Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > ECUTEK Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 04:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

Stock ECUs are good for mild modifications, but unless you can read assembly code, understand the logic and table locations in memory, you only have about 3/4 of the tables available to edit from opensource tuning. Ecutek and Cobb have in no doubt found more of the tables to edit. Add to this the relatively slow logging rate and not being able to tune in real time, it becomes a very time consuming task.

If going aftermarket I think the Vipec is the way to go if you want a lot of good features for the money. I have only been reading through the manual for the Vipec, but from what I've seen the closed loop fueling is really good, you can set up delays against RPM to account for the time the exhaust gas reaches the sensor.

The closed loop boost control looks pretty cool also, you can stage it so you run 100% WGDC up to say 80% of your target, then you switch to PD control until you get to say 95% of your target and then from there use PI control. I have been trying to replicate something like this in the stock ECU, but I don't have the PD stage, just PI and it means I have to set the turbo dynamics a bit more conservatively to prevent spiking on gear changes.

It's just a pity the man behind Vipec Ray Hall has retired. But it looks like he has set up a good team to take his place.
Old 19-07-2011, 04:37 PM
pathalogical liar

jenskii is unrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Stock ECUs are good for mild modifications, but unless you can read assembly code, understand the logic and table locations in memory, you only have about 3/4 of the tables available to edit from opensource tuning. Ecutek and Cobb have in no doubt found more of the tables to edit. Add to this the relatively slow logging rate and not being able to tune in real time, it becomes a very time consuming task.

If going aftermarket I think the Vipec is the way to go if you want a lot of good features for the money. I have only been reading through the manual for the Vipec, but from what I've seen the closed loop fueling is really good, you can set up delays against RPM to account for the time the exhaust gas reaches the sensor.

The closed loop boost control looks pretty cool also, you can stage it so you run 100% WGDC up to say 80% of your target, then you switch to PD control until you get to say 95% of your target and then from there use PI control. I have been trying to replicate something like this in the stock ECU, but I don't have the PD stage, just PI and it means I have to set the turbo dynamics a bit more conservatively to prevent spiking on gear changes.

It's just a pity the man behind Vipec Ray Hall has retired. But it looks like he has set up a good team to take his place.
Thanks =) will look into the Vipec, extremely hot STi btw
Old 19-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Vipec, Link G4, same, same, all good
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 19-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Just out of interest what sort of resolution would a standard 04 sti ecu have?
LIke a dog with a bone, and because Russ asked. A factory '02-04 STI ecu has 288 cells in its fuel and ignition maps, it runs 2 fuel maps, one of which is a failsafe which it will revert to depending on what faults are logged.
THe ECU continuously adjust ignition timing, only using the timing map as a base before it adds compensations and adjusts up or down depending on what its reading from the knock sensor and what correction mode it is in.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 19-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
Vipec, Link G4, same, same, all good
Yes and no - very closely related, but not identical.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Sir AntiLag

REXISM at standard level

motec=win win..buy mine. $2000.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
I think I can say, with great confidence, that my factory ECU is way more advanced then a PFC. Even my Link 44S has feedback knock control.
Oh.....C'mon......No shit the GC/GF (1990's tech) ecu is less advanced than it's newer canbus brethren, it's the same for 99% of pre 2000 v's post 2000 Oem ecu's in all makes, what's your point?

The PFC is far from a dumb ecu. Even less so if you understand their tuning methodology......

What's got you thinking the FC is inept?

Perhaps you should read this:

Apexi PowerFC FAQ

If you want to pick on shit ecu's pick on Microtech or Wolf......OR Possum link's.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 19-07-2011, 10:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

SL33P3R at standard level

Basically, get something that doesn't use the AFM.
ECUTek and verso, practically the same, one licensed, one not. should check out the new ECUTek race rom, more things unlocked for 06-on
Old 19-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL33P3R View Post
Basically, get something that doesn't use the AFM.
ECUTek and verso, practically the same, one licensed, one not. should check out the new ECUTek race rom, more things unlocked for 06-on
THREAD IS ABOUT GC8's...No Verso for them & ECUwreck is shit on Pre bugeye.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 19-07-2011, 11:02 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Lol at tag! Agree though. My poor little puppy had his balls chopped off today and he is in heaps of pain.
Closed Thread

Tags
russ is on rags, tuning