Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

cheers for the corcern guys, I know it sucks all this work and waiting then this happens, oh well I'll get over it.... eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza View Post
Bugger!!!! Chuck a 207 bottom end in it, it's a shame you went for the aftermarket computer so soon, it's probably what killed it but the rest of the car should be fine.

I don't see how 6,000rpm and 3,000rmp launches could kill something made to spin up to 8,000rpm............something wrong somewhere, maybe a bit of pinging on the knackered computer and was the car dynoed for that computer or was it just chucked in there?????
after the first issues arose a vipec ecu was going to be fitted but then the guys said it would be easier to fit the power fc from their v4 sti and it went to asg and they checked it and everything was working correctly and apparently it was running really well for what it had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Hi Cat,

For those of us who werent at Motorplex this week, what happened to your car? Did it complete a run? Die half way through?

Does the engine still run, at all? Does it make noises?

What's the initial diagnosis? Spun bearing? Blown piston? Bent valve? Will it really require a full rebuild??
Hi Matt

I got the car back Wednesday morning and it was running sweet so I thought I would go to the motorplex to get practice for racewars this weekend, I did a few runs and it was fun because I actually beat someone, after that I started hearing a slight tapping noise and I thought it was the exhaust hitting the rear so I thought nothing of it(bad mistake)

Then on my final run it went down the straight well, I got a low 15 and as I drove back down through the snakepit and the noise got louder and something went pop and it was squeaking,squealing,rattling and making other horrible noises so I had to baby it back to the carpark with everyone looking at me with that "oh shit" look on there faces and I called a tow truck because there was no way I was driving it home.

This morning I called Stechnic and asked if they could have a quick look at it, I got it towed there and started it up and within 2 seconds Damien said turn it off, it has big end failure and my heart sunk It still runs but as Mitch stated it sounds like shite.
I will be considering getting a 207 instead of rebuilding but I need time to decide what I will do.

Anyway good news, I will still be going to racewars but just to watch,enjoy the atmosphere and to go to the saturday night party so I will just strap a sleeping bag to my bike and ride there tomorrow evening
deano555, mARC and Jeckle like this.

Last edited by Cat; 04-04-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

stoff at standard level

Out of curiosity, did it actually make it onto the dyno to be checked out? And have you got a graph with boost and Afr's?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post
cheers for the corcern guys, I know it sucks all this work and waiting then this happens, oh well I'll get over it.... eventually

after the first issues arose a vipec ecu was going to be fitted but then the guys said it would be easier to fit the power fc from their v4 sti and it went to asg and they checked it and everything was working correctly and apparently it was running really well for what it had.

Hi Matt

I got the car back Wednesday morning and it was running sweet so I thought I would go to the motorplex to get practice for racewars this weekend, I did a few runs and it was fun because I actually beat someone, after that I started hearing a slight tapping noise and I thought it was the exhaust hitting the rear so I thought nothing of it(bad mistake)

Then on my final run it went down the straight well, I got a low 15 and as I drove back down through the snakepit and the noise got louder and something went pop and it was squeaking,squealing,rattling and making other horrible noises so I had to baby it back to the carpark with everyone looking at me with that "oh shit" look on there faces and I called a tow truck because there was no way I was driving it home.

This morning I called Stechnic and asked if they could have a quick look at it, I got it towed there and started it up and within 2 seconds Damien said turn it off, it has big end failure and my heart sunk It still runs but as Mitch stated it sounds like shite.
I will be considering getting a 207 instead of rebuilding but I need time to decide what I will do.

Anyway good news, I will still be going to racewars but just to watch,enjoy the atmosphere and to go to the saturday night party so I will just strap a sleeping bag to my bike and ride there tomorrow evening
Just to confirm, was it retuned with the power fc fitted?
^^^ beat me to it!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

If you wanna get it up and going relatively cheap and quickly, see here.
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/sale/537...jdm-parts.html
Neil might be able to do you a deal on it and maybe fit it?
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Out of curiosity, did it actually make it onto the dyno to be checked out? And have you got a graph with boost and Afr's?
I don't think so as the v4 sti had the same setup as mine so it was swapped and the computer was hooked up to make sure it was running well, and it was and apparently the gc8's learn and adapt unlike the newer models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX View Post
If you wanna get it up and going relatively cheap and quickly, see here.
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/sale/537...jdm-parts.html
Neil might be able to do you a deal on it and maybe fit it?

ha ha I forgot about that........... oh Neil where are you
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

That has your name all over it.
Cat likes this.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

Quote:
I don't think so as the v4 sti had the same setup as mine so it was swapped and the computer was hooked up to make sure it was running well, and it was and apparently the gc8's learn and adapt unlike the newer models.

I dare say that's a possible cause! It should have been retuned to your vehicle...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Could have the blown engine out, and this engine in within a week...
Not so bad after all?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Stock ecu, classic shape can learn on the run
Power fc, not so
It may well come down to the age and condition of the motor you got
The power fc that was on the v4 motor may be better to start with, ie less ks, abuse, etc
No way of telling what went wrong exactly, but lesson learnt no doubt

Why did it go to asg if no dyno time?

Last edited by pmh; 04-04-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Who in the actual fuck told you that?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
balls, because racecar, boost, cat, chop chop ad, dak, dok, dok dok boom!, dokless, heard a slight tapping...... meh she'll be right, let it die, limiter launchs rule!!, lot, needs more cable ties, rattle can presentable, rip funny tags, snap dakle pop, sorta running well, stock