Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-2009, 12:30 PM
STI Master

Bakks at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99
Personally, I think going down the apprenticeship path is a good one. I dont have any contacts or info on where you could start, but i do know, that pretty much no matter how "tough" times get, there's always going to be a need for trades people.
How on earth do you figure that?

When times are tough, are people going to build new houses, renovate their current houses, are companies such as mining companies going to build massive infrastructure projects? Of course not. Watch those with trades start to go back to more realstic incomes over the coming couple of years.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakks
How on earth do you figure that?

When times are tough, are people going to build new houses, renovate their current houses, are companies such as mining companies going to build massive infrastructure projects? Of course not. Watch those with trades start to go back to more realstic incomes over the coming couple of years.

WTF do you mean "How on earth do you figure that?"

There will always be a need for tradespeople. I said nothing about "mining companies going to build massive infrastructure projects".
Tradies may not be in quite as high demands in the coming few years as they have been recently, and in turn, may not bring in the kind of money they have been, but there will ALWAYS be a need for them.

I dont know what industry you're in mate, or what your background is to give you the impression that all construction and infrastructure is going to slow to the extent you're suggesting, but as far as the industry that I'm in is concerned, skilled trades are in very high demand.
Old 14-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

I agree with you 100%, there will always be a need for tradesmen, and i know in my work we still have heaps of work, just mayby the people who were earning loads of $$ will be down to a normal income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99
WTF do you mean "How on earth do you figure that?"

There will always be a need for tradespeople. I said nothing about "mining companies going to build massive infrastructure projects".
Tradies may not be in quite as high demands in the coming few years as they have been recently, and in turn, may not bring in the kind of money they have been, but there will ALWAYS be a need for them.

I dont know what industry you're in mate, or what your background is to give you the impression that all construction and infrastructure is going to slow to the extent you're suggesting, but as far as the industry that I'm in is concerned, skilled trades are in very high demand.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:31 PM
STI Master

Wrexter at standard level

All i can say is the past 5 years i have spent on my mechanical engineering degree has paid off. it was fucking hard, it was the harder option, but i knew if i put in the hard work now, i can enjoy a better future.

1 year left now and i can tell you the time almost flew by (seems like it anyways).

if engineering is not your game, have you thought about drafting? there shit loads of drafties on here (including myself). Good money and doesnt take too long to learn, maybe a year or 2 at tafe depending on wether your part time or full time.
Old 14-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Flat Four Father

SPEC IV at standard level

become a teacher, great holidays (13 wks/yr paid), always a shortage, constant pay increases.
Old 14-01-2009, 09:20 PM
STI Master

phatskinz at standard level
Send a message via MSN to phatskinz

Doesn't the children stress you at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEC IV
become a teacher, great holidays (13 wks/yr paid), always a shortage, constant pay increases.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

Jim621 at standard level

Drafting looks like a great job (im an engineer)
decent pay, with an office job, and you arent tied down to one field of work. eg, if the iron ore industry crashes for example, you could move over to drafting for buildings, or boats, or oil platforms, or cars....etc etc.

although wouldnt be your thing if you dont like getting told what to do.

Steve.

Steve.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:04 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Remnant at standard level

Drafting does sound nice, im ringing my local tafe atm. Going to ask about courses if theyr still available, etc.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:15 PM
STI Master

Wrexter at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant
Drafting does sound nice, im ringing my local tafe atm. Going to ask about courses if theyr still available, etc.
i went to subi tafe, courses should be available still, starts same time when the kids go back to school

or even look online for trainee draftsmen jobs...you never know!
Old 14-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

I'm in design drafting - looked at doing engineering, but found the drafting side more interesting. Already had a degree in another field so only needed to do a year at TAFE to get my diploma in engineering.

The pay is WAAAAY more than what you're earning now (I'm in mining) - BUT the industry has gone to shit atm with the credit crunch. No chance of getting work atm, but a good time to at least go and get your qualifications and then be ready to start when this shit blows over.

Cheers
Zombee

Tags
career, change