Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

cut to the chase & buy an sti otherwise you'll find you'll spend more time upgrading to sti parts

things the sti has that the wrx doesn't:

stronger 6 speed gearbox (peanut models onwards have dccd - meaning you can control the amount of drive between front & rear wheels)
stronger R180 rear diff
brembo brakes front & rear
better suspension (bigger swaybars, better struts, stiffer springs)
nicer interior (dash cluster, blue and black seats)
bigger turbo standard
ej207engine block (handles more boost than stock wrx)

all these mods soon add up to bulk $$$ when you're purchaing them separate, by the time most people have spent $10-15k upgrading thier wrx to these specs you may aswel have splashed out the extra $5-10k in the initial purchase price to buy the sti
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99 View Post
Is this the jokes thread??
Not at all.

Sure rip a limiter launch and get a few car lenghts which equals a better 0-100 time, but say from 60kmh, stock for stock, an 03 wrx isnt exactly omg let me rub one out right now this is orgasmic territory, and would quite likely get taken by a VY SS.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Not at all.

Sure rip a limiter launch and get a few car lenghts which equals a better 0-100 time, but say from 60kmh, stock for stock, an 03 wrx isnt exactly omg let me rub one out right now this is orgasmic territory, and would quite likely get taken by a VY SS.
Interesting.
I have never driven an 03 wrx. Are they particularly slow?
I regularly drive a VZ SS, and a VZ clubby, and have lined up against them both when my 99 was stock. The wrx would beat them to the posted speed limit in all cases.
I conclude that "in terms of acceleration" (which is what my point is quoting), the wrx is faster than an SS.

You are completely entitled to feel otherwise.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

artman at standard level

In addition to above, the other differences I found in the peanuts: 04+ has horizontal bar for sliding seat back/forward (as opposed to a handle), and body coloured skirts, 05 gets red calipers. The "older" dash has an additional storage space at the bottom of the console which is handy for phone etc.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

An 03 wrx will very easily out accelerate out brake and out turn an ss commodore.Having driven both, a commodore has effortless power were as a wrx has phenomenal acceleration and the power doesn't drop off. If you get tired of the standard power level go see mms or all star, get a verso intake and a tune for a little extra not to mention sway bars anti lift kit and cpilovers for handling

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next
Old 06-08-2012, 08:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

T R3X at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
An 03 wrx will very easily out accelerate out brake and out turn an ss commodore.
In this case, an opinion from someone that has or has had both is needed. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few members on here that can answer it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Shaun at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by T R3X View Post
In this case, an opinion from someone that has or has had both is needed. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few members on here that can answer it.
I own both, a Vt SS 5.7 and an 06 wrx and they were standard when I got them, the Ls engines are very vague as they were detuned in production but they have legs, Standard Rex's will own an SS to 140km then the Commo will real them back in, For bang for buck the Ls is a great motor but spend the same coin on supporting mods I'll back the EJ any day, At the end of the day a Commo is a family bus, They can be quick by feeding them gas, fitting a cam and slicks, But the quater mile is all they're good at, Show them a corner and thay'll bend their own struts.
But this is comparing apples to oranges.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ThatLegend at standard level
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I own both, a Vt SS 5.7 and an 06 wrx and they were standard when I got them, the Ls engines are very vague as they were detuned in production but they have legs, Standard Rex's will own an SS to 140km then the Commo will real them back in, For bang for buck the Ls is a great motor but spend the same coin on supporting mods I'll back the EJ any day, At the end of the day a Commo is a family bus, They can be quick by feeding them gas, fitting a cam and slicks, But the quater mile is all they're good at, Show them a corner and thay'll bend their own struts.
But this is comparing apples to oranges.
Yeah I'm quite pleased with the performance that my SS puts out, had a bit of fun on the straight with him now and then just mucking around from lights to the speed limits and what not. But yes as you said, "Apples and Oranges" I have always liked the WRXs though, so clean and sexy, but then again I love my SS I'm so torn as to what to do. But as mentioned before, my real bargaining chip is my SS I don't have spare cash to just openly buy another car at this very moment in time. So looking to hopefully swap/sell the commy. It will be a sad moment, but also excited to see what the future WRX holds. There's always the option of going back to an SS but the hard part is finding one that has been looked after like mine has, and hasn't been molested. They way some people treat their cars is shocking.

I've dribbled on long enough...
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

sorry had to edit my previous post, a v8 commodore is great bang for buck seeing as 350-400hp is very easy to achieve, but personally iwould much rather sacrifice a little power for handeling and braking

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next
Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

artman at standard level

Going from a RWD to WRX with similar power to weight, the amazing grip (especially in the wet) of the AWD was the biggest difference I noticed.

Tags
noob, question