Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Or go get the 60-100 or 80-120 times for the 03 WRX and a VZ SS or SV8.

Then realise what a stupid and pointless argument this is.

TJ buying WRX = they are the greatest.
TJ selling WRX = every other car pwns them.

^^ This has proven history on this forum too!
I am not saying a WRX is shit or that a VY SS is a better car, read my post on the previous page.

But a stock 03 isnt exactly the pinacle of performance motoring either.

Considering Ive owned several Subarus and no V8 commodores you can guess my preference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
How much time does one spending launching off lights though? Or down at the drags.

In real world use, having tons of torque through the rev range is a great thing.

I know that doesnt fit in the with the perth-wrx perception that nothing better exists than a wrx with hellatones and mudflaps, but you know what I mean... and I know you are smart enough to know it.
We both know I'm arguing somewhat just for the sake of arguing.
Like you said, it deprends how they're driven.
Sure, a stock wrx can beat a stock VY SS off the line... but, in terms of power on tap, and driveability, we both know where it's at, and I certainly know which I'd prefer to drive daily.
I can tell you now, it's not japanese or turbocharged.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

And this is why I love you Mr Cooper.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
I am not saying a WRX is shit or that a VY SS is a better car, read my post on the previous page.

But a stock 03 isnt exactly the pinacle of performance motoring either.

Considering Ive owned several Subarus and no V8 commodores you can guess my preference.
But you did say that a wrx would get taken by a SS. Reading that a car can be 'taken' by another implies at least a car length imo. Comparing similar aged vehicles (unfair to compare a 03 WRX to a VE imo). Going off 80-120 times (or 60-100 times) the world's journalists disagree with you. But given the closeness of the times and then taking into consideration manual vs auto, who puts the foot down first etc it is a pointless argument to make.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99 View Post
We both know I'm arguing somewhat just for the sake of arguing.
Spoilsport!

I'm trying to entertain my afternoon here and you bail early!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Pick of the bunch is a 05 STI, but usually attracts a premium and harder to locate one.
Post '05 is the 2.5lt with extra torque. If power and hard driving is your game definitely go the STI over a WRX. 6 speed >>> 5.

Getting a WRX off the line takes some practice. Sure on paper it might be quicker but a slush box and a V8, pending wheel spin, is in it's native environment. Then again. If you really wanted to go quick in a straight line you'd be looking for an F6.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ThatLegend at standard level

Okay thanks for that guys, I think the best thing to do is try and find out for myself by driving it, will try and get an STI model, but the main thing is I am trying to use my SS as a trading point, because no point having two cars, specially when you can't enjoy both of them. Plus insurance would be pricey with the two. So yeah, ringing around and trying to see if anyone is keen for swaps etc, advertised online but only got replies back from bogans offering like Nissan Pulsar SSS and KTM motorbikes, Best offer I would say is either a 4 door R34 or the 03 WRX, which I haven't looked at yet. Have been offered a Galant aswell but I hear they are pretty crappy parts wise etc.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:40 PM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

if you've always wanted a WRX, get yourself a WRX/STI.

There are always people keen on swaps, but you'll have to wait. If you can sell your car privately, you're obviously in a better position.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Shaun at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by T R3X View Post
In this case, an opinion from someone that has or has had both is needed. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few members on here that can answer it.
I own both, a Vt SS 5.7 and an 06 wrx and they were standard when I got them, the Ls engines are very vague as they were detuned in production but they have legs, Standard Rex's will own an SS to 140km then the Commo will real them back in, For bang for buck the Ls is a great motor but spend the same coin on supporting mods I'll back the EJ any day, At the end of the day a Commo is a family bus, They can be quick by feeding them gas, fitting a cam and slicks, But the quater mile is all they're good at, Show them a corner and thay'll bend their own struts.
But this is comparing apples to oranges.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ThatLegend at standard level
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I own both, a Vt SS 5.7 and an 06 wrx and they were standard when I got them, the Ls engines are very vague as they were detuned in production but they have legs, Standard Rex's will own an SS to 140km then the Commo will real them back in, For bang for buck the Ls is a great motor but spend the same coin on supporting mods I'll back the EJ any day, At the end of the day a Commo is a family bus, They can be quick by feeding them gas, fitting a cam and slicks, But the quater mile is all they're good at, Show them a corner and thay'll bend their own struts.
But this is comparing apples to oranges.
Yeah I'm quite pleased with the performance that my SS puts out, had a bit of fun on the straight with him now and then just mucking around from lights to the speed limits and what not. But yes as you said, "Apples and Oranges" I have always liked the WRXs though, so clean and sexy, but then again I love my SS I'm so torn as to what to do. But as mentioned before, my real bargaining chip is my SS I don't have spare cash to just openly buy another car at this very moment in time. So looking to hopefully swap/sell the commy. It will be a sad moment, but also excited to see what the future WRX holds. There's always the option of going back to an SS but the hard part is finding one that has been looked after like mine has, and hasn't been molested. They way some people treat their cars is shocking.

I've dribbled on long enough...

Tags
noob, question