Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree193Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

No Friday might be a pain......but here goes:

Fingers crossed your gym has a power rack and an olympic bar? It will make life easier if they do.

2 basic workouts A + B

Workout A
Squats 5x5
Bench press 5x5
Barbell rows 5x5

Workout B
Squats 5x5
Overhead press 5x5
Deadlifts 1x5

Week 1
Mon - workout A
Wed - workout B
Fri - Workout A

Week 2
Mon - workout B
Wed - workout A
Fri - workout B

And so on alternating each workout. Do the exercises in order (ie always start with squats). And do it with free weights, don't use Smith machines

Do 2 warm-up "sets" before launching into your 5 working sets. If you are squatting 90kg, do a set of 5 reps with an empty bar (olympic bars are ~ 22kg), then a set of 3 reps at about half your working weight, then 5 sets of 5 at 90kg.

Now the hard part - start out with an empty bar. Empty olympic bar is 45lb, and you will look silly, but if you add 5lb (2.5kg) per workout you will be over 200lb by the end of week 12.

WEEK 1

Monday
Squat 5x5 45lbs
Bench Press 5x5 45lbs
Barbell Rows 5x5 65lbs (add some plates as it is difficult to "row" and empty bar)

Wednesday
Squat 5x5 50lbs
Overhead Press 5x5 45lbs
Deadlift 1x5 95lbs

Friday
Squat 5x5 60lbs
Bench Press 5x5 55lbs
Barbell Rows 5x5 70lbs

WEEK 2

Monday
Squat 5x5 60lbs
Overhead Press 5x5 50lbs
Deadlift 1x5 105lbs

Wednesday
Squat 5x5 65lbs
Bench Press 5x5 55lbs
Barbell Rows 5x5 75lbs

Friday
Squat 5x5 70lbs
Overhead Press 5x5 55lbs
Deadlift 1x5 115lbs

Because you are doing deadlifts less and less often, add 10lb per workout until it gets challenging and drop it to 5lb additions. Ideally you keep going adding more and more weight, but there will come a time when you cant complete 5 x 5 of an exercise. If that happens, stay at that weight - dont lower the weight to complete it! If you fail to complete 5 sets of 5 at that weight for an exercise (ie bench) 3 workouts in a row, then drop 10% of the weight and start climbing back up 5lb per workout again - deloading should help you get through the barrier.

And that is about it really. Clean diet and you'll be good to go.

Once you deload on an exercise twice (ie bench press), it will be time to change up your routine to a 3 x 5 for that exercise and contiune adding 5 lb per workout again. Deload twice on 3 x 5 and drop back to 1 x 5 for that exercise. But keep up the 5 x 5 on exercises that you are completing - it will mean higher volume on some exercises, lower volume on others.

A year or so of that and you'll be well strong and you can do isolation weights on the show muscles or further power lifting training - up to you. But there is no point doing a whole lot of finesse weights (ie isolation exercises) unless you lay the foundations first.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

blackwrxwagon at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
Over. Training.
Yeah? I'll probably see you sometime this week but any advise?
#26 E series HSV senator - bunky
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
I just got my self a Nike+ sensor to stick under my shoelaces when I go running. It wirelessly links to my iPhone to track my runs then feeds the info to the computer/ Nike+ website to chart progress. I reckon it's a great idea because every other time I've tried to take up running I give up too quickly because I feel like I'm not making any progress/getting any fitter. Hopefully having a record of progress will help me stay on track.

Anyway, is there anyone else on here that uses the Nike+ sensor (or has some Nike+ trainers) and use the website?
Sounds good, I would buy one if I ran outdoors like you, but I'm do most of my cardio on the cross trainer and bike at the gym as I have shin splints. Although my shin splints are improving as I'm loosing weight so I may do some more running in the future.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Sir AntiLag

bird at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrxwagon View Post
fitness routine
I asked a mate to give some advice. This was his response:

"oh fuck this is fucked where do i start (lucky im bored haha)

well firstly his split is absolutly fucked. i do:
day 1: upper body pushes (chest, shoulders, tris)
day 2: upper body pulls (back and bis)
day 3: lower body and abs
day 4: cardio

this works well because it ensures you hit your target areas hard because your hitting them with a lot of volume. for examply when doing a shoulder press on day 1 not only are u working your shoulders but also your upper chest and triceps. incline press does not only chest but also a bit of shoulders etc etc etc

your not getting the most out of your routine training shoulders and chest on consecutive days because the vast majority of chest exercises also involve a lot of shoulder engagement. hes gonna snap his shit up cos if you look hes doing monday to thursday training shoulders in some form.
basically the result is his shoulders dont get enough time to recover and he wont be able to go as heavy and hard while training his chest/back.

secondly he is giving way to much attention to biceps. if you look he is doing the same amount of sets on chest as he is on biceps! the bigger the muscle the more volume and intensity it needs to get stronger and therefore bigger.

thirdly there needs to be more compound movements (ones that involve many mucles working togethor.) chest espically, flys and crossovers do jackshit when compared to bench press and incline press. islolation movements although burn like crazy dont put your muscles under enough stress to add some real mass. limit isolation movements to 3 sets a workout and focus on adding numbers to the basic presses, rows and squats. if u think this makes you "bulky" ur wrong. to get to "meathead" size takes years and years of work. a year or two of heavy compound movements gets you bigger and is also the best way of decreasing bf % (due to the huge calorie expenditure)

forthly is rep ranges. ur muscles will respond best when they are attacked in varying ways. i recommend going heavy (6 to 10 reps) on the compound lifts and then increasing the reps on the isloation lifts (12 to 15 reps)"
Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwrxwagon View Post
Yeah? I'll probably see you sometime this week but any advise?
Come in on Sat 10? and we'll go from there.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

blackwrxwagon at standard level

Yeah sounds good - see you then
#26 E series HSV senator - bunky
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Done
Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 PM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level

There is a lot of good advice here so I'm going to zone in on one thing everyone has missed that has worked for me and people who have trained with me, for Triceps - SKULLCRUSHERS! Fuck me they grow your tri's.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

Check out Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 workout too - I've found it pretty good for strength and size gains. It has a good focus on compound exercises and increasing weights as you go along.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

matthews at standard level

I use to use the Nike+. Works good until you go too long and the phone over heats and plays up. Had many runs that i lost all the running details because the phone stuffed up.
I have just bought a Garmin 310. Good for multi sports as I am training for the busso 70.3 triathlon. It tracks both my bike rides and my runs. since I have this I don't take my phone every time and enjoy the peace and quiet on my runs with out the music all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
I just got my self a Nike+ sensor to stick under my shoelaces when I go running. It wirelessly links to my iPhone to track my runs then feeds the info to the computer/ Nike+ website to chart progress. I reckon it's a great idea because every other time I've tried to take up running I give up too quickly because I feel like I'm not making any progress/getting any fitter. Hopefully having a record of progress will help me stay on track.

Anyway, is there anyone else on here that uses the Nike+ sensor (or has some Nike+ trainers) and use the website?

Tags
do you even lift? srsly, fitness, health, wellbeing