Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level
Default Comparison if anybody is interested:

Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

^ you wouldn't really give the iPad a look, based on those stats. Operating System aside, the others are on top in nearly every other area.
One downfall for the iPad is the lack of expandability/external ports (without buying more Apple adaptors) and lack of Flash support.

I predict that although Apple has its cult followers and has established a market, the other big competitors on the block will really be pushing it against the ropes this time.

Time to invent/re-invent a new device again Apple so you can get your 1 year lead on the competition and get some more money!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

^^ that table is wrong, ipad2 has hdmi, also has 65,000 apps to choose from and the motorolla has less than a hundred.

I'm all for competition but its not really about the hardware at this stage...
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Having 'higher' stats means nothing if the software/os is not optimised to use it. Having a high megapixel camera also does not mean quality pictures.

Looking at that table, they are all very similar specced and priced.

And the fixation people have on flash makes me laugh. Try using flash on your android devices, it's the fact they are a touch interface that it fails. HTML5 is well on its way to putting flash in the grave. And for 90% of the flash sites out there, there is an app for that

End of the day it is going to come down to applications and ease of use. Apple has the upperhand here as the iOS system is the 'norm'. Android is well on it's way and has some cool features the Apple units don't have, but having to hack your brand new Nexus S phone to try to get some useable battery life out of it will turn people away.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

agree with Kato 100%. The people comparing specs are missing the point. Without a mature app store the specs are useless. I have owned an iPhone since the 3G release day in 2008 and have had an android phone for 6 months. Getting the android was the worst thing I have ever done. I now understand the difference in the ideals behind the two platforms. Apple is a commercial OS with a mature and commercial app store (with the occasional fart app). Android is an open source environment that has a great online community for support but really isn't a polished commercial environment. The apps are like the apple app store was 2 years ago with no clear sign of getting better.

I have had an iPad since April last year and love it. Probably won't upgrade just yet.

The best way to look at these devices is a "blank canvas" for software programmers to use however they wish. The strength is in the software not the hardware. In that regard Apple have it all over everyone else. That and Apple has contracts for buying around 60% of the worlds capacitive touch screens that are manufactured, leaving the others to fight for the remaining 40%. Anti competitive -yes, but still good business.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
And the fixation people have on flash makes me laugh. Try using flash on your android devices, it's the fact they are a touch interface that it fails. HTML5 is well on its way to putting flash in the grave. And for 90% of the flash sites out there, there is an app for that
Whats the app called John? Is it also for iPhone?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

I won't ever buy another apple device. When Steve 'the nazi' Jobs had the Gizmodo editor's house raided because his r&d staff can't go to a pub without being too pissed to remember to put their ifail4 prototype back in their pocket that was one thing. However, to then pull the Wikileaks app from the appstore because it exposed war crimes committed by the US in Iraq it's no longer an argument about which device or OS works best - its now about principle. Buying power is one of the few powers we still have folks so make sure you use it while you can.

end rant...
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682 View Post
Whats the app called John? Is it also for iPhone?
Yeah, as I said to Jme on the other page. It's called Frash and I've had it on my iPhone 4 & 3GS and iPad. Basically the guys have recompiled the Android flash program for iOS. It works and shows you how crappy flash is on touch devices (mainly due to lazy website developers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad View Post
I won't ever buy another apple device. When Steve 'the nazi' Jobs had the Gizmodo editor's house raided because his r&d staff can't go to a pub without being too pissed to remember to put their ifail4 prototype back in their pocket that was one thing.
You do know that is just a story? It is believed that the person who stole the prototype didn't just find it at a bar as reported by Gizmodo. Gizmodo fell into a very grey area of buying stolen property and knew the consequences.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Yeah, as I said to Jme on the other page. It's called Frash and I've had it on my iPhone 4 & 3GS and iPad. Basically the guys have recompiled the Android flash program for iOS. It works and shows you how crappy flash is on touch devices (mainly due to lazy website developers).

You do know that is just a story? It is believed that the person who stole the prototype didn't just find it at a bar as reported by Gizmodo. Gizmodo fell into a very grey area of buying stolen property and knew the consequences.
Thanks John and as for the other part, Gizmodo did buy stolen property and that's why the cops / fbi raided their house, not fucking Steve Jobs. He is the head of Apple, not the gestapo!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

lad at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682 View Post
Thanks John and as for the other part, Gizmodo did buy stolen property and that's why the cops / fbi raided their house, not fucking Steve Jobs. He is the head of Apple, not the gestapo!
and the Wikileaks app...oh that's right it was pulled because they are 'illegal'

Tags
humancentipad, ipad