Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM
STI Master

evlgurl at standard level
Send a message via MSN to evlgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDmoke View Post
The arrogance of the V8 Stuporcars, scheduling it for the same weekend as Albany Round the Houses.

When push came to shove, most of the true motoring fans (including officials) were going to to head South. Hell, I've had my Albany accomodation booked since last year.
Agreed, we head to Albany instead of this anyway.

But it is crap to see. I think everyone else's rant really somes things up. It is discusting to see all these huge publicity events being pulled. WA is very behind.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

I say apathy is the problem in WA, always has been and will be I believe. We allow ourselves to be ruled and governed by apathetic panic merchants who are largely unqualified to work and make decisions in the private sector.

Its really no wonder that private enterprises and business chose not participate in WA as the costs are high and the returns very poor. Investing in motorsport activities is historically not a profitable venture in WA or even the rest of Australia I suggest, example Indy cars couldn't make a go of it in Queensland so they pulled out. Do I get excited watching two manufacturers compete for the V8 Supercar crown, meh not really.

Yes its a pity we have lost yet another motorsport event in WA but I doubt very seriously it will even cause a stir up at Parliment House when they do eventually go back to work after their extended recess. Governments here do not care the least about motorsports but suggest to the treasury that they will miss out on revenue from the sale and registration of new and used vehicles and see how quickly they move!

Last edited by American Dave; 09-02-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Biggest problem is revenue to WASCC. V8s brought in a lot of money to the club that allowed them to run club events for the rest of the year and maintain the track.

So not only will the Ford and Holden fans suffer, but long term the track and all its users will suffer as well.

It is a pretty boring track (both from a spectator and competitor point of view) but its the only real one we have.

Now we just need to wait for the drifters and trucks to slowly destroy the surface. Nothing against either of these motorsports but just stating a fact. Trucks breakup the edges with the weight and drifters make the surface slippery (this is why times have gone backwards since the resurface).
Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Would love to see how emo the ford and holden forums are getting!

http://kap.industries/
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafury View Post
yep i agree.
you watch targa west will be next.
Targa West is a bit different in that it is not sponsored by the govt. It is sponsored by the entrants and their $7k entry fee.

However, for those that have not been following it chittering shire have pulled out which means they are down to between 160 - 180 competitive k's. This is simply not enough for a 3 day event. I dont think the eastern states people are going to come all the way over here for that sort of event when you can go and do targa wrest point on infinitely better roads for about $3k with more competitive k's.

So if we are really only going to get locals playing targa west I think it is going to die a slow and painful death.

Also on a political front there is cams and aasa that offer insurance for these events. It is a bit like VHS v Beta. Basically the east coast has sided with aasa and targa west continues with cams. With the exception of a new gtr or porka you can not have a cams compliant car that will keep up with aasa and if you have a aasa car it will not be cams compliant. With aasa things like intercoolers are free, you can run a big exhaust, bigger wheels and brakes, remove metal from the heads etc. I believe for targa west to be re invigorated it needs to change to aasa rules, drastically drop the entry fee, and find some more roads....somewhere....

my 2c. Anyways back on topic.

V8's @ barbagallos suck. None of the teams want to come and the drivers get frustrated cause they cant pass.

Brendon
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

Someone should tell mr barnett that if we have the v8s they could revenue raise, sorry "make roads safer" near the track and get their 5mil back hahaha
Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Sir AntiLag

cowboydave at standard level

It's not really the govt's fault, more to do with the wascc's incompetence. V8's have repeately ask for information that the wascc was not forthcoming with. You can only miss so many deadlines before someone breaks.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Barbs really is a sub-standard facility - the pits/paddock is a joke and the spectator facilities & safety is very ordinary.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Sir AntiLag

silver_opal at standard level

A sad loss for WA yet again. I grew up on V8's, rally and speedway.
Hmm, at least we got the Red Bull air race... (Yep, went to it). Would have prefered rally though. Jmo.
Yay to Motorplex!

P.S. Aren't we supposed to be paying to watch sport on tv in the near future or did they change their minds about that??

Last edited by silver_opal; 09-02-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

the kiwi at standard level

so we have sub-par;

motor racing facilities
football stadium,
soccer stadium,
rugby stadium,
hockey stadium,

so whats above par?

Yet we have to gallop tracks.
Also, has the gallops solved the draining issue in winter? could that land be reused for a stadium?

Tags
loses, round, v8, wa