Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzamcbezza View Post

Q. How does the National Measurement Act 1960 (Cwth) help to fight a speeding offence in Victoria?

It does not provide any help at all. This legislation ("NMA") has absolutely no impact whatsoever on the detection or prosecution of speeding offences in Victoria. Over the past 30 years numerous courts have held that evidence obtained from speed measuring devices is admissible as evidence in court despite the National Measurement Act and the National Measurement Regulations. The NMA legislation does not require speed measuring devices to be certified and generally does not affect the admissibility of evidence obtained from any speed measuring device. About 5 years ago I represented a client (Ken Harris) who instructed me to run the NMA argument. Mr Harris was convicted and he subsequently lost his County Court appeal. Although the NMA argument has been accepted on a couple of occasions, each of those rulings has been overturned by higher appeal courts. You will have to take your case to the High Court to overrule the current position. Below are links to some of the superior court decisions that have thrown-out this argument. A few home-grown speeding fine activists are still advising people to use this "defence", so the list of losing cases is likely to grow as time goes by. They believe the courts are mis-interpreting the legislation. The courts' duty is to interpret the legislation made by parliament, and if the courts' interpetation is not what parliament intended, then you can expect parliament to make appropriate amendments. Parliament has not made any amendments to change the court's interpretation of this legislation. In my opinion, there are many easier ways to win a speeding case than to rely on the NMA, although speeding fine activists can't think of any.

Re: Appeal of White [1987] District Court NSW
Hooper v. Marshall [1992] TASSC B50
Allan v. Broome [2003] TASSC 38
JENKINS v WMC RESOURCES LTD [1999] WASCA 171
Pearce v Dennis [1997] QCA 239
Crosthwaite v Loader [1995] QSC 42
Borody v Smith Ors [2002] NSWSC 1242
Brooks v. Parente (1989) Supreme Court of Vic. Nathan J. Unreported.
Radalj v. Taylor (1997) 25 MVR 11 (SCWA)
Rumsely v. Taylor (1997) 26 MVR 563 (SCWA)
In the Appeal of Lloyd (1994) 20 MVR 408 (NSW)
The plot thickens - upon investigation it would appear there is a long running feud between Sean P Harding of trafficlaw.com.au and Aussiespeedingfines.com.

Have a read at http://www.aussiespeedingfinescam.com/
Old 13-08-2010, 02:41 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jezzamcbezza at standard level

I don't dispute the feud between Sean and Mike, however Sean has no reason to lie about [that defence] not working. If someone ran it successfully, they would be all over his claims (as bogus)
Old 13-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbudgie View Post
Going to court and saying that it is physically impossible as your only defence and not having any evidence to introduce a "reasonable doubt" is asking to have it thrown out. Saying it's not physically possible and then presenting the court with evidence is a whole different matter entirely.
I am aware of this and given there are a few engineering degrees in the family, it was presented properly.

I have also sat in on numerous cases for other legal matters and watched judges throw out these random facts of 'reasonable doubt' for a more common sense attitude.

Have you actually been before a judge with this 'toolkit' or has it never reached that far?
Old 13-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Have you actually been before a judge with this 'toolkit' or has it never reached that far?
I haven't no but I know of someone who has and succeeded but I don't know the specific details involved, there may have been other contributing factors which affected the outcome so until I check with him I can't say for sure.

I hear what you are saying though and I fully agree with you when you said that the majority of success likely to be had with this method is by them putting it into the "too hard basket".
Old 14-08-2010, 01:33 AM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

hahha righto.....
Old 14-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbudgie View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions with your statements there. I am more than happy to take responsibility for my own actions, the other night when I got a ticket for doing 114 in a 90 zone I know for a fact I was doing 100 on the dot because the chick I had in the car with me was asking how fast the car got to 100 kph so we tested it and she had the laptop and I was watching 2 speedos so to say I was doing 114 is a bit of a fairy tale (and yes my speedo has been calibrated recently). Now I am more than happy to cop 10-12 kph over the limit and get 1 point on my licence but $300 and 3 points is a joke.
for 10-19kph over the limit it's 2 demerits i'm sorry to inform you

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 14-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Sign me up!
WRX Hi Five Club

wrx oh oh at standard level

My opinion fwiiw
Those website arguments are the same as 'the right to bear arms' and 'local governments are not recognized in the constitution'.
This will get you nowhere in any Australian court of law.
For example, remember the guy who camped up a tree to stop the City of Gosnells cutting it down? He lost, the tree is down. And many people on here would own or be a tenant of a strata title property, these have by-laws which are upheld by the courts even though 'strata titles are not recognized in the constitution'.
Old 14-08-2010, 12:32 PM
STI Master

Giddyup at standard level

I just HAVE to see how this goes.
Old 14-08-2010, 06:27 PM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx oh oh View Post
My opinion fwiiw
Those website arguments are the same as 'the right to bear arms' and 'local governments are not recognized in the constitution'.
For example, remember the guy who camped up a tree to stop the City of Gosnells cutting it down? He lost, the tree is down. And many people on here would own or be a tenant of a strata title property, these have by-laws which are upheld by the courts even though 'strata titles are not recognized in the constitution'.
Also didnt that tree huggin tw@ end up in court on various charges for disrupting the council an stuff?
Old 14-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx oh oh View Post
My opinion fwiiw
The dude in the tree example is a slightly different situation than a parking fine. You need to compare apples with apples dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup View Post
I just HAVE to see how this goes.
Same here dude, the way I figure it is I can be defeated before I start and just cop the full penalty or I can at least have a go and see if I can get it dismissed. What I have got to lose (some time and a few stamps and envelopes) compared to what I can gain makes it a no brainer from my point of view.

The only reason I posted this on here was that if it does indeed end up working then it can benefit all of us here at Perth-wrx who have received infringements for something they haven't done. I'm not saying for everyone to race out and purchase a subscription to the website, I have already done this so let me be the "guinea pig" and if I lose then nobody is any worse off than they were to begin with and if I win then we all win.

Tags
day trippa?????, fine, parking, pay, read