Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

thanks for the replies guys. I'll investigate all the leads. Keep them rolling in if anyone has more suggestions.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

fizzle85az at standard level

i've got shure se-210 earphones for my ipod and love them. not too sure what headphones they make but shure would be worth looking into.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level
Cool

I have AKG K240's and I think they are fantastic. So incredibly clear. Good range (15 to 25,000 Hz).

http://www.akg.com/site/products/pow...nguage,EN.html

I bought them for mixing my own music, as they give a very realistic sound e.g. don't emphasise the bass too much- they are very flat and let the music do the work.
When I say "flat" it sounds bad, but it's actually a good thing. They are certainly not bass-less headphones by any means. If the song has plenty of bass, then you will hear it alright.
It's just giving you a true sound.
What I mean is that if you are mixing music and you have too much bass in the phones, you might cut some of the bass out. Then when you listen on a normal stereo, you've got fuck all bass and an overall shit mix.

Bassy headphones can be misleading, and can "undo" some fantastic production work on some of your favourite albums.

But this all my be completely irrelevant to your situation if you are just looking to crank some tunes.

Some of my friends don't like them as much (well, for the price....) but that is because they want it loud w/thumping bass.
So if that is what you are after, then you could probably find something else for a much better price.

However, these are the most crystal clear headphones I've used.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Gordon at standard level

I've got myself a pair of Audio-Technica ATH PRO 700 from my last visit to Singapore. They worked out to AUD$300 so that's right in your price range but i'm not sure about availability in Perth.

I've found these headphones to deliver the most linear response from an MP3 player (as we all know MP3 players aren't the best for SQ but good on ya for lossless importing ). Obviously different sources are going to sound different and you may have to end up finding a compromise to get the best all round headphones given that you may listen to different sources. A close friend has a set of Audio-Technicas (can't remember which model sorry) and his seem much happier on a straight CD source compared to the 700.

You can also try screwing around with the EQ on the iPod.

Either way, take your iPod along and go listen to them all. That's always going to be the best way to figure out what you like Make sure you listen to the same song/music so the differences between the headphones stands out.

P.S. $10k on car stereo you say, what gear are you running?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Hey Captain Obvious.

I actually do do a bit of mixing for the recordings I make with my band, Bermuda Lights. We're all learning as we go, but so far I've hooked some B&W C1 bookshelf speakers up to my computer (properly amped, of course) and a Polk Audio sub when it comes to doing the mix/master.
That's obviously done a nice job of bringing a realistic representation of the recorded sound, and from reports the C1s seem to be one of the more neuteral speakers out there. But headphones are the ultimate for hearing every nuaunce, and something like those AKGs or Gordon's Audio-Technicas might go down well.
I like an even soundfield, and i can always set the iPod's EQ to 'rock' to pump up the bass + teble a bit if I find it a little 'lite'.

And Gordon, cheers for the info.
As for the car, that's been spent on a few different set-ups in defferent cars. I've had stuff ranging from MBQuart to Dynaudio; PDX amps and some Digital Designs amps (eg Z1); Alpine HUs and of course the whole sound deadening deal and installs. Liam [meatbag] now owns my DDZ1 amp and my DD9515 woofer which I never used! I'm off the car audio for a while, till I get a car worth doing it properly again
Old 02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Ahh good stuff. If that's the case then I would definitely recommend these.
Neutral was the word I was looking for, not flat. You understood what I meant anyway.

I got mine from Kosmic is Osborne Park, and they did a pretty good deal. The good thing about these music stores is they are more willing to move on price than your average hi-fi store. You just might have to dodge some bullshit though.

Either way do as suggested earlier, take your ipod and listen for yourself.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Yep, I knew what you ment.
I know a few of the guys at Kosmic Cannington (recently, $390 Shure mic for $210, anyone?) so I'll hit them up for sure. Thanks for your help I'll take my iPod for sure.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

I vote for : grado labs alessandro

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=19

But go to the leedy headphonic store and TRY out a heap, what you think sounds best is different to what anyone else thinks. (bring a cd or two)

Also ignore the price, because: "in high end audio you pay for the price." ;-)

Just look at bose, for example 1% product 99% price tag :P
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

RICOCHET at standard level

If you want nice bassy headphones that dont need to be turned up to the max Try Dr Dre's headphones made by Monster...fuken unreal!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

I have a set of the seinhessers and I love em to bits. I found them to be a lot clearer than everything else I tried at the time. They do Play the upper end which I know you love quite well.

Tags
$300, experiences, headphones