Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridantay View Post
We are just about to deploy IPADS (much to my disgust) and have found this is the only option to go with in order to maintain full Microsoft functionality
IMHO that is a VERY bad IT/corporate decision at the moment given all the new stuff coming out (which is Windows based, and more manageable than iPads)

Windows 8 is pretty much designed for mobility. You'd be silly to go iPad at the moment.
jEstEr? likes this.
Old 20-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
IMHO that is a VERY bad IT/corporate decision at the moment given all the new stuff coming out (which is Windows based, and more manageable than iPads)

Windows 8 is pretty much designed for mobility. You'd be silly to go iPad at the moment.
Rich is absolutely right. My companys IT Department are not very smart - but at the very least they have held of until Windows 8 Tablets.

This is the way forward for corporate.

Android for the IT Crowd/Enthusiasts/Developers and Apple for the zombies/plebs/ignorant/rich.
Old 20-07-2012, 05:27 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Obviously another major focus point for a Windows based device is seamless integration into things such as:

SCCM
Active Directory
Exchange/Outlook
Office Suite
Remote Desktop
Lync
Sharepoint

Plus our IT service desk can remote onto them for our in-field sales force over the 3G for support.

List goes on. Makes the transition from a Windows desktop/laptop to a slate easy. I am actually looking at handing in my corporate laptop for a surface with a docking station when they come out .. maybe. That or go a corporate ultrabook.
Old 20-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

I must be a rich ignorant zombie pleb or something
Old 20-07-2012, 05:45 PM

RichX knows their stuff

iPads great for home, personal. I use my iPad at home for heaps of little cool things.

They just got drawn into the workplace because people loved them and there was nothing else to fit that market gap, and also due to the fact the Apple marketing is so good. Now us IT admins need to get them out and tell people there is something else which suits better for the workplace.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXXXED View Post
I must be a rich ignorant zombie pleb or something
Sorry mate I hate Apple alot. A LOT.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
iPads great for home, personal. I use my iPad at home for heaps of little cool things.

They just got drawn into the workplace because people loved them and there was nothing else to fit that market gap, and also due to the fact the Apple marketing is so good. Now us IT admins need to get them out and tell people there is something else which suits better for the workplace.
Hit the nail on the head - Apple Marketing is just too good.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:20 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Drewski at standard level

I agree with all the points above...but...IT needs to be flexible and allow the user to use what they want. BYOD is getting absolutely massive with a majority of corporates negotiating with the employee for them to supply their phone/tablet.

I agree in a perfect world, all Microsoft would be fantastic, but in practice there is always execs or "important" people wanting to break the mould.

Just my 2c, I try and make everything user centric and ignore the device, they are always going to change and want something just to piss me off

Drew
Old 20-07-2012, 06:31 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I agree with all the points above...but...IT needs to be flexible and allow the user to use what they want. BYOD is getting absolutely massive with a majority of corporates negotiating with the employee for them to supply their phone/tablet.

I agree in a perfect world, all Microsoft would be fantastic, but in practice there is always execs or "important" people wanting to break the mould.

Just my 2c, I try and make everything user centric and ignore the device, they are always going to change and want something just to piss me off

Drew

Yeah absolutely right mate.

We always try to cater and create solutions and workarounds where we can, and often the business comes to us with ideas and challenges which we will always look at seriously and try to develop a solution to achieve a certain outcome, but for the most part - we have a set of standards to keep for 98% of the environment (in this case, the end "customer" and the standard devices we set for them to use within the company).

We have no BYOD though, like an ISP. Here is your company phone, here is your company laptop type situation. Obviously a laptop for someone who is totally office based, compared so someone who is out on the road most of the time are two different things.
Old 20-07-2012, 07:02 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Drewski at standard level

I think we need a Sub topic for IT related stuff! Poor Scary is getting all our spam on Corporate governance!

Tags
advice, ipad2, ipads, server, windows