Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

So I had a couple of hours to spare this arvo & decided to hook in & finish the car off. I picked the diff up & went to work getting it back in along with the tail shaft & exhaust. Put some juice in the gearbox & diff. Bleed the clutch, plumb back up the FMIC & turbo inlet & put the front wheels back on.

I did not have time to take many pics as I wanted to get it al finished before dark.

the clutch feels amazing. I must admit I was a little worried about it being on and off, but to be honest, the STD twin plate does not feel that much different to the standard clutch, I just pulled out. it is slightly more aggressive I guess, but no where near as aggressive as my button Exedy in the STI.

Pulling away in gears from a standing start is no dramas. Just let the clutch out slowly with a slight feather of the loud pedal and away the car goes. I took a small video to show how easy it is to get the car moving. This clutch really has shocked me as how easy it is to use & install. It really is a great, complete kit.

Youtube embed wont work again, so here is the link

STD twin plate clutch - YouTube

Note how happy I am

I went for a bit of a fang to test it out properly & it still felt fine. It may be more aggressive in higher RPM than down low, but I guess thats what I want, opposed to a standard clutch slipping a little. The best way I would describe it would be the quicker you let your foot off the pedal, the quicker it engages / harsher it is. But that comment works for any type of clutch I guess. I just need to be mindful that the rear end of the car is now the weakest link and treat the car accordingly until I can afford a R180 change over.

I really cant believe how these last 2 weekends we have managed to repair the head gaskets & complete a clutch change / gearbox swap & after the final bolt was done up, start the car & drive it with no problems at all.

Once again & huge thanks to Neil for completing the diff ratio change for me, Paul & Geoff for the help with the 6 speed conversion & Mao for supplying an amazing product. The STD guys must have really put some R&D into this clutch to make it as easy as it is to use. The Mrs could drive the car no problems at all I reckon. If I would let here near it

Rossco, if you want to test the clutch by going for a sedate drive in the car, let me know & we can sort something out.

All that is left is to finish wiring the DCCD Pro controller & its finished. I am really looking forward to getting it out to Barbs, to see, if any, how much of a difference there is in times
huggy_b likes this.

Simon.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

The bite on that clutch will increase over the next 500km as it beds in.

Keen to ride shotgun sometime Simon!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 18-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
The bite on that clutch will increase over the next 500km as it beds in.

Keen to ride shotgun sometime Simon!
I know my Exedy was an absolute B atch the first 2 - 300 ks, but eventually wore in & got better. I remember the first time I went for a drive at MMates place workshop after changing it over & though - What have I done. It was an absolute carnt. But, after a couple of hundred K's its all good. Well sort of, its still a bit of a pain.

This clutch is nothing like that at the beginning, but I trust your judgement if you say its going to get worse.

Would be more than happy for you to ride shotgun mate, or take it for a sensible drive yourself

Simon.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

It will become more more abrupt at the point of engagement - but you'll be accustom to it by then too.

I need to give you a lap in the GTR - It's a bit of a bitch lol!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 18-06-2012, 08:40 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
It will become more more abrupt at the point of engagement - but you'll be accustom to it by then too.

I need to give you a lap in the GTR - It's a bit of a bitch lol!
If your handing out GTR laps Rossco

Great effort Simon.

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 18-06-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Sounds good mate. When you're free let me know & I can meet you somewhere, or just come to your place. I may just have to pretend you are my mechanic if the cops pull me over, being on a B reg & all.

Simon.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Master D knows their stuff

Good work Simon.

Theres always something quite rewarding about doing this sort of work yourself! Kudos dude.
Old 18-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

I could not have done it without Paul, Geoff & Neil, Dave. But you're right, I know what has been done, but more importantly I have learnt so much

Simon.
Old 19-06-2012, 08:00 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

I am amazed by your description of that clutch! I would have thought it would be terrible to drive. Sounds not bad at all.

As said you guys have done an amazing job over the last few weeks. Well done! Seeya sunday.

http://kap.industries/
Old 19-06-2012, 04:25 PM
STI Master

Qu3xy at standard level

Rally Sprint is coming!

APCV-R
AutoPro Canning Vale Racing

Tags
#bigbluewheelstime, can i have a sugar daddy?, daz, gf8, hack, kapow = kamao, pink mesh track hack, racecar, roughstilin, this wagon just got shit done, track, track hack