Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff
Default Police Tonkin Hwy

I have noticed the scooter pigs ( sorry Matt ) on Tonkin Hwy at the Leach Hwy off ramp of late.

Also at the bottom of the Kewdale road off ramp heading North.

Spotted Spec C going for it the other day and not awear they were looking at him behind the wall under the big sign, left lane to leach Hwy, no hand held to be seen + I was blocking them.

Just a heads up to all
Top-Deck likes this.
Old 29-07-2016, 07:25 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I think the work police do is vital. But i hate the amount of effort that is put into traffic. It seems disproportionately high for what really is pretty trivial stuff. Surely those resources would be better used busting crack dens and catching thieving cunts? I know they go on about the road death toll and such. But that is the nature of roads. 20 - 50 - 100 - whatever deaths per year out of millions of road users EVERY DAY is already pretty damn good odds.
wrx oh oh and Top-Deck like this.
Old 29-07-2016, 11:01 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

EDIT. Just looked it up. National road toll in AUS for 2016 was 1269 for the 12 months previous to june 2016. The aus population for july 2016 is 24,141,909. Lets be conservative and say of those 24.1 million people, only 2/3 of them drive or passenger in a motor vehicle every day. And lets say that they do only 2 trips per day. (From home, then back to home.) This is very conservative. Im sure the averages are alot higher.

So thats 24,141,909 x 2/3 of people x 2 trips per day x 365 days a year. = 11,747,887,473.762. Now divide that by 1269. Now that = aprox 1 in 10million. So everytime you hopin a car, you have a 1 in 10mill. And thats very very conservative figures. Im sure more than 2/3 of the population would use the road. And im sure more than twice per day. I for example use a car about 15-20 times per day through work.

Now look at the homicide figures for aus. Could only find 2011to 2012 and that was 243. So 2.41 million divided is equal to less than 100 000. So that means you have a 1 in 100 000 chance of being murdered just by living in australia. But you have a 1 in 100 000 000 chance of dieing everytime you use a motor vehicle.

Now im not even gonna do the figures for other violent crimes. Or robbery/ break and enter. Or drug related crimes. But im sure we can estimate its alot alot more probable than dieing in a car.

So why is there such a huge emphasis on road law enforcement. Its retarded...
Dazza68 likes this.
Old 29-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Also saw them yesterday sirens going chasing someone down Roe from Tonkin, weaving in and out of traffic.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 29-07-2016, 11:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sneakynuts at standard level

Because it's easy.....

If Australians didn't drive like dicks all the time then the cops would get bored and go target something else.

I have just seen a guy at the airport go speeding up a wrong way road nearly hitting a car travelling in the right direction so he mounted the kerb...accelerated again into the path of a truck....who wasn't going to move.....so he shit out and drove on the path.

To him that was fine...
We drive in the outside lane for no reason....we use our phones whilst driving ( royal we) we drive like cocks and then complain when they target us.

I get that they could target robberies and murders......but it really is easy to catch motorists...

I am not sticking up for them at all..... just we need to take some accountability
astralex and TROLLEY like this.
Old 29-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Bram, while your statistics add up, 1 in 100,000 people will be murdered per year in Australia, but 1 in 18,000 will die on the road per year. So while your chance of dying seems low, there's still a vastly greater proportion of the population that dies on the road vs homicides.
Pimpreza likes this.

Last edited by astralex; 29-07-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 29-07-2016, 01:12 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
Bram, while your statistics add up, 1 in 100,000 people will be murdered per year in Australia, but 1 in 18,000 will die on the road per year. So while your chance of dying seems low, there's still a vastly greater proportion of the population that dies on the road vs homicides.
Yes. IF you use a car ONCE per year. The vast majourity of people drive (or passenger) in a motor vehicle alot more frequently than once per. (Try multiple times a day) So therefor the chance of die-ing in a motor vehicle accident each time you use a vehicle is substantialy less.

Do anything enough and the chance of something going wrong goes up. Buy enough lotto tickets and you will win lotto. The point im trying to make is 1000 people dieing a year, considering the volume of traffic on our roads, its like a drop in the ocean.
Dazza68 likes this.

Last edited by Bram; 29-07-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 29-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

No, it doesn't matter if you use your car once a year or ten times a day, one in 18,000 Australians will die on our roads per year. Yes, the more you drive the less your chance of having a fatal collision is PER road trip, but that doesn't negate the percentage of the population that will die per year from road deaths. You asked why the emphasis on road safety vs homicide, and that's because 5 times more Australians die on the roads per year than are murdered. I think it's as simple as that. Coupled with the fact that despite 1000 people dying on the roads being a 'drop in the ocean', it's still too many deaths caused due to negligence, and other unnecessary, and often avoidable causes.

Last edited by astralex; 29-07-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 29-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Don't forget: these are for the statistics of DEATH. There are a huge amount of road accidents that result in large & permanent injuries through to more minor injuries too.

That said, the same would go for 'violent crime' or assault injuries too..
Old 29-07-2016, 03:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Goosey at standard level

I heard something along the lines of "Colin Barnett has allocated $65 million to additional speed cameras" on the news today. Supposedly that includes fixed and traffic light cameras.

We've all banged on about it so many times, but wouldn't $65 million be better spent on driver training? I see so many morons teaching learner drivers their bad habits, like sitting in the right lane, indicating INTO a roundabout when going straight through, yet not indicating out, coming to a stop as soon as a traffic light changes to amber, not using headlamps at dusk and when weather conditions are not ideal, etc. (list is endless) and yet "speeding" is considered one of the only causes of road fatalities?

Sure speed is a contributing factor, however I wonder how many deaths caused by speed are as a consequence of another misdemeanor, like driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, fatigue or just general inattention?

Another question is: why don't driving tests consist of many daily driving skills? Things like "driving on a freeway or at high speed, merging lanes, controlling a car in the event of loss of traction, overtaking etc?

Sorry for the rant going off topic, but I've driven around 400km just today seen many idiot drivers, and needed to vent! Carry on.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Last edited by Goosey; 29-07-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Tags
hwy, police, tonkin