Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Sell ipads, get tablet pcs, winning ? I'd try help but have no experiences with apples, they are strictly verboten here
Old 20-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Yeah its a shame they have iPads already - would have been a smart move to wait off for Windows 8 Tablets.
Old 20-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSubaru View Post
Citrix is EXTREMELY slow - you need to be on LAN to use it without waiting years for anything to happen. Need quite a bit of infrastructure too to get a good setup going.
Not if setup correctly.
My place of employment has a citrix environment deployed that interfaces with our email, document management and many other systems and I'm quite surprised at how well it all runs.

This is something I've experienced connecting from my home and from my work laptop using my Android phone (Next-G network) as a tethered device.
Old 20-07-2012, 12:59 PM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

We use iPads because they are great for dummies, easy to use and very intuitive

I have a Citrix guy coming next week to discuss.

His comments to me were good that we have 10/10 fibre to the office and we would need some ms licenses and run a windows remote desktop server

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 20-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
Not if setup correctly.
My place of employment has a citrix environment deployed that interfaces with our email, document management and many other systems and I'm quite surprised at how well it all runs.

This is something I've experienced connecting from my home and from my work laptop using my Android phone (Next-G network) as a tethered device.
All through High School everything was citrix and it was awful. Also our company just assessed using Citrix to provide services to remote branches and it was decided against.

Maybe both situations just didnt have the right setup for it. Things change too I guess.

I would certainly be wanting to trial before I commit money if it was my business.
Old 20-07-2012, 01:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Drewski at standard level

Hey guys,
I worked for an Apple Education reseller and deal alot with remote users, ipads etc.

Basically a few options:
1. For editing on the device. OfficeHD seems to be very popular. there is another one but I can't remember the name of it right now.
2. Once you have the editor you like, connecting to the server can be achieved by using MobilEcho. This is a nice interface that has a lot of syncing features and is always being improved. This is quite expensive for unlimited licenses (High schools etc) so I would have to find out per user.
3. Citrix performs fantastic remotely, "If" setup correctly. I setup a small company with one user who works exclusively through on a hosted citrix server. He loves it because he takes his ipad into meetings and can do just about anything.
4. There are builtin ways to get access to windows shares other than mobil echo. Windows has Webdav built into IIS and with some massaging and the right app on the ipad u can access the webdav share.

PM me if you want more info...Just threw some stuff down quickly to get you some ideas!

Drew
Old 20-07-2012, 02:12 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quick office is the other app we used. Just saw that MS are rumored to be releasing office for ios in NOV.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...___report.html
Old 20-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSubaru View Post
What about SkyDrive with Windows Live? You could use the online/cloud Office 365 from the web browser.

Office 2013 from what I can tell by the Release Preview is heavily based on cloud storage provided by Live.
If you want all your documents read by the Americans.

Look up the patriot act. By law they can look at anything on servers in the US. So any of your data you choose to store in the cloud in the US, Eg "Skydrive", it is not private only to you.

Obviously this is more of a concern for big companies. (to the point where resellers of SaaS actually say the service is being driven from a Sydney datacentre, where the patriot act cannot be enforced ) - Peace of mind for us Aussies.

----

To the OP, we did this, but in-house (corporate solution), for the board of directors. Required Sharepoint, Apple App called "Boardpapers" and the board papers server component.

Boardpapers server syncs with Sharepoint, then the iPad VPN's into the network and retrieves all the documents. Boardpapers allows you to edit etc on the iPad.

This solution keeps everything in-house and secure.

If you wanted i guess you could put the boardpapers server in the DMZ so you don't need VPN, less secure though.

http://www.pervasent.com/board-papers/

iPads are terrible corporate devices. Yes the form factor is there, but for an enterprise, iOS is not the way. We will probably go Micosoft Surface with Windows8 when Microsoft drop one on our desks to play with. Ok for a small business though I spose for Email and such!

They just lack any remote management/tracking cabability. We have a few thousand iPhones in our business, soon to be getting rid of them for Nokia Lumia's i suspect, we are a full Microsoft shop as you can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
Quick office is the other app we used. Just saw that MS are rumored to be releasing office for ios in NOV.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...___report.html
Also doubt the above will happen when MS want to drive sales on their new Surface.

Last edited by RichX; 20-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 20-07-2012, 03:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

If you want a Local (Perth) alternative to the above one (which looks great!). This company deploys this solution for government agencies and schools.

icabinet
Old 20-07-2012, 03:54 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Bridantay at standard level

the citrix client and Windows remote desktop both work on the IPAD. IF you dont have Citrix in place then best to use Remote desktop. We are just about to deploy IPADS (much to my disgust) and have found this is the only option to go with in order to maintain full Microsoft functionality

Tags
advice, ipad2, ipads, server, windows