Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Yeah mate - You know a car means biz when there is chute on the back of it.
Old 31-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

I wish i had the money to even enter into this conversation
amazing, can't wait for the finished product
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Scoobie Noobie

graemef81 at standard level

I love these new fords especially the XR6T's/F6, even though I'd never been much of a Ford fan.
This typhoon looks awesome and that manifold and turbo are insane. Looking forward to seeing some photos once the new engine's all done. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting 450rwkw on an everyday tune and it'll be an incredible car to drive.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
WRXRW

from what i can gather and of speaking to an authority on the subject, brian lord, anything above 450 is not only wasteful on the road but down right dangerous. his first t was written off in spectacular fashion only because he broke his own cardinal rule of not exceeding 450 for the street. that monster engine and driveline now reside in a ba II f6.

having seen the stage4 turbo/manifold/dumpipe in person i can admit its one of the most gucci pieces of gear i have ever seen, and when it comes to gucci stuff for cars, i own a stores equivilants worth.

its utterly frustrating its taken this long but the delays seem worthwhile, especially if the engine benefits from improved/better piston & rods.

afaik it will be the first t/f6 in perth to feature this engine/turbo combination. only three other cars have optioned the nizpro turbo kit but each feature different engine builds ranging from xtreme built to atomic crate engines.

my boy jme now sports an r-spec f6, although he is slowly collecting parts for a "mild" upgrade i somehow don't believe him!! wont be too long before things tart getting turned up again, circa 2004-6 with both our wrx's going from one extreme to the next!!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

Gucci for the win Ramon! Cant recall so many suby owners looking forward to the birth of a monster ford!! Nice avatar as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Ramon this is going to be a killer build. Can't wait to see it going.

And yeah Jme doing mild mods... Hahahaha
Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM
WRXRW

Ramon let me firstly say that when I originally received the enquirer call from Maximum Motorsport and we discussed the engine rebuild it was like any of 10 phone calls a week I receive regarding engine rebuilds, most of which end with zero result. Because of this Maximum Motorsport and I never talked about time line and although they said they would send the engine like many do, they did and it arrived very soon after our phone call.

So now let me talk about the delay. Last year we were using an ACL Race piston for our customer based engines with an Argo steel connecting rod. The piston we used was a 0.5 mm over sized piston and this was for two reasons. The First was so we could get all the bores straight as they are all over the place standard and cause poor ring sealing. The second is because ACL used the same forging blank for there standard bore size forging and the 0.5 mm over size piston. This being the case the 0.5 mm over sized piston has a thicker by 0.25mm skirt thickness adding extra strength. This is crucial as this is one area that the Barra engine fails regularly and any extra strength in this area is paramount.

Around October last year these pistons were dropped from ACL and are no longer available. This left us with no off the shelf piston that WORKED. We had tried various over brands that included CP, Ross and Mahle but there off the shelf units were not up to the job. In our big 900 plus engine we were making custom pistons, however they are very expensive and the Cosworth blank that we were making them out of was heavy and causes higher big end bearing wear.

So we made the decision to design and then get our own manufactured. Like all of these special projects there are delays and they compound if you want proper testing done. The first sets arrived very early January. They are a box design which gives high skirt strength while still remaining light weight. We also moved the piston pin height up so we could fit a longer connecting rod and reduce the skirt loading ever further. By doing this I decided we would be able to run a single compression ring deleting the second ring and achieving extra rod length. Also reducing mechanical friction.

Engine dyno testing thru Jan and early Feb showed greatly reduced engine wear, less engine noise and more power. However after performing an oil consumption test I decided for road car use and the fact that we had only tested one engine and over a number of engines, some would be better than others, and believing the only one we had tested, could be the middle of this range in terms of oil consumption. I thought it would be wise to add the second compression ring back into the design. This has now been done and tested. We have lost around 1% of peak power at 6000rpm plus, but the consumption has fallen from 240mls per 10 hours down to 60mls per 10 hours.

The time line is further increase as with the slight difference in compression piston pin height the connecting rod then also needed to be shortened.

So now we only have a cost issue and the way to reduce cost is to place large quantity orders, in batches of 120 units at a time. You can quickly understand why we need to design and test correctly or having 20 engines worth of parts that we cannot sell becomes some what of an issue.

There is nothing currently on the market that gives us the results we are after. The only choice was to design and manufacture what we wanted. Unlike every other Performance supplier and shop in Australia, we are the only ones that I know of that goes to these extremes and test in house rather than in field using customers. This dose not entirely rule out problems once released but gives us the best chance.

The down side is that for you and a number of others the time line is painstakingly long. The up side is you end up with the best parts first. I can only do what I can do, there are only 24 hours in the day and believe my from a business point of view I have 5 engine customers waiting and many more have decided to go without or to others for their engines, I have approximately 60k worth of turn over waiting so believe me I want them done and finished, but not while compromising quality.

I can tell you of two companies that decided to use a Ross piston (one of these companies could wait for me) that had been machined incorrectly that had engine failures, one while still on the dyno and the other a few kms after the customer took delivery. So my decision to do what we have done has been wise.

As you can see the full story is long and has talking me some time to explain I hope this gives you confidence that you too have made the correct decision. The result will be worth the wait. And the engine will be completed as soon as possible on our end. I am hoping within the next 3 weeks but I am not promising this time line as we are in the hands of others with some of the out sourced work. Some of the machine simply cannot be done until all the parts arrive. We need the entire 120 piece so we can match them into perfect sets. I believe this is only a few days away.

Cheers Simon
Old 10-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

AWESOME!!!!!

This is exciting!

Can't wait to hear more about that engine!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

Thats some really good customer service!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

damn mate that is another level of customer service! so another4-5 weeks all up you reckon before it gets back to WA? It will be worth it mate!

Tags
f6, photos, typhoon