Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Like dual core computer stuff...gotcha.

Meh, couldn't care. As long as I can do emails, play the odd game, browse the net & occasionally call/text I'll be happy. Nothing can be as slow as my iPhone at the moment.
Old 19-04-2011, 07:23 PM
STI Master

Damo69 at standard level

I have a galaxy i can vouch for the occasional e lag... Ill install the anti lag link shown before

see how it ggoes

60.7 Long Track at Barbs
57.6 at RAC Reverse circuit.
Old 19-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level
Thumbs up

Had my Desire HD for just over 6months now after my iFail 3Gs died of a fatal hardware issue with constant failings before hand and I honestly feel the D-HD is so much better than the iFail's, sure the screen is bigger than most but when I use other peoples phones their screens feel so small and could never go back now.

I've found the phone does everything most over phones do and it does more and even better, I was a little bit apprehensive of using android at the start because so many iFail fan boi's were saying it's crap but it's an absolutely awesome os.

I'm no tech head expert so I'm not going to ramble off specs n shit but i do know it's the best phone I've ever used and I'm extremely happy with it and anyone thinking of getting one won't be disapointed.

Just remember this though new phones always seem a little hard at the start to use all the functions but thats only because youre so used to using your old one too much, so dont blame the phone if you cant get the hang of it straight away like so many single minded fan boi's do.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 19-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo69 View Post
I have a galaxy i can vouch for the occasional e lag
A mate at work and his misses both got the galaxy S to replace their iphones.
They had the lag that most people have ranted about, it took me about 30 minutes to explain to him what rooting was and the benefits.

He know has a galaxy S without lag and any of the telstra crap that came on the phone.

I can grab a copy of the instructions that he used and forward them on if you like?
Old 19-04-2011, 08:27 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Yep, Android FTW. Currently on HTC Magic, next phone in a couple of months will most likely be HTC Desire HD. Currently available on Vodafone for $49/month cap with 3 months free over 24 months.

Pity VF are so damn useless when it comes to signal/data reliability.
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 19-04-2011, 08:27 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

zmk at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
They had the lag that most people have ranted about, it took me about 30 minutes to explain to him what rooting was and the benefits.
Even as one of the biggest nerds on this forum rooting my phone was the most stressful experience ever because of the slight risk of bricking your phone :P
Old 19-04-2011, 11:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level
Default Life Story:

I have been using the Samsung Galaxy S for some time now....

Has great features, AMOLED screen, 720p, GPS, wifi, 32GB SD storage etc etc all the usual android stuff just in a nice neat package. On paper its terrific, BUT...

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Fucking thing has so many bugs, constantly locks up. The call quality is also horrendous.
I'm always having to reboot the phone or at least swear at it a few times before it responds.

Then there's Samsung/Optus update problem.
Too many hands in the pot.
Better off rooting the phone and using stock android OS.
However I do believe that google is currently trying to stop fragmentation and limit the amount of control these third parties have over modifying its OS...

I have also extensively used the HTC desire, desire HD and wildfire and I'm still not convinced they're fantastic either (although the much shittier wildfire isn't too bad when you consider the price....).

The Nexus S is basically the same phone as the Galaxy S minus a few details (was even made by samsung) but I don't think it has an SD card slot for some reason.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 will be released soon, which I do believe has addressed some of the issues, (but I'm still skeptical).
Android still has a long way to go IMO.
Old 19-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

Morse code FTW
Old 20-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Personally, anyone who recommends an Android phone for ease of use after 'rooting' it, but bags iPhone as you need to 'jailbreak' it, needs to be shot in the face.

If comparing, only look at what the phone can do stock imo. I can convert an iPod touch into an iPhone and install Andoid OS on my iPhone 3G, but it all gayer than aids.

The major issue with Andoid phones is you have all your music on them, but everything interfaces with the apple connectors. Once a connector is available, they will take off more. Also their battery life is teh sux. Best one I've seen is the Google Nexus S. Google makes android, and as with the original nexus, had the best phone to go along with it. Also the first to recieve updates.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level
Default Samsung Galaxy S Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommosaurus View Post
I have been using the Samsung Galaxy S for some time now....

Has great features, AMOLED screen, 720p, GPS, wifi, 32GB SD storage etc etc all the usual android stuff just in a nice neat package. On paper its terrific, BUT...

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Fucking thing has so many bugs, constantly locks up. The call quality is also horrendous.
I'm always having to reboot the phone or at least swear at it a few times before it responds.
Well I felt the need to update on my original post:

I was so pissed off with this piece of shit of a phone, I decided I couldn't wait for the official gingerbread release and updated it myself.

The phone is not rooted, I flashed it using an official Samsung Galaxy S rom (2.3.3 JVK). Google later pulled it for some reason, but it's being reworked and the optus release should be any day now, if it hasn't been done already.

After using it for several weeks I can say it's is like having a brand new phone. The lag is completely gone and responds in a manner which you would expect from such a pricey phone.
Also the battery life has significantly improved, as well as some minor visual improvements.

The call quality is still crap (which could be a fault of Optus...), but this is what the phone should have been like from the start.

Its completely absurd that I had to do a manual flash and void the warranty just to get the fucking thing to function correctly, but I can now say that with gingerbread, the Galaxy S is a good phone, and I'm very happy with it.

Tags
iphone, opinions, replacement