Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 05:47 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level
Default Tools

I am feeling a bit like a girl right now. went to use a screwdriver, and I dont have one. Had a look around, and sure enough, there is only one tool in my house.. Guesses

So, its time to become a real man, and get some tools. What is a man without a tool box... Had a look around, seems to be a fair bit of difference in prices.

Had a look at a 180 piece Sidchrome kit for ~ $1200
A no name 180 piece kit in Kmart for $50!

Obviously you get what you pay for, and there is a lot of differences in the actual pieces you get. But for someone that uses a spanner once every couple of months, is it really necesarry to have a top of the range tool??

Will a 50c spanner actually break? Is there such bad designs that are just a pain in the arse to use? Also, in a lot of kits, they come with a spanner, socket and adjustable wrench. Is there often cases where only a socket can be used and not a spanner or vice versa? and if you have all sizes of sockets, do you really need an adjustable wrench?

Im basically trying to start a collecting mainly for working on the car, (hopefully getting a project car soon) and a bit of handyman and woodwork.
Old 25-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

If you can afford the better tools, get them. Or if you use a certain tool a lot, it is worthwhile spending the bit extra.

In saying that, I love the cheap ass tools that you can buy these days. For once off's or jobs for a price that replacing the tool 20 times is still cheaper than buying the brand name set, I love em.
Old 25-08-2008, 06:06 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

trusti rex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbag
I am feeling a bit like a girl right now. went to use a screwdriver, and I dont have one. Had a look around, and sure enough, there is only one tool in my house.. Guesses

So, its time to become a real man, and get some tools. What is a man without a tool box... Had a look around, seems to be a fair bit of difference in prices.

Had a look at a 180 piece Sidchrome kit for ~ $1200
A no name 180 piece kit in Kmart for $50!

Obviously you get what you pay for, and there is a lot of differences in the actual pieces you get. But for someone that uses a spanner once every couple of months, is it really necesarry to have a top of the range tool??

Will a 50c spanner actually break? Is there such bad designs that are just a pain in the arse to use? Also, in a lot of kits, they come with a spanner, socket and adjustable wrench. Is there often cases where only a socket can be used and not a spanner or vice versa? and if you have all sizes of sockets, do you really need an adjustable wrench?

Im basically trying to start a collecting mainly for working on the car, (hopefully getting a project car soon) and a bit of handyman and woodwork.
if you're gonna start collecting for a project car i'd be looking at least at mid range tools (imo repco's alright, kincrome etc) not really that much more $$. f@#kin hate cheap ass adjustable wrenches that only ever strip the nuts causing bigger problems. and you'll find those kmart spanners will actually flex when you're trying to undo really tight shit = useless
Old 25-08-2008, 06:07 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbag
Had a look around, and sure enough, there is only one tool in my house.. Guesses

is it you?
Old 25-08-2008, 06:13 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

Not too much of a fan of adjustable wrenches at all, rather have the right sized spanner to ensure you dont strip nuts. Housemate just mentioned there are occasionally nuts that are neither metric or imperial?? sounds like B.S. to me.

I am very OCD, so I want a kit that comes with the box, and a place for everything in there. Don't like it when it's just a drawer full of crap. has to be neat tidy.
Old 25-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

You do indeed get what you pay for, but having said that there is no need to go top of the line. And with some things its ok to go cheap cheap, if it will do the job.

Things i definately wouldnt go cheap on are socket sets and spanners. A lot of decent brands will have a lifetime warranty, so even if you do manage to break sockets, they can get replaced.

Like Trusti Rex said, cheap spanners will flex and or break. I have a Repco Socket set, which comes with a lifetime warranty. Its 1/4 inch drive set, which is probably a bit small for working on the car, but it has metric and imperial, and they are strong. I havent broken them yet, and i have gone to town on some of the sockets.

Cheap sets may not be the correct size, so thats why your roomy might think there are sizes inbetween metric and imperial

Last edited by Alternate; 25-08-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 25-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

I bought a set of Sontax Spanners from Bunnings just for my turbo swap. Anyone whos done a turbo swap knows that the dump pipe and up-pipe bolts are FARKING tight and very easy to round off. The $36 Sontax Spanner Kit did the job perfect. Didn't round off a single nut.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:36 PM
STI Master

Cooper89 at standard level

I have a basic set from Bunnings and its fine, and yes, i broke a spanner trying to get the alternator off the brumby, it was a cheap shitty 12$ set..
Old 25-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

my hubby doesnt bring me flowers...he brings me tools i love it! a girl u aint cheapy set ok as long as ur happy to replace it often but if you wanna have them forever its worth spending the $$

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

werticusness is unrated

im a second cheapest tool person myself :P

having said that i do have a niceish socket set and screw driver set, but every one off tool i have is second cheapest :P

Tags
tools