Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 09:45 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level
Default cat now has more balls than most of you lot

EDIT: My Impreza Has been converted so Skip to about page 100 if you don't want to read 100 pages of me being indecisive about what do with my car or you can read through it all and be smashing your head on a keyboard

Hi all suppose i had better do a drive away thread about my pride and joy my impreza rx. I wasn't going to mod my car much because i wanted to save for a wrx but realistically i won't be able to buy a wrx for at least a year (that will give me time to improve my driving) so i want to have some fun with my car now

sooo what my car has now
upgraded air filter
interior neons
faded paint and scratches
so not much at the moment apart from me keeping it clean

what i would like to do
tinted windows
upgrade the exhaust
rear sway bar
better brakes and improve the suspension
get my guards rolled
new wheels
upgrade the air intake
and possibly a better sound system

at the moment i want to upgrade the supension/steering before i worry to much about the power or looks , i would like a bit more grunt but putting a turbo in my car would be messy and expensive so i would be happy getting 150kw atw from upgrading the engine if that is possible?

i am yet to make my debut at whoopass wednesday or a skidpan so i am keen to show off my skills(what little skills i have) and find out what my car is capable of

can't really think of much else i wan't to do to the car atm and I'll try and upload some new pics of it soon

cheers

Last edited by Cat; 21-08-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: decided to keep the rx
Old 16-05-2012, 09:59 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post
at the moment i want to upgrade the supension/steering before i worry to much about the power or looks , i would like a bit more grunt but putting a turbo in my car would be messy and expensive so i would be happy getting 150kw atw from upgrading the engine if that is possible?
Not sure how much luck you'll get chasing 150kw... there's not much out there for N/A engines aside from exhausts and intakes (unless you want to start talking thousands of dollars, but that's getting into conversion territory), and they don't really give huge gains either. Main reason people go down the path of selling for a WRX or converting to a WRX/STI engine.

Luckily there's plenty in the handling department... WRX 4/1 pot brake set-up does wonders, and you could pick up a set of coilovers or STI struts and springs and drop them in for better handling. Sway bars can be done but something has to be changed in the rear so you have the mounts to attach them up... can't remember what exactly but it's a matter of swapping two bits out for WRX items or just having a bracket welded on.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

150kw is stock wrx level. You'll need a snail to achieve that.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:04 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Not sure how much luck you'll get chasing 150kw... there's not much out there for N/A engines aside from exhausts and intakes (unless you want to start talking thousands of dollars, but that's getting into conversion territory), and they don't really give huge gains either. Main reason people go down the path of selling for a WRX or converting to a WRX/STI engine.

Luckily there's plenty in the handling department... WRX 4/1 pot brake set-up does wonders, and you could pick up a set of coilovers or STI struts and springs and drop them in for better handling. Sway bars can be done but something has to be changed in the rear so you have the mounts to attach them up... can't remember what exactly but it's a matter of swapping two bits out for WRX items or just having a bracket welded on.
bugger i want some power but i don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on it i will just get it to handle better then and look nice until i get a wrx
Old 16-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

New engine? Suspension mods? Upgraded brakes? If you think you'll be able to afford a wrx in a year, why waste all that money on modding an rx? Put the money aside towards a wrx. Absolute waste of money otherwise.
johnvk7, RUSSGT, ausyve and 3 others like this.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:16 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

yep, & then you will be stuck trying to sell a car no one wants which you will lose even more $ on.

you have 4 wheels and a manual gearbox (i hope) - thats plenty to learn how to drive properly.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:16 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
New engine? Suspension mods? Upgraded brakes? If you think you'll be able to afford a wrx in a year, why waste all that money on modding an rx? Put the money aside towards a wrx. Absolute waste of money otherwise.
I know but i am young and in love with my car i won't be able to buy the wrx i want outright i just want to save at least 10k as a deposit as for the mods i will go one thing at a time and see what my budget allows
Old 16-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

For the amount of money you want to dump on mods, you'd be half way to a good little project GC8.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

My vote is skip the handling mods and braking mods and put that money towards a WRX.
Rexes of the GC8 era can go for $8k. If you add up the money you will spend on coil overs, bars, brakes etc, PLUS the labour to install them (assuming you aren't doing it yourself/getting it done for free) then you're well on your way to that rex. And in the meantime your car won't have the same power anyway. AND you're just wanting to get a rex anyhow.

EDIT: 16 gajillion people posted basically what I said while I was reading thread+typing my reply.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:23 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

agreed.
theres that blue one of maccas thats just appeared in the forsale section for 6.5k, its been around these forums for years & looks to be a good buy for a my00
The Following User Says Thank You to norwest_rumbler For This Useful Post:
bremmer (22-07-2013)

Tags
balls, because racecar, boost, cat, chop chop ad, dak, dok, dok dok boom!, dokless, heard a slight tapping...... meh she'll be right, let it die, limiter launchs rule!!, lot, needs more cable ties, rattle can presentable, rip funny tags, snap dakle pop, sorta running well, stock