Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

VETTETOREX at standard level
Default Fuel pump not Priming. No start. FIXED YAY

I love being stranded unexpectedly by our automotive friends.

When I turn the key the fuel pump will not prime and no start.

I have done a fair amount of searching and here's where I am at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had no voltage when I checked for 12V on on the fuel pump harness when key is turned. Top right wire is correct I assume. (Black with red stripe)
So I'm ruling my fuel pump out at this stage.

I then tried to get to the relays under the dash. Quite a mission.

When I turn the key the blue one clicks and 12 volts relays through it and I have swapped relays over and they both work on the blue harness. So the relays themselves appear to be working fine. I'm assuming blue is the fuel pump relay. My searches led me to believe the MY00 fuel relay had a green harness and was mounted on top above a brown main relay and another silver round relay. (So I could be wrong - I just have these two mounted on side of the fuse panel))

There are so many wires in this car especially in this area and they are all strapped up and taped so I don't really want to pull it all apart tracing wires to see where they go. The wiring diagrams I have found don't appear to be relevant/accurate for my exact car (Built July 2000). I pulled the seat and assume the fuel pump power wire travels in here somewhere.

So, (again I'm assuming and could be totally wrong) my problem lies between this relay and the fuel pump harness. Possibly a fuel pump controller? I haven't been able to find this yet. (I ripped out the trim in the boot and looked down a little hole and couldn't see much.)

I hope it's not the stupid Brant. I'm ruling this out at this point because my check engine light is on (Its been in manual arming mode because previous owner pressed the 3 button too hard and it doesn't rarely work no matter how you press it and both my Master code and User code use this button.)
I've read about the dry solder problem but if the blue one is my fuel pump relay then that rules that out I hope.

Anyway I was hoping all you intelligent people could guide me and tell me what to look for, what to do next and what I'm doing wrong. If it helps I did notice a couple of weeks ago when I went to cold start the car the pump did not prime and then it did when i flipped the key again. I thought that is strange but nothing of it at the time.

Thanks for any help from a frustrated person - I am glad I wasn't in the middle of nowhere at the time.

PS: What is the Pink relay for and the single black wire plug that is in the drivers door kick panel that is unplugged. (I saw it mention in Giddyup's Alarm thread)

Last edited by VETTETOREX; 22-09-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Tags
fuel, priming, pump, start