Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Install is happening this weekend....so far I've basically stripped the engine & tomorrow I'm putting all the new stuff on (plus all the other bits I've accumulated).
Old 18-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Day 2:

Started like this @ 5am...

Got bascially everything done, but had some issues with the coolant & oil lines for the turbo. We're making a custom one at the moment, may get the OEM ones later on. All headers, sump, up-pipe is done. Silly brother used a cleaner for the headers which half stripped the paint. All thats left to do now is weld flange onto the dump pipe, install exhaust & TMIC etc, fill up with fluids & go for a (sensible) blast.

Some pics during & after:

Had to modify the turbo bracket, cut off one corner (wasn't needed as there was nothing to bolt on to in the Foz)

Old 18-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Comparisons....

Stock headers v. Twinscroll - Stock ones were VERY heavy in comparison.

TD04HLA-19T v. TD04L

TD04HLA-19T v. TD04L v. TF035

Old 27-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Day 3 (Sunday)

Making up the dump today. Since the exhaust side of the turbo I much longer we are having issues with the dump not having enough of an angle to go onto the studs. Pulling the studs out after lunch & doing it that way but there are still minor length/angle issues

Looking at the Legacy dump, it basically falls away from the turbo nearly straight away, this (Xforce) dump goes back for a few cm's then drops which caused the biggest clearance issue. We could have cut off a few cm's to make it sit right but then there wouldn't be enough length at the other end to join to the rest of the exhaust. No hitting on the steering knuckle though!

No luck, after sorting out the dump pipe a couple of hours later - everything was installed....but then there was a few minor clearence issues, then a few other small problems.... Once the dump is welded up we have 1 nut that will not go right to the base because some weld is in the way. Think we are trimming the flare off the bottom of the nut in the morning & see how it goes.

At the moment everything is on & ready to go, but Neil is worried about the wastegate because it is slightly twisted. He wants to basically take it all off, take it apart & move the bracket up slightly....

I would get pics to show you but I'm in the doghouse with Brooke at the moment for now taking 3 days to do what I said should take 1. Usual women stuff. Right now I'm using the iPhone on the cr@pper to type this :lol:

Getting up early to have another crack.

Old exhaust, rusted piece of crap...shorty dump was 3", rest was 2.5":

Yes that small crack of light is the only relief the wastegate had:

Welding new dump:

99% done:

Turbo itself sits in a very different spot compared to TD04/VF's etc. Trying to find a good comparison pic but it looks like this sits alot closer & lower to the block. There is a small rubber knubby thing just in front of the compressor outlet which I have to cut down so my Y pipe fits ok.
Old 27-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Day 4 (Monday)

Spent about 2 hours this morning lining up the TMIC, brackets etc. Had to trim the Y pipe that many times it's not funny. Managed to pop it in place & screw down, then had to work all the silicon on. Wasn't easy as you can imagine. Got worried when the coolant line wouldn't let us move the TMIC any further but used Chris' bracket extension & bent the stock bracket just enough.

Starting the engine again was scary, Neil was almost certain we would have an exhaust leak somewhere but none at all. He freaked out when the engine started smoking & smelling really off...until I told him I used almost a can of WD40 on the underside & the coolant spilled was all just burning off. Took a few goes to kick over but when it did everything was sweet. Kicks over fine now...if not a little better than before?

Exhaust sounds so nice, it's not deep at all, barely hear it on idle but it really barks on higher revs. There is a slight boxer burble at idle but once revs rise its not really present. I imagine it will get a bit deeper after driving for a bit, we kinda burnt off the 10cm thick layer of carbon that ol'Sooty left in there. I'll get a video done next weekend, not time now & it's getting dark. It's fairly similar to Burke (XT43)'s Perrin headers video but less raspy?

Driving was great, resisted giving it a boot but did do a few mild-boots. This thing looks like its about 9-10psi stock? Pretty responsive but obviously it's pointless commenting until it's all tuned.

Enough from me....pics.

It is well worth the effort...the 3 full days, 6am to about 6/7pm, cranky missus...would have been nice without the skinned knuckles though.

Got a nasty bruise accross my ribs, was working from the front with the TMIC (front grill off) & the foot I had most of my weight on slipped & I went straight into the metal bar...and copped the bonnet latch just between the ribs. May have sworn a little.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Nice work mate!

Thought your "padding" would have saved your ribs!
Old 27-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Nah, padding is a bit lower. Better not say ribs around you...you might eat me.
Old 27-04-2010, 09:05 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

well that's top marks for effort on the install and modifications mate, you must be buggered after all of that, make sure you do something for the missus to keep her on good terms with the modding
Old 27-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg39 View Post
Nah, padding is a bit lower. Better not say ribs around you...you might eat me.
Ive seen your moobs!

I like lean ribs... haha
Old 27-04-2010, 09:18 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Top work on the DIY, thanks for sharing!

Tags
02, forester, gt, my02, twinscrollin