Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
5th - 2nd miss shift would do it - just saying.

Honestly have you ever tried to put a car into 2nd when your at speed in 5th?

You don't do that by accident. just saying.
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 15-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Big down shift wouldn't shred a belt. Would make it skip teeth and root the engine however yes. But he said the belt is shredded and there is rubber powder everywhere.

http://kap.industries/
Old 15-05-2014, 06:55 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Honestly have you ever tried to put a car into 2nd when your at speed in 5th?

You don't do that by accident. just saying.
It's easier than you might think.

Someone goes for to smash a big down shift and grabs the wrong gear by one gate........
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 15-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level

A 5th to 2nd change? I had my mother and father in law in the car.... Somehow I don't think she would appreciate to be headbutting the back of my chair on the way to a mothers day lunch!

The only reason I asked to have new main and big end bearings put in was because I work in heavy industry and I see this type of thing all the time where they blow a piston and all the bits of metal go down to the sump and into the bearings etc. Even after million $ rebuilds we would often find chunks of metal etc where the sump hadn't been cleaned out properly...

My question would be how could you be confident in a rebuild when you have 3 damaged pistons and cant find all the metal pieces? Its not like all 3 piston ring lands had smashed at one time and engine stopped.. The pistons had been like it for sometime...

I have all the old pistons/rods and bearings... I am happy to present them to a competent engine inspector if need be to assessed...

So i took it on my own accord to have a chat to a few people about the problems associated with an ej257...

It was recommended to me to at least get the crank re-oil phased and a new set of bearings. I went one step further and sourced a set of rods because I like to know that good parts have gone back into the build and it makes for a nice strong motor with the main aim in it being reliable. After speaking to consumer protection they used a word called "betterment" where they replace parts with a substitute that is better suited for the purpose... In this case they supplied MAHLE forged pistons... As the factory OEM pistons are renowned for blowing ring lands....

The reliability issue was raised a number of times with the tuner and I was more than confident with the tuner and workshop who performed it. I had been in conversation with the tuner/workshop whilst the other workshop was rebuilding the engine.

Put it this way... The workshop who rebuilt the engine had to ask me what the main cap bolts torque setting was.... I referred them to the tuner/workshop for information...

All of this aside... It has nothing to do with the timing belt shredding... the belt must of been on the way out for quiet some time judging by the amount of black fluffy stuff that fell out when the cam cover was removed on the side of the rd....
Old 15-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Quote:
It's easier than you might think.

Someone goes for to smash a big down shift and grabs the wrong gear by one gate........

Mate, Seriously....... Just stop.
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 15-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level

I should find out tomorrow morning whats going on... I had an email this afternoon from the guys inspecting it. I am on night shift so I try not to take calls during the day... Although already lose enough sleep over this bloody car!
Old 15-05-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Mate, Seriously....... Just stop.
Ha! like your opinion means anything to me.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 15-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level

Quote:
Russ the 'You play - You Pay' quip is because he has added rods, exhaust & another tune etc - which he paid for beyond the scope of the dealers agreed repair.

The dealership is entitled to say - "you had additional modifications carried out at your own cost - good bye" (I hope they don't - but they 'could')

Assuming I'm saying the failure is his fault is an extremely stupid thing to say Russ. Even for you.
I supplied parts for the bottom end rebuild.... I never paid for the bottom end to be rebuilt.... I simply supplied the parts to the work shop and they fitted them. I only supplied the parts because the workshop wanted to charge me a huge amount of $$$ for parts I could source from the tuner/workshop at half the price.

So technically I never payed for the services undertaken to rebuild the bottom end. But they had to pull the bottom end apart anyway to have the block machined for the new pistons.... hence I never paid... And like I said "how can you destroy 3 pistons in a block and be confident no metal shavings etc had made its way into the sump?" This was my argument from they day I had the pistons in my hand...
Old 15-05-2014, 07:40 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

You were arguing semantics Ross. Not the actual problem.

The belt was shredded, rubber everywhere. He had only just had it rebuilt. He didn't "pay to play" etc.

I hope it works out for you bailz!
Tony likes this.

http://kap.industries/
The Following User Says Thank You to RUSSGT For This Useful Post:
Tony (15-05-2014)
Old 15-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Good luck Bailz

Let us know what the cause was.

Tags
08, back in you hole rossco, belt, only if you present first rossco, shredded, sti, suck ma cock tony, timing