Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

niak75 at standard level
Default Worn clutch pedal

heyas,

i have a MY08 WRX with a problem with the clutch. the pedal itself.

At first i thought it was just adjustment, but after taking it for a service i was told that the pedal itself was worn. Where the pin goes through the pedal is worn into a jellybean shape causing lots of play in the pedal. the engagement point is 1/2 way in now and it sticks after engaging where i have to put my foot behind it to bring it back up, very annoying to drive.

the guys at STechnic quoted me ~$300 for a pedal plus labour, but suggested that i take the car into the dealer for warranty. i met with Brad down at city subaru who initially told me it should be a warranty job.

after waiting for his call for 2 days then chasing him up, he has told me that the pedal isnt covered because its worn due to the clutch itself being worn and getting heavier then wearing the pedal itself. im not buying it. i said "that isnt good enough" he replied with "that is good enough" cheeky shit.

i spoke with subaru and they were going to call brad and discuss and call me back, havnt heard back from them yet.

not sure if this is worth pushing, i have read many threads on US sites about problems with the whole assembly breaking at the welds causing problems with the pedal, but not sure if that affects the RHD cars.

should i just get a aftermarket pedal and maybe clutch be done with it, what do you think ? the car has done 66600 kms
Old 23-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

I'd push the point of warranty. Dealers are always going to say things are void because they can charge more for work outside of a warranty claim.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

I believe that 66,000km is not a reasonable life expectancy from a clutch pedal. I would expect the pedal to last the life of the car. There's a limit to how much resources you waste trying to get them to do it I guess but I would expect a better explanation that that.

Last edited by dtrally; 23-06-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Warranty dude. It is common on welds on clutch cages to break and pedal pins to deform, But a 2008 vehicle with 66,000ks is just unforgiveable.

After that you should physically strengthen the assembly by putting some welds onto the cage itself to strengthen it.

Regards,
Mao

Quote:
Originally Posted by niak75 View Post
heyas,

i have a MY08 WRX with a problem with the clutch. the pedal itself.

At first i thought it was just adjustment, but after taking it for a service i was told that the pedal itself was worn. Where the pin goes through the pedal is worn into a jellybean shape causing lots of play in the pedal. the engagement point is 1/2 way in now and it sticks after engaging where i have to put my foot behind it to bring it back up, very annoying to drive.

the guys at STechnic quoted me ~$300 for a pedal plus labour, but suggested that i take the car into the dealer for warranty. i met with Brad down at city subaru who initially told me it should be a warranty job.

after waiting for his call for 2 days then chasing him up, he has told me that the pedal isnt covered because its worn due to the clutch itself being worn and getting heavier then wearing the pedal itself. im not buying it. i said "that isnt good enough" he replied with "that is good enough" cheeky shit.

i spoke with subaru and they were going to call brad and discuss and call me back, havnt heard back from them yet.

not sure if this is worth pushing, i have read many threads on US sites about problems with the whole assembly breaking at the welds causing problems with the pedal, but not sure if that affects the RHD cars.

should i just get a aftermarket pedal and maybe clutch be done with it, what do you think ? the car has done 66600 kms
Old 23-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Drive your vehicle through their front window.

When asked why "my foot slipped off the clutch pedal as it broke - the one you said was good enough"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

niak75 at standard level

haha

thanks guys, im not going to stop until i get it replaced under warranty.

i really like WRXs, this is my third and i have been seriously thinking about getting a MY11.
Old 23-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
Warranty dude. It is common on welds on clutch cages to break and pedal pins to deform, But a 2008 vehicle with 66,000ks is just unforgiveable.

After that you should physically strengthen the assembly by putting some welds onto the cage itself to strengthen it.

Regards,
Mao
I'm not getting into the whole warranty/ not warranty thing.
But if you modify it, you will definitely void warranty on that part.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 23-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Bring it in to us at SUbaru Wangara for a look if its not to far.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 23-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Drive your vehicle through their front window.

When asked why "my foot slipped off the clutch pedal as it broke - the one you said was good enough"

I really like this comment

Is it the pedal that is worn or the bushes? are the bushes available separately?

This is a really strange thing to happen. I have done a few sets of bushes in my life but it isnt a normal service item to say the least.

Id say there must have been something wrong from the factory.
Old 24-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Push the warranty as far as you can. You've paid for it, now they are just being annoying shits.

Move it higher through the Subaru chain if there is no simple resolution. Then pull the old ACA/TT ace card if needed.

A clutch pedal should not fail at all.

Tags
clutch, my08, pedal, worn