 4x2 for $4-$6 g).
+ nice if you want to have your doors and windows open.
+ cheaper to run (approx 50 cents a day).

- only cools the air about 10 degrees cooler than the ambient.
- no good at all on a humid day.
- should be serviced twice a year (average $100 each time).
- no heating.

Refrigerative:

+ heating and cooling (cooling only models are about $100 cheaper).
+ outside temperature and humidity will not affect its performance.
+ choose the exact temperature you want.
+ great to add value to your home.

- expensive compared to evaporative. (fully ducted for average 4x2 for $10-$14 g).
- need to keep doors and windows closed.
- average running cost for a 12-14kw will be $2-$4 a day.
- really should have your house well insulated or running costs will blow out.

IMO - reverse cycle is the way to go.

Ducted is great, but expensive, even if you have a smaller unit (you can only go up to about a 12kw on single phase power, any bigger and you need three phase) for your average 4x2 you will only be able to run 2 out of 4 zones at the same time.

Generally a 4x2 will be zoned;

1) master bed / study
2) bed 2 / 3 / 4.
3) kitchen / meals / family
4) theatre or games.

So you need to think about what areas you will want on and at what times, depending on how your household works.

If its just you and your misses in bed at night or watching a movie then you will be running a big 12kw unit to cool just the one room you are in. if you have the wife and 2.5 kids then it would probably be the way to go.

Refrigerative wall splits or cassette units could also be the best option cheaper initial cost as you can do one at a time. If you are only in one room at a time then you will only be running one small unit at a time so the running costs will be lower $1-$2 a day.

As far as brands go, what makes a good a/c unit are;

1) Cheap running costs.
2) Quite noise level when running.
3) Reliability.

As mentioned several times above Daikin is number one and I also strongly agree with LG being the best "bang for your buck" unit.

Panasonic, Fujitsu and Hitachi are also good units that I would recommend. Stay away from the brands you have never EVER heard of before.

As for installation, do your home work and get everyone to quote on the same thing, compare oranges with oranges; number of zones, number of supply grills, size of the unit etc... most places will give you a couple of prices for the same install but with options on different make units. Tell them what you want not what they want you to get.

I don't have much to do with the domestic scene these days, so not sure of all the companys out there, but I would recommend Ford and Doonan as providing a quality job.

Unfortunately, as with most things in life you get what you pay for, so just make sure you know what you want first.

Hope this helps.

Old 17-11-2009, 09:32 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

zuum at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMashie View Post
As for installation, do your home work and get everyone to quote on the same thing, compare oranges with oranges; number of zones, number of supply grills, size of the unit etc... most places will give you a couple of prices for the same install but with options on different make units. Tell them what you want not what they want you to get.

Strongly agree.... this is where substantial price differences that can or cannot be justified are not considered, if you do not view the finer details of a quote.....

have fun....
Old 18-11-2009, 08:48 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level

I have got a Panasonic split inverter. Its the latest 7.5KW one....I guess I cant really help with the pricing thing because a mate of mine works at Harvey Norman so he sold it to me for cost price, literally 50% off the sticker.

Installation was about $900. If the units were installed back to back it would have been $500-$600 however the external unit ended up having to go further a long the wall which meant more plumbing and wiring.
Old 18-11-2009, 08:50 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

sMY00n at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMashie View Post
I have been working in the air-con industry for 15+ years now. Refrigeration mechanic by trade but worked my way up over the years to a Project Manager now. Started out doing domestic but now do large commercial projects, if you want any free non biased advise I am happy to help, pm me.

Evaporative:

+ cheap compared to reverse cycle. (fully ducted for average 4x2 for $4-$6 g).
+ nice if you want to have your doors and windows open.
+ cheaper to run (approx 50 cents a day).

- only cools the air about 10 degrees cooler than the ambient.
- no good at all on a humid day.
- should be serviced twice a year (average $100 each time).
- no heating.

Refrigerative:

+ heating and cooling (cooling only models are about $100 cheaper).
+ outside temperature and humidity will not affect its performance.
+ choose the exact temperature you want.
+ great to add value to your home.

- expensive compared to evaporative. (fully ducted for average 4x2 for $10-$14 g).
- need to keep doors and windows closed.
- average running cost for a 12-14kw will be $2-$4 a day.
- really should have your house well insulated or running costs will blow out.

IMO - reverse cycle is the way to go.

Ducted is great, but expensive, even if you have a smaller unit (you can only go up to about a 12kw on single phase power, any bigger and you need three phase) for your average 4x2 you will only be able to run 2 out of 4 zones at the same time.

Generally a 4x2 will be zoned;

1) master bed / study
2) bed 2 / 3 / 4.
3) kitchen / meals / family
4) theatre or games.

So you need to think about what areas you will want on and at what times, depending on how your household works.

If its just you and your misses in bed at night or watching a movie then you will be running a big 12kw unit to cool just the one room you are in. if you have the wife and 2.5 kids then it would probably be the way to go.

Refrigerative wall splits or cassette units could also be the best option cheaper initial cost as you can do one at a time. If you are only in one room at a time then you will only be running one small unit at a time so the running costs will be lower $1-$2 a day.

As far as brands go, what makes a good a/c unit are;

1) Cheap running costs.
2) Quite noise level when running.
3) Reliability.

As mentioned several times above Daikin is number one and I also strongly agree with LG being the best "bang for your buck" unit.

Panasonic, Fujitsu and Hitachi are also good units that I would recommend. Stay away from the brands you have never EVER heard of before.

I don't have much to do with the domestic scene these days, so not sure of all the companys out there, but I would recommend Ford and Doonan as providing a quality job.

Unfortunately, as with most things in life you get what you pay for, so just make sure you know what you want first.

Hope this helps.

THIS WAS A GREAT READ!!!
Thanks for your help I will PM you with some questions.
Old 18-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMY00n View Post
THIS WAS A GREAT READ!!!
Thanks for your help I will PM you with some questions.
+1 .....once I get back to Perth and look around at a few A/C places
Old 18-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Design your house to be energy efficient at the beginning and all you'll need is an evap unit on the lowest setting to keep you cool for 99.9% of the time - it's not hard or expensive.

I personally like having doors/windows open in summer for fresh air rather than have everything shut.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 21-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

I prefer the evaps - simple and cheap form of a/c.

plus remember because it is simple - if it breaks down, simple to fix.

fully ducted reverse cycle split systems with inverter technology with zone control and t/stats everywhere become expensive to fix.

a/c is like everything - the time you need it most is when its not working

but i agree - daikins are the shit, panasonic and lg's look best for bang for said buck.

Tags
air, con