Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2009, 07:24 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Redline Oil has this to say about Shock Proof: "not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions" it's not just hearsay from a few people.

Redline do recommend their 75W90 NS and it works a treat in my Tony Flood built Ivan Albins Helical Syncro box delivering 215kw

Redline adds:
"This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting."

Sounds like what you need.
Old 15-08-2009, 09:28 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

nicebus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Redline Oil has this to say about Shock Proof: "not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions" it's not just hearsay from a few people.

Redline do recommend their 75W90 NS and it works a treat in my Tony Flood built Ivan Albins Helical Syncro box delivering 215kw

Redline adds:
"This GL-5-type geal oil doesn't contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting."

Sounds like what you need.

Eh ?

From Redline site.

Car - Subaru - Impreza WRX & RX
1993-96 WRX 4WD 2.0Ltr Manual
Component Recommended Oil / Fluid
Motor Red Line 10W40 @ 4.0 Litres = 5 US Quarts
Manual Gearbox Red Line 'Lightweight Shockproof' (* For racing use Lightweight Shockproof or in some drag appl. use Heavy Shockproof) @ 3.5 Litres = 4 US Quarts
Front Diff Combined as FWD transaxle
Rear Diff Red Line 'Lightweight Shockproof' Gear Oil (* Advantage Option for Racing Only use 'Heavy Shockproof'.) @ 0.8 Litres = 1 US Quarts
Power Steering Red Line Synthetic Power Steering Fluid (Bar Code Nos 30404 or RL182-1) @ 0.9 Litres = 1 US Quarts
Cooling System Use WaterWetter (Pink) to improve temperature control and reduce corrosion. 1x355ml bottle with distilled water. @ 1 Bottles
Fuel System Red Line 'SI-1' Fuel System Cleaner. 1 bottle in petrol tank every 10,000 kms. @ 1 Bottles
Old 15-08-2009, 09:22 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyRS View Post
Oil is a bandaid fix for rooted sychros.

learn to drive the box properly and it should never crunch.
Oil is a bandaid fix ..yes... my mates 98 WRX has been shifting smoothly for 6 months since he put the redline in. $ 100 temp fix ..compared to what ? for a box overhaul.. granted , still have to be done one day..but doubt if the Redline will make it any worse when that time comes.

Learn to drive properly ... Good call my son.. Please define " properly ?"...
Double ..de .. clutch... ? Pause through the gate ?... Match the revs to the road speed ?
Old 15-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicebus View Post
Learn to drive properly ... Good call my son.. Please define " properly ?"...
Double ..de .. clutch... ? Pause through the gate ?... Match the revs to the road speed ?
Drive it properly:
1. Don't smash the 1st - 2nd, 2nd - 3rd shifts (up or down).....or start looking for a 2nd hand box now.
2. Don't force downshifts- if the syncro's are blocking you, you are doing something wrong.
3. Re-read # 2
4. Don't ever side-step the clutch.......EVER!!

97 STi?...... B - registered?

Version III (09/96 – 08/97) - GC8D
Or
Version IV (09/97 – 08/98) - GC8E

Australia didn't get either of them.

Your profile:

Manufacturer Toyota Model / Year 2001 Model None
97 Sti?

O/T:

Hi Eric

How's the new 207 coming along bud?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 15-08-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 15-08-2009, 03:05 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Drive it properly:
1. Don't smash the 1st - 2nd, 2nd - 3rd shifts (up or down).....or start looking for a 2nd hand box now.
2. Don't force downshifts- if the syncro's are blocking you, you are doing something wrong.
3. Re-read # 2

97 STi?...... B - registered?

Version III (09/96 – 08/97) - GC8D
Or
Version IV (09/97 – 08/98) - GC8E

Australia didn't get either of them.

Your profile:

Manufacturer Toyota Model / Year 2001 Model None
97 Sti?

O/T:

Hi Eric

How's the new 207 coming along bud?
97 STI box, but in a Brumby with 94 WRX motor.
Profile is for my Westfield ..4 AGE Toyota TC.
You are right on the money with your tips. Treat it gently. It will still give you a thrill and get you there with gearbox intact.
The Brumby is driving spot on now with the Redline. Smooth shifts and quiet.
The only prob b4 was a quick shift from 2nd to 3rd would give a slight " grunch"... That's not there now.
I'm happy ( 4 now )
Old 17-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Boring!
Old 17-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Boring!
Yea you proved it doesn't do to much harm didn't you Kato. REPEATEDLY

Just have to make certain you are keen enough to get wheel spin or it can get expensive.
Old 15-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Oil is a bandaid fix for rooted sychros..
Not necessarily. Perfectly good synchros can crunch if the wrong type of oil is used. I've filled crunchy boxes with Redline as a 'it can't hurt to try' repair, and the boxes work 100% afterwards. If the synchros are damaged, dogs burred or worn out they will never work properly, but crunching in Subaru boxes is often oil related.

Of course whenever someone mentions Redline Shockproof the old internet cranks up with stories of the mysterious green sludge. FFS, can we give it a rest until someone actually can prove it happens because of the oil? The same pic has been thrown around for years scaring people off using this oil, brilliant marketing by whoever made the story up in the first place. How about some first hand experience, not something read in the internet.
The same thing happened when Toyota released the 100 series Landcruiser with independent front suspension. One car, somewhere in the world developed a crack in the front control arm, and every 4x4 magazine in the world ran the same picture reporting 'numerous major failures'

I'm not a Redline dealer, or associated with them in any way but I've used it for years without any irregularities. I use it because it works. Yes, it's expensive and it annoys me paying $200 for a fill, but it's worth the money in my opinion.
Old 18-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Leeroy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
The same thing happened when Toyota released the 100 series Landcruiser with independent front suspension. One car, somewhere in the world developed a crack in the front control arm, and every 4x4 magazine in the world ran the same picture reporting 'numerous major failures'
Well I've seen eight of them cracked and two "major failures", if you count a $12000 desert recovery as a major failure.

But point taken.

It was noted above that the recommended oil does not have the LSD friction modifiers or words to that effect, if I'm not mistaken do STis of some models at least, not have LSD diffs? If the oil is shared then would that not cause problems for the front diff, if using the better option for the gearbox and vice versa?
Old 15-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Remember you can shift it quickly but if it is crunching cos you are smashing it through and or miss timing the clutch a little fresh oil wont help for long.

The redline will help for a bit if the shift is a bit notchy but will be back to how it is in 3 to 6 months. It is not a cure all for worn syncros but can hide it for a bit.

Tags
change, gearbox, oil