Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Bram,

Sounds like you had a bad experience with work done, I'd have payed more attention to the slotting of holes as this can mean there is existing damage, panels weren't fitted correctly, or at the extreme end they quoted genuine parts but fitted aftermarket; slotted holes in extreme cases can lead to alignment and tracking issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Panel beaters are panel beaters because they lack the frontal cortex capacity to be a higher echelon motor trade. Its expected that they will forget things or bodge stuff. And they are under tight financial pressure from the insurance companys to meet the quotes.

I quoted this as it would be fair to state that your 'frontal cortex capacity', would be lower, as you can't seem to comprehend that a bad experience doesn't equate to an entire industry?

There are people with 'interesting work practices', in all areas.

The skill of the repairer plays a big part in the end result and unfortunately repair work is becoming a thing of the past as the industry moves towards replacement.

The fact that the majority of insurance assessors now just undertake a course rather then having prior real world experience, coupled with the fact that they can receive bonuses for reducing a quote also causes large frustrations with those whom have to deal with them.

Inefficient quoting practices 'which comes back to skill', also competing for work, plays a big part in the end result as some are reluctant to go back to insurance companies with adjustments, or fear losing the insurance company as a client.

It is strongly recommended that you review any work you get done regardless of type, and push for all rectifications to be made free of charge even if that includes having the rework done elsewhere.

P.S:

You will also find in a lot of cases that the mechanical component is sublet thus having nothing to do with the panel beater other than the initial placement.
astralex likes this.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Bram,

Sounds like you had a bad experience with work done, I'd have payed more attention to the slotting of holes as this can mean there is existing damage, panels weren't fitted correctly, or at the extreme end they quoted genuine parts but fitted aftermarket; slotted holes in extreme cases can lead to alignment and tracking issues.
Im not too fussed about it. Im talking about the front quarters where they meet up with the headlight / radiator support panels etc. Im confident the car is straight. I think it was just a bit easier for them to slot, than align. The quarters werent even replaced, neither was the bonnet. The only structural bits done were the bits that link the bumper crash bar to the car. All other parts were actually supplied by me. As i was stockpiling a full SG STi conversion. I supplied the bumper, crash bar, headlights, grille etc, in exchange for zero excess and my entire conversion being painted. I believe the car body drives straight etc as all the important stuff is from the engine crossmember back. Everything forward of there is kinda cosmetic.

Quote:

I quoted this as it would be fair to state that your 'frontal cortex capacity', would be lower, as you can't seem to comprehend that a bad experience doesn't equate to an entire industry?

There are people with 'interesting work practices', in all areas.

The skill of the repairer plays a big part in the end result and unfortunately repair work is becoming a thing of the past as the industry moves towards replacement.
Cut alittle close to home did i? My comments arent just based on that one experience with that one panel shop. Im actually an auto sparky and have done alot of work for a couple of different panel shops. I did basically all the AC and complex electrical repairs through my old job over about 6 yrs. (Sub contracted) i got to deal with not just the assessors, but also the floor staff. And this is why i made that comment. Its also why i highly suggest checking anything a panel shop does to your car. I saw a while manner of different bodges over the years. And interacted with a whole bunch of frontal cortex challenged individuals. From the plebs washing the car, the painters who unfortuantly may have inhaled a bit too much, and the toothless apes who bolted stuff together. This was only thru a few shops, and not an entire industry, but ive seen enough to stand by my comments.

Quote:

The fact that the majority of insurance assessors now just undertake a course rather then having prior real world experience, coupled with the fact that they can receive bonuses for reducing a quote also causes large frustrations with those whom have to deal with them.

Inefficient quoting practices 'which comes back to skill', also competing for work, plays a big part in the end result as some are reluctant to go back to insurance companies with adjustments, or fear losing the insurance company as a client.

It is strongly recommended that you review any work you get done regardless of type, and push for all rectifications to be made free of charge even if that includes having the rework done elsewhere.
This is true.
Quote:

P.S:

You will also find in a lot of cases that the mechanical component is sublet thus having nothing to do with the panel beater other than the initial placement.
[/QUOTE]
This is also true. But in my cars case, im certain it was all handled in house bar a wheel alignment check after.
[QUOTE]
Old 03-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

My friend in a very short period of time you've most definitely proved how vastly superior your 'frontal cortex capacity', is.
astralex likes this.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

^hehe

Good luck with the repairs Shaun, I reckon you would be mad not to do a mild forging of the motor while it's out.

You have all the other supporting mods to go with a built motor already.

Last edited by nick73; 03-02-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
My friend in a very short period of time you've most definitely proved how vastly superior your 'frontal cortex capacity', is.
Well it sounds like you have a clitorial hard-on for panel beaters.

Before you reply. Would you like me to send you a box of tampons? Might help you work through that tension your experiencing. Whats your size. Maxi or super fucking maxi?

Last edited by Bram; 04-02-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

shaunus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
^hehe

Good luck with the repairs Shaun, I reckon you would be mad not to do a mild forging of the motor while it's out.

You have all the other supporting mods to go with a built motor already.
I know in the long run it may be a case of "why didn't I just do it then and there" however,

Got two shops doing up quotes for me atm. As I think I said earlier (can't remember and cbf checking), one wants to go forged considering the mods I have and the other wants to use a new oem short block, have the heads done with the addition of upgraded head studs and few other bits and pieces oh and a re-tune!

Either way, I know what I'll be left with will satisfy my needs for now. As much as I would love the idea of having a forged bottom end I just don't think I need it for what I use the car for.

The hardest part is going to be tomorrow when I submit the quote to the RAC assessor and when the guy who did the first quote and who is holding my car realises there's no $$$ in it for him....awkward haha!

The support and wealth of knowledge provided by both Perth shops I have been speaking with has truly been extraordinary. There's no confusion, no unanswered questions and no BS!

Now, all I need to do is prove to the RAC that it is essential for the car to be transferred to and from Perth in order to have the job done to the highest level of quality, thoroughness and to ensure it has some sort of warranty!

He didn't seem to keen about footing the bill for it but fuck it, I don't want any corners cut and both the Perth workshops have stated they are not comfortable building the motor and having someone else install it. For 12k I want the best bang for buck and that means the car needs to be put on a truck and transported to Perth, I know I wont be happy any other way.

Thoughts?

Keep applying pressure?

I think in the end I will just have ........... contact them and he can have a chat with the assessor to clear any confusion.

Wish me luck.
Insome and nick73 like this.

Last edited by shaunus; 03-02-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

You know what you use the car for so build it to suit your needs.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Get the fuckheads to do a cash settlement and do what you can with that.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

shaunus at standard level

You reckon that's the way to go? My only concern with that is if they discover more things that are fucked...It is thoroughly tempting though.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

No more of a risk than letting engine exchange do a swap. Fuck that.
You might end up needing to put some money towards it, but you will have far greater peace of mind. RAC may not entertain it, but it may be the easiest solution for them in the end if you're going to put pressure on them to do it properly. It gives them a chance to wipe their hands of it quickly, and keep you happy.

Tags
hydrolocked