Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-06-2015, 10:11 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rslib72 at standard level

Mmmm bugger sounds like you have got those couple of things covered. The only thing trying to do the tk test as doug pointed out to me it is not the easiest thing do to after after a couple of boosted runs is not trying to burn yourself with coolant or him for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darken View Post
Hey Mark,

I've put a new STi cap on the filler bottle aswell as replaced the one on the radiator. Both genuine parts.
I guess my next thing I try is installing a new thermostat. The only thing is I'm not feeling too confident with this as the paperwork for the car shows that MMS replaced the thermostat in a major service done back in early 2014. I highly doubt the thermostat has failed in that time... But I'll give it a go anyway! Fingers crossed!!! I soo do not want to rip this engine out!

Cheers, Steve
Old 14-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darken View Post
I was looking into going Cosworth Gaskets and Head Studs. Id be keen to see a comparison on Gaskets. OEM gaskets versus Cosworth gaskets. To see why they are better.

Btw dazdavies. Why did you not go with the Cosworth headstuds?

The simple version is that the Cosworth ones have a folded layer in them between the gasket layers.
It means they have a little bit of give in them. A margin of error if you like. They will allow the heads to lift slightly before failing or rather more so than OEM gaskets.

I originally had Cosworth studs but wanted the peace of mind that the 14mm ones offer. They have a much higher clamping force over a bigger area.
I'm aiming to Run 30psi all the way to 8000 rpm so I will need all the extra strength I can get.

Last edited by dazdavies; 14-06-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:45 PM
STI Master

Darken at standard level

I'm looking forward to this. Not!!! Haha My mate has the kit to do the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rslib72 View Post
Mmmm bugger sounds like you have got those couple of things covered. The only thing trying to do the tk test as doug pointed out to me it is not the easiest thing do to after after a couple of boosted runs is not trying to burn yourself with coolant or him for that matter.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:51 PM
STI Master

Darken at standard level

The Cosworth gaskets sound good by your description Daz. See~ing as Im not power hunting the Cosworth studs should be enough for my setup aswell. Reliabilty is what I want without having to open the new 2.5 Short Motor up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
The simple version is that the Cosworth ones have a folded layer in them between the gasket layers.
It means they have a little bit of give in them. A margin of error if you like. They will allow the heads to lift slightly before failing or rather more so than OEM gaskets.

I originally had Cosworth studs but wanted the peace of mind that the 14mm ones offer. They have a much higher clamping force over a bigger area.
I'm aiming to Run 30psi all the way to 8000 rpm so I will need all the extra strength I can get.
Old 14-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Sir AntiLag

I think the Cosworth studs are fine for 99% of applications.

I know a couple of cars running them that are circa 800 bhp although they are on 2.35L (stroked EJ22T).

I went for 14mm studs because I simply had the opportunity to do so. You'll have no issue running Cosworth or ARP 625s 11m studs and Cosworth gaskets.

Last edited by dazdavies; 14-06-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 15-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Hang on, weren't you the one suggesting cosworth were horrible to deal with and not worth the time??

If you need a head gasket, genuine STi MLS. Anything else is just wank.
matto20v likes this.
Old 15-06-2015, 01:23 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

ARP 625's AGAIN............

Great way to waste $800 in an application that does not warrant them.

I must have missed all the lifted head threads where people were using ARP 2000's?
I only know of 1 motor that actually lifted it's heads - and that was Tino's monster!

Head studs won't fix bore resonance - I'd be pinning the top of the 2.5's bores before throwing Primo Guucci head studs at it.

BTW I do rate the 625's - I just fitted a set to an RB26 that makes 950hp, they are just complete wank on mild builds.
matto20v likes this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 15-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
I must have missed all the lifted head threads where people were using ARP 2000's?
I only know of 1 motor that actually lifted it's heads - and that was Tino's monster!

Make that 2...my old '06 STI lifted its head (and it was only 216 KW ATW)...rebuild was done with ARP studs (and STI head gaskets) and the car was fine for at least 3 years after....
Darken's sounds like exactly what mine did...after the initial issue there was no overheating etc....pulling the engine down will also allow a ringland check...
Old 15-06-2015, 09:26 AM
STI Master

Darken at standard level

Spot on Nauli. My STi came with receipts for a build back in 2011. Brand new STi short motor installed. It's lasted roughly 3 years and has only done about 75kms since then. The work was carried out at Subaru Wangara. This build included OEM head gaskets and ARP studs. Not long after that the car spent time on the Dyno at Maximum Motorsport. Hence why I think I should go down the Cosworth route. This may prove to be a safer/stronger option with the Cosworth Head Gaskets and Studs. I'm just going by readings/findings.

Now with what you have just said Nauli. It just just reinforces me to try a different option from OEM head gaskets and ARP studs. Btw what ARP studs did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Make that 2...my old '06 STI lifted its head (and it was only 216 KW ATW)...rebuild was done with ARP studs (and STI head gaskets) and the car was fine for at least 3 years after....
Darken's sounds like exactly what mine did...after the initial issue there was no overheating etc....pulling the engine down will also allow a ringland check...

Last edited by Darken; 15-06-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 15-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
Hang on, weren't you the one suggesting cosworth were horrible to deal with and not worth the time??

If you need a head gasket, genuine STi MLS. Anything else is just wank.
I said Cosworth themselves were horrible to deal with not that their stuff is shite but as far as head gaskets go I would only use them, Tomei or RCM ones.

Tags
2006, bottle, coolant, forcing, overflow, sti