Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Vendors and Sponsors > Evolution R
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Below are some pics that were lost in the old thread. I will be updating all the pics in this thread as time allows.

Note: As I am working with STD to quickly develop and the coilovers for the BRZ, take good note of the front suspension of this M3 as there are similarities between the front set-up of the M3 to the new BRZ.

Below is the STD coilover install on a P.WRX member's BMW E46 M3. .

Camber adjustable Pillowball Upper Mounts are accurately manufactured and in the case of the M3, the top had to be offset precisely during manufacture, for accurate alignment setting.

Monotubes have patented scaling for accurate adjustments.

STD coilovers come with all mounts for Brake and ABS lines.

As the M3 has the sway bar linkages linked to the front strut, STD also provides stronger adjustable sway bar linkages to assist with height changes.

Rear Install:

The BMW M3 has an Independent Suspension Set-up. Below are pics of the Seperate STD Shock Monotube and Adjustable spring Platform (note: Patented scaling is also available on the rear monotube but difficult to see due to the angle of the picture taken):

STD Coilovers supplied, installed and aligned @Evolution R:

Finished Product:

Last edited by mao; 28-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 28-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Below are pics of the install on a Forester SG. This is one of my favorites as the Forester's stance is totally changed, while the handling is dramatically improved at the same time.

Front Factory Suspension:

STD Coilovers vs Factory Suspension:

STD Coilovers Camber Adjustable Pillowball Upper Mount with Damper Adjustment:

STD Coilovers supplied, installed and aligned for Subaru Forrester SG :

Old 31-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Thanks P.WRX for your continuous support.

As part of STD's committment on continuous improvement, I have just installed the new STD R5-C into u-ra-bus's GD WRX today. I have requested STD to develop a unit that is more comfortable, whilst still providing the handling required, for the GD and GR/GH Imprezas, as per the request of some P.WRX members.

Spring rates have also been altered to 8kgmm and 6kgmm, with a lower spring rate for more comfort.

For those who take corners hard on a daily basis, the STD R5s will still be available. Although I don't find the R5s uncomfortable in any way, especially in the soft dampening settings, I still would prefer to use the R5 personally as I like to have a good feel of the driving surface and it gives me more confidence knowing the surface I am driving on.

Also, STD maintains it designs at a proper usage level, whereby the travel of the shock is not affected by the height adjustment. I have seen a lot of recent hype of expensive coilovers which provide you with a longer spring, plus a helper spring, with no provision for maintaining shock travel. This means that once the vehicle is lowered, shock travel is proportionately reduced. I will go into further details down the thread.

From my own experience, I have gone through the top brands like Teins, HKS, Cusco, Ohlins, KW on my own EVO 6.5 and regardless of the opinions of others (to each their own- with respect), the STD coilovers are on par if not better. IMO, having a set of coilovers at a competitive price, would only mean less marketing dollars for STD coilovers, but will be an added bonus to end-users.

Also, Evolution R's committment to P.WRX and its sale of STD coilovers is absolute, which means we don't just sell you the product, we offer an uncompromising after-sales service during or out of warranty locally here in Australia and in Perth, backed by our own well-equipped workshop. In saying this, I hope I have not let down any the P.WRX STD coilover users and will be trying to give you a more comprehensive and improved service in time to come. (DIN: I have not forgotten about your request for posting a 'how to' on proper height adjustment here. Will find the time to do it)

I will be doing another install on a P.WRX GD tomorrow and will post the pics of these new units shortly.

u-ra-bus GD WRX fitted with the new STD R5-Cs today. Note the car looks higher as it was jacked up on the hydraulic lift for access to steering arms and toe adjustments. I did not get a chance to take the final pics as I was spending quite a bit of time on the final ride quality.:

Front sneak pics:

Rear sneak pic:
Old 31-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Scoobie Noobie

pk26 at standard level

Mao,
PM sent about booking in for STD's and whiteline package
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

ur-a-bus at standard level

Hi Mao.

Brilliant job with the install and allignment of the R5-C's mate, damper and spring rate feels good. It handles so much better when the roads get twisty, noticeably less body roll even without anti-roll bars etc. It is firm enough to feel the surface of the road, whilst still being comfortable when cruising. Looks a million times better also!

These STD Coilovers are such good value and are just as good, maybe even better than much more expensive brands.

I Strongly recommend going through Evo-R for your Coilovers, they know there stuff.

WRX sitting how it should.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Cheers for the comments. Glad you like the suspension.

The STD R5-C as mentioned before has been revalved and altered for lesser spring rates. (8kgmm front and 6kgmm rear).

Below are pics of the rear STD Coilvers R5C versus the standard strut.

We have increased the travel of the shock, reduced the spring rate to 6kgmm and altered the linear valving in the monotube to slightly less gradual.

1) Reducing the rate of the spring, adds more comfort to your ride.

2) Increasing the length of the spring, allows the spring to sit lower, reducing of the Centre of Gravity of each individual shock monotube, while reducing the agressiveness of the ride.
Note: The ride can be adjusted more agressively through the top damper adjustment with the new monotube valving.

3) Linear valving is still used for good response but the gradiant is increased slightly to add more comfort. This gradient can be adjusted back down with the new monotube valving as well.

Last edited by mao; 01-04-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

tarmac at standard level

Hi Mao,
I am looking for a coilover to suit N14 SSS pulsar.Does STD have anything??

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Sorry for the late reply.Trying to get work out before the long weekend.

I believe the JDM version is called the Sentra or Sunny. They need to be ordered and will take up to 2 weeks.

PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac View Post
Hi Mao,
I am looking for a coilover to suit N14 SSS pulsar.Does STD have anything??

Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Below are some pics of STD coilovers we installed on a Stagea, 350Z and TAL's STi. Will update with more STD installs next week.

STD Front Camber Adjustable Pillow-top Upper Mount set to max camber:

It looks normal in this pic:

Look again:

Rear Camber once again is maxed out on the STD coilovers:

TAL's STi with Work's LS 19x10 rear and 19x9 front.

Stagea Front pic:

Finished Product:

350Z finished pics:

Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

Mao,

Just wondering whether STD's would be suitable for gravel use (GC8-WRX)?
I know tarmac and gravel are worlds apart, however if the STD legs can be adjusted to standard ride height, you have enough travel and softer springs, would the 50mm dampers cope?

Karl
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]

Tags
brake, clutch, coilovers, kit, kits, plate, products, std, tax audit time, twin, tyres