Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Sir AntiLag

silver_opal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Allow me to explain a few things guys:

1. Manufacturers group vehicles by Chassis family, not by year, not by engine & not by retail models etc - which means in Subaru's Fast the "GC" (actually G10 chassis) catalogue covers ALL GC/GF/G3/G5 etc from 92-2000 - so a vin IS required to exclude the other G10 chassis items that aren't fitted to your specific chassis....So say I went looking for a 'GC' sway bar bush (for example) in Subaru's FAST parts system with no vin, the system will list ALL the sway bar bushes used over the chassis's entire lifespan, for all variants (wagon,Gx,lx,Sti,FWD & wrx) maybe 7 or 8 different part numbers, it won't tell me the dimensions,colour, part number specific differences, year range of use etc...It just doesn't work that way, Don't blame the guy using the system....We DIDN'T design it!

2. Parts interpreters can't be expected to know EVERY part on EVERY vehicle.....50,000 unique part numbers per model just aint gonna happen....Even if it is just a crush washer for a sump plug....it still has a 7-13 digit part number that we need to locate via the catalogue....Which means a VIN is required. Nissan for example has 12 commonly used sump washers..... across all of their engines. Odds are 1 in 12 for guessing the correct 1 for you?

3. What would take 30 seconds to find with a VIN number in the system, may take 5 minutes to find without one - & that shits us.

4. They're not all the same..... regardless of what you may think!

5. Re-read #4.

There are short cuts to this system but they do allow inaccuracy to creep in.
YOU can use www.opposedforces.com to find your own part numbers, They may be correct, they may not..... I'd err on the side of caution myself.

The interpreter may keep some generic year/model/motor vin's on hand (I do this) to assist people with no idea what their VIN is...For those "Um, mate it's just a GU Patro/D40 Navara/Getz/xtrail/Sonata/i30/skylinel" moments.

Think of your VIN as the Password to access your specific car's details, it's a simple as that. It takes YOU 30 seconds to write down your vin for a parts guy & I don't think it's too much to ask... I keep my vin in my phone, pretty simple.

Plus it saves you:
Time - the parts guy is looking at your specific chassis.
From getting the wrong parts - as only what was fitted OEM to your chassis is listed with part numbers.

And it stops the interpreter pulling his hair out in pure frustration from hearing "It's just a xxxx, they're all the same, how hard can it be? there's millions on the road" for the 100th time today.

Trust me it isn't as easy as you may think....

I've done Nissan,Toyota,Ford,Holden,Bmw,Porsche, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Chrysler, Mazda, Jeep, Dodge,Hyundai & Daihatsu from an OEM parts supply view point......Regardless of cataloge system used by them (Microcat, Partfinder, Etk, Piwis, Fast parts, etc), the common thing amongst them all is their catalogues require a VIN to be accurate.

End of explanation.
Rossco,

Thanks for posting that. Was a good read.
Usually learn something when I read your posts.
And yes, the VIN makes everything a lot quicker, easier and stress free all round.
Nat
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

My07Beast at standard level

what gives me the S**T
is when your week is going great
you finish work, only to find out your car has been keyed
now my rest of the weekend has been ruined
time to drown my sorrows at summardyze
Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

Quote:
Allow me to explain a few things guys:

End of explanation.

Indeed. I bought some wheel nuts from subaru without having my vin number, and they were wrong, despite the listing being for a 2000 wrx :/
Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

People who work at coventry's etc, be happy. Your life isn't going to end in 15 minutes. Don't treat me like a piece of dog shit just because you hate yourself. Or don't get a job in customer service.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

After all that Rossco, you've never asked me for a VIN number.. so I'll just keep assuming you know all 50,000 parts
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
After all that Rossco, you've never asked me for a VIN number.. so I'll just keep assuming you know all 50,000 parts
But I have 15 years of accrued knowledge, maybe that's where I'm different.

Not many people can handle it in a busy parts dept. answering 100+ calls a day, whilst meeting quote, order & supply deadlines....That's just the nature of the beast.

I've started to look for a position playing with bigger toys now.... I want out of an 8-5 office job & I want shift work!

P.s. I double check the numbers you give against my copy of Scoobaru's Fast & I check for suppressions on those through Subi Osb park....I like to be thorough!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
the common thing amongst them all is their catalogues require a VIN to be accurate.

End of explanation.
Problem arises when a guy needs to buy a brake caliper spring for a 98 WRX that has 4 pots fitted to it for example. He can quote his VIN 'till the cows come home, he'll never get the right spring. Some interpreters can listen long enough to get the story and work out what you need, others can't.

I just keep a list of VIN's that I know have certain parts. If I need a part for a RS Liberty with Brembo brakes and a 6 speed transmission I use an appropriate VIN when ordering.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

I was talking oem fitment, I use your method Doug when looking up modified Skylines, I have a list of Vin's by engine & trans type....For those that are throwing RB25's in everything from patrols to Vl crapadores
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dragon2002 View Post
people come up behind me, then overtake on right lane and then change back to the left lane again, indicating to me that I'm driving too slow when i am doing the limit.
No... that's law.

Try driving in the right hand lane on a freeway/major motorway in the East, when there is ample opportunity to merge back to the left... If the cops dont nab you... the bullets will...

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr? View Post
STI part is some $90 from RHDJAPAN
Or you can get them for Under $70 delivered from me.

$1100 + get would have been for another STi silicon part.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Closed Thread

Tags
grrrrr, things, v20