Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff
Default Chrysler gets free money, thanks america

Chrysler got some Gov't bailout money, and decided to spend it on an advert thanking americans for the money they didn't want to give. the original blog post has disapeered but luckily google cached it. check the responses.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...hs=rsM&strip=1

Old 23-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

All I'll say...... Chrysler was milked for all it was worth by Merc Benz, then sold to a business conglomeret (Cerebrus) who wanted to save the american brand icons (MOPAR, Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge). The mess they were left with after the split with MB was nuts.....MB inflating parts costs to CJD for MB engines & trans that were implimented by them into current models during their tenure of the business hasn't helped, along with slow supply of parts from MB to CJD (KJ Cherokee Turbo diesel oil filters for example were unavailable anywhere in the world for 6 months last year!!) which was crippling.

At least Chrysler Aus isn't axing local jobs.....

I see GM US have halted the export of Pontiac G8's from Aus at the loss of Aussie jobs @ GM H.

The Automotive industry is in a lose lose situation......All manufacturers have scaled down or halted production of vehicles.....the knock-on effect is huge, component suppliers are going bust all over the world, resellers are going broke, sales people being laid off....It's not a good situation in general.

The US bail out has saved millions of american and foreign jobs. How would GMH handle having their supply of US built & supplied engines, trans, rear axles fall apart ?

Same for Ford Aus in regard to transmissions and suspension componentry......

Ford Aus and GMH would both be fugged. I'm glad they bailed out Ford & Holden for the sake of our local jobs.

Think about it!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 23-01-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 23-01-2009, 09:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

no one has yet convinced me that the big 3 failing is a bad idea.

Jobs will be lost in the short term, but i have no sympathy for corporations who don't sell marketable cars nor parts suppliers who put all their eggs in one basket.

Its much like retires who a losing in the latest stocks crashes. no sympathy. if all you money is stocks you are either do not have a financial adviser or have a really bad one.
Old 23-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kiwi
no one has yet convinced me that the big 3 failing is a bad idea.

Jobs will be lost in the short term, but i have no sympathy for corporations who don't sell marketable cars nor parts suppliers who put all their eggs in one basket.

Its much like retires who a losing in the latest stocks crashes. no sympathy. if all you money is stocks you are either do not have a financial adviser or have a really bad one.
Missing the big picture ?

Tree works like this:

As an educated guess (being a parts interpreter in automotive for 16 years), I would say there is about 1,700 - 2,200 parts in the average vehicle.

For each part there is a company supplying each specific part to the manufacturer.

Lets use a generic Holden as an example.

Bosch (world wide multiple divisions): alternator, starter, engine management sensors, body control electronics, fan speed resistor, all relays, globes etc
Ac Delco (parent company for 2500+ part manufacturers): ECU, coil pack, trans control module, map sensor etc, fuel pump, injectors, battery, radiator, condenser, a/c evaporator, a/c blower motor.

GM Transmission div (US based): Auto trans assembly (using multiple part suppliers) and supplying 50% of auto trans world wide to manufacturers world wide (even Bentley!).

SKF bearings: various engine/driveline bearings
NTN bearings: various engine/driveline bearings

Just to name a few off the top of my head.......

This all filters down to the raw material suppliers be it for steel, alumina, rubber or silicone etc.......

The knock on effect of the top of the food chain (holden in this example) falling by the way side is huge if you take into account we export Iron Ore, Alumina, Nickel, lead, gold etc world wide and that we all know of someone who is in mining or mining's supporting infrastucture....

I hope there's not too many more 'safety' meetings (how ravensthorpe immidiate closure was anounced to staff on shift!!) being planned for mine sites in W.a

If those top three were to fail we'd be fucked plain and simple.

But they're not the only ones to be feeling it........Honda & toyota out of F1? just a rumour?
WRC farce?
Asian raw exports from Aus being halved?.. already happening people!

C'mon people the world economy is slowing not just the US!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 23-01-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 24-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Oh boohoohoo...

Why only bail out the car industry? There are lots and lots of other sectors that provide more employment than them.

Perhaps if some of the companies folded, it would allow other companies to prosper and take their place... Meaning all the suppliers would still have someone to supply.

It's business, if you can't make money why should everyone else prop you up?
Old 24-01-2009, 11:53 AM

yeah...because I really, really want to drive a CHINESE car hey!

Which industries employ more people Kato?

Personally I'm doing fine, my job is safe, but I do feel for the other people out there with an uncertain future (miners etc).

Seems people aren't very well informed as to why these things are happening and who is going to suffer.

I guess time will tell.

I suppose the boom in debt collection will employ a few more people...

Hey at least I'll be able to buy a cheap house soon!

Last edited by Rossco; 24-01-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 24-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Elrico at standard level

Well you drive a Japanese car, its only 1200kms between the countries lol!

and woo to the cheap house situation. Get my $21,000 first home buyers and turn her into an investment prop after the 6months or year. Too easy.

As for what Kato is saying, there are alot of uncertain people in regards to jobs. I dont see why 1 part of the worlds industry gets relief funds when others dont. I mean farmers were a big issue a while back, where did that concern go? The Americans were subsidising their wheat farmers so they could sell it cheaper then the Australian ones which caused chaos to try and export to the middle eastern parts fo the world.
Old 24-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Burnout!

^^ WHS

Blanket help to all industries. Certain car manufacturers are in too much debt, well thats bad business strategy imo.

If a property developer cried foul because all the housing/land values are dropping, would the government give assistance then?

But anyway, this is all about crazy American companies...
Old 24-01-2009, 02:04 PM

Actually Australian farmers got 0% interest loans to assist along with drought relief packages.
Old 24-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Burnout!

Well farms are a primary producer, without food we all starve... Not a good situation to be in.

Cars are a luxury item. If Chrysler folds, people will buy another brand (same for any other brands). Should our government give big $$$ to BHP to keep Ravensthorpe open? All that means is more debt for our country and higher taxes. And given Krudd has already spent all our savings, doesn't leave us in a good position in a few years.

The economy is changing, but its not possible to bailout everyone. So why bailout select companies? Maybe the whole world needs a good kick in the ass to correct itself.

Tags
america, chrysler, money