Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Complaints and Grievances
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrxwagon View Post
I'd bet that some of the younger kids on here would drive alot more aware than the majority of the population.
Has anyone got today's price of a dozen eggs please.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master D View Post
Kato is bang on the money!!!

I also agree with the idea of restricting p platers back to n/a / "underpowered" cars.

With experience and know how lacking there is no need for excessive hp to confuse matters.

Just like motorcyclists - 250cc for a year then open class license.

P platers might hate it but they would be beat off living past the p plates to see where us " old withered" types are coming from.

There is a time and place for everything.
bit of an extract repost but...

"The restrictions will be a big step in the right direction on one hand, will cause other negative repercussions on the other.

The BIGGEST step in the right direction would have to be far more thorough driver training. Everybody complains about Perth's slow road speed limits, and when it comes to the argument of Australian road speed limits people time & time again bring up the example of Germany, it's autobahns and the speeds which are driven on them. So for this argument, i will raise the driver training which is undergone for a person to get their license in Germany. They undergo quite extensive driving theory before even sitting in the drivers seat of a vehicle, this encompasses basic automobile mechanics, vehicle maintenance, the difference in dynamics of driving a RWD, FWD AWD...and so on. You would be amazed at the number of people in Australia that would have no idea if their car was FWD, AWD or RWD, let alone what difference it makes to how they drive, or even how to maintain a vehicle so it is capable of travelling at high speeds safer. Getting, & KEEPING a license in Germany is not anywhere near as simple as it is in Australia.

So should P platers have a power restriction? YES!!! most definitely, until the driver training program, amongst other things, is improved. because at the moment the only way for a P-plate driver to learn the very basics of driving dynamics is through experience on the roads - as a P-plater-, the only way a P-plater learns how their SS Commodore ute handles at it's extremes is to go out on the roads and try it out, generally with no idea in advance of what could possibly happen, however the same manoeuver in a low powered vehicle will have a far better chance of being controlled & survived as it would be more difficult to reach dangerous speeds. I am speaking in terms of those that manage to hit light poles in back streets from trying to drift a corner and lose it, or losing control driving at high speeds on moderate limit roads, not so much simply driving as fast as they possibly can down the freeway which is something every P-plater would have tried at one time or another.

On the flipside, i see a problem with drivers that would go out as soon as they're off their P-plates and buying a performance car and still not really having the necessary experience to control the vehicle safely. On this side of the argument all that is going to be achieved is the rate of teenage road deaths will decrease,, with a steady rise in the road toll of those in their early 20's."

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Sir AntiLag

Okibi at standard level

Quote:
...Making the penalties harsher for P-platers is a crock of shit, yes they are less experianced but how many older drivers could pass a current driving test?

.. and how else do you expect them to learn if they cant practise/learn.
But the penalties aren't any harsher, they've been given parity with other drivers in that if they're loosing 4 points a year they'd loose their licence.

Pass the current driving test? My son passed about 9 months ago; no hill start, no 3 point turn, no parallel park, no reverse around a corner etc. The current system is a joke. They need another test after their log book to make sure they haven't developed any bad habits.

Perhaps we need a 2 day course as part of the final step in getting your licence, we could teach people emergency braking, safe driving tips, what to do in an accident and perhaps even some basic first aid. If anyone acts like a tool during the course then they'd be considered not mature enough to have a licence and have to rebook the course at a later date.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Making the penalties harsher for P-platers is a crock of shit, yes they are less experianced but how many older drivers could pass a current driving test?
Current testing is absolutely shithouse. Being able to pass a driving test, does not mean you can actually drive.

For instance, I know of 2 people who stalled their car 10+ times on their driving test, yet still got a licence. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want some novice stalling their car all the time on the roads.

I also know a few other people who have been for their tests 5+ times and still fail. I'm sorry, but those people should just be given a multirider for life and told not to drive. Driving is a skill. I can't play basketball, so I don't expect to have a position in the starting line up for the NBA.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

crankin91 at standard level

Tough discussion, on one hand being a p plater myself (not for much longer) I agree that we are discriminated against when driving performance cars. For instance I've only ever been pulled over once, but when I was I spend 40 minutes on the side of the road while the police "inspected" my car trying to find ANYTHING that would allow them to sticker me, when they found nothing (I like to think my car is pretty tidy) they smacked me with a no front P plate fine because it had fallen on the floor. On the other hand, I do agree that the vast majority of P platers are complete MORON's. I also agree that the current driving test is a crock, as Okibi said; there is no parallel, no hill start. The thing I found most shocking when I did my test was the fact that they don't really test your DRIVING stills at all; it’s all about being able to reverse out of driveways in the correct fashion. I'm sure I could have done a handbreakie around the first corner and as long as I was indicating and checking my mirrors I would have been marked fine! The other thing that really grinds my gears is the fact that most p platers fail there test 2 or 3 times before getting their license...In my opinion that sums up drivers in Perth all together, Freeway merging, case and point.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Avalanche at standard level

its not about passing the driving test, its about silly driving that they know they are doing at the time. trust me i see a lot of P platers and lots of them drive like they think they are F1 drivers. the point is they can drive thats how they pass their driving test, but once they pass they drive like idiots.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Jordiee at standard level

I got given a parallel and 3 point turn in both manual and auto driving tests which I both passed first time, however plenty of my mates have told me that they were essentially instructed to go for a leisurely cruise and do a few forward parks for their tests.

it really depends on where you go imo, city west has a reputation for being fairly lenient, conversly places like morley seem to be overly strict on drivers from what I've heard
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

MCL at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by _daz_ View Post
bit of an extract repost but...

"The restrictions will be a big step in the right direction on one hand, will cause other negative repercussions on the other.

The BIGGEST step in the right direction would have to be far more thorough driver training. Everybody complains about Perth's slow road speed limits, and when it comes to the argument of Australian road speed limits people time & time again bring up the example of Germany, it's autobahns and the speeds which are driven on them. So for this argument, i will raise the driver training which is undergone for a person to get their license in Germany. They undergo quite extensive driving theory before even sitting in the drivers seat of a vehicle, this encompasses basic automobile mechanics, vehicle maintenance, the difference in dynamics of driving a RWD, FWD AWD...and so on. You would be amazed at the number of people in Australia that would have no idea if their car was FWD, AWD or RWD, let alone what difference it makes to how they drive, or even how to maintain a vehicle so it is capable of travelling at high speeds safer. Getting, & KEEPING a license in Germany is not anywhere near as simple as it is in Australia.

So should P platers have a power restriction? YES!!! most definitely, until the driver training program, amongst other things, is improved. because at the moment the only way for a P-plate driver to learn the very basics of driving dynamics is through experience on the roads - as a P-plater-, the only way a P-plater learns how their SS Commodore ute handles at it's extremes is to go out on the roads and try it out, generally with no idea in advance of what could possibly happen, however the same manoeuver in a low powered vehicle will have a far better chance of being controlled & survived as it would be more difficult to reach dangerous speeds. I am speaking in terms of those that manage to hit light poles in back streets from trying to drift a corner and lose it, or losing control driving at high speeds on moderate limit roads, not so much simply driving as fast as they possibly can down the freeway which is something every P-plater would have tried at one time or another.

On the flipside, i see a problem with drivers that would go out as soon as they're off their P-plates and buying a performance car and still not really having the necessary experience to control the vehicle safely. On this side of the argument all that is going to be achieved is the rate of teenage road deaths will decrease,, with a steady rise in the road toll of those in their early 20's."
+1 to all of the above!

In Germany it also costs upwards of 2000 euro to get your license, this covers all your training costs etc. You don't have a yearly license charge to keep it like we do here. This would also discourage young drivers from doing dangerous things on the road, as that is a huge amount of money to part with, and have the potential to loose. Especially when your are 17!

When will people realise that driving is a privilege, NOT A RIGHT!

My 2c.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

crankin91 at standard level

I think the answer isn't putting restrictions on what cars P platers can drive because as _daz_ pointed out as soon as they do buy their performance cars they're still not going to have any idea how to drive a performance car. I think the first thing that would need to happen would be to make the test much harder, it should include things like emergency breaking (like a bike test does) this would probably cut down a lot of rear enders. On the same note people need to be taught about wet weather driving and how you can't just treat it as if it’s a normal sunny day. They also need to learn about stopping distances so we can stop the trend of tailgating that’s running rampant through the city at the moment. Also; MERGING and some advanced driving lessons wouldn’t go astray.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

It troubles me that every second P-plate driver out there seems to want a powerful car straight out of nappies. I got myself into my fair share of awkward moments with a 1.3lt Mazda as a new road user.

Maybe a standard issue Hyundai Getz is the answer. Everyone gets the same car.

Even with the new rules I think kids still have it pretty easy with car choice and freedoms on the road.

Suck it up. Learn to drive. And for fuck sake don't crash into me.

Tags
backseat bandits, ban commodores and falcons!, ban p platers from breathing, laws, marc got baited by an l plater, p plater rage, plater, ridiculous, skids = good driver