Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Do you not have insurance?
Old 20-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
Do you not have insurance?

That picture appears to be in Fowles Salvage yard. I'd sugest it's already been paid out as a repairable writeoff.

Any repairable writeoff will need documentaion to prove airbag replacement and repair at a licensed workshop or they won't relicense it. Bear this in mind when doing cash deals.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

low rider at standard level

yep looks like its been purchased at the auctions, which mean yes you will have to prove that the airbags were fitted by professionals, and also prove documentation to support that
Old 20-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Deffo a Fowles job, bugger all damage & I wouldn't hesitate to buy it once it's fixed properly.
What they said & I think a young guy on here a few years ago had problems getting his car licensed because he put JDM air bags in it, might be worth checking before you go ahead & buy 2nd hand parts.
Might be worth waiting for a GD to come up that's been smacked in the bum really hard......stat write off, even if it's over east.
I.E. this one. offer someone the wreck to strip the bits you need or freight it over & sell the good bits.

http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged/ve...otid-202109740
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 20-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 21-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC
Need to replace..

Both airbags
All sensors
Airbag controller (the "ECU" for the airbags).
Dash and steering wheel panels.

You don't have to replace the controller, but non-dodgy people always replace it.

I'm told that this will probably run you around the 5-8k mark if you buy it all from Subaru.
ALSO you need to replace the clock spring and the front seatbelts.
Old 21-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Assasin at standard level

edited.

Last edited by tuna; 21-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 21-06-2009, 08:51 AM

Elrico at standard level

When one of my friends crashed their car it went into subaru to be repaired. One of the jobs was to replace the deployed airbags. It ended up taking a long time as they were waiting for the wiring harness to be sent over from Japan. And it wasnt cheap at all.

I think the airbags were deployed when the idiots at the first workshop trying to fix it were putting on the front bumper or something along those lines. They cut a cable they shouldnt have from memory.
Old 21-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Assasin at standard level

why was my last post edited?
Old 21-06-2009, 10:54 AM
STI Master

Taktics at standard level

It was from fowels that car. The passenger side where they place their feet is completely destroyed. There is a decent size hole there where u can see from inside to outside. This is going to be a tough one to tackle for whoever is doing the repairs.

This is abit off topic - pretty hard to get a cut for that since it is all connected to the firewall?!
Old 21-06-2009, 03:16 PM

mARC at standard level

Hey mate, I took a print out of the pic above and showed it to my father we breifly discussed the car and he noted that you'ed have to be very careful when purchasing this vehicle.

He noted that you'ed have to have sound knowledge on the mechanical side of things being that its obviously taken a pretty hard hit underneath to have sustained the amount of damage to the rim.

Its adviseable to take a measuring tape to an undamaged vehicle and measure the the diagnals across the engine bay (making sure to use the same points on each side), this will enable you to determine if the tower as moved in any direction, also you may need to remove the carpet on the passenger side to check for damage to the floor pan as well (i'ed also recommend having a look for other undercarage structural damage) you can also gauge this by opening the passenger side door and seeing if you can feel the door move up or down when opening it, double checking this also when you close the door to see if it lines up with the catch, (taking this to the extreme for a moment), have you checked for any stress fractures or damage to the roof?), if this is the case I'ed recommend walking away slowly, as you'll be in a world of hurt if this is he case.

My father also noted sil damage, and the cost of mechanical parts replacement, this would definately be a considering factor, all the above needs to be factored in when purchasing a car like this as you have to understand that it was written off for a reason (have you checked for damage to the gear box, diff(s), sorted the possibility of control arm/stru replacement).

He made a rather interesting comment about the car 'Its not a Ford or a Holden', basicly meaning that parts arnt going to be cheap and the cost will mount up quite quickly (as im guessing you would already be aware of).

He concluded with the statement that these types of vehicles are mainly purchased by wreckers as they can source the majority of parts from their existing stock, or alternately add this vehicle to the heap for parts sales.

I dont know about your automotive experience but come equiped with as much knowledge as possible, no one will be able to accurately quote on the repairs of this or any other vehicle for that case 'site unseen', and if they state that they can they are bullshiting you.

Another question, have you been able to take the car for a test drive (will they let you exchange the damaged rim for the one in the boot or offer another tyre in its place?), i not there's a reason for that

I'ed not bid more then 10k for this car at auction if even that......

(also be pro-active, have you checked if the damage on this vehicle is located to that corner explicitly, seems to me its munched a curb or something pretty hard and there could be significant mechanical damage.)

Last edited by mARC; 21-06-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Tags
air, bags, deployed