Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MY99GT at standard level

Having always used Nvidia cards in the past.. last year i finally bought an ATI, what a fcuking crock of utter shite. Didn't work from day 1, was replaced and then I had to RMA the replacement. Vertical lines, shit driver updates and more. In the end they sent me a brand new replacement which has never been installed (which i ended up giving to Jason cos the sight of it pissed me off) - i just couldn;t be fucked with the constant driver roll-backs and re-installs. Will never, ever, ever buy ATI again. My current Lappy (Asus G73JH) has an ATI card, but i am not able to update the drivers because when i do it causes the same vertical lines and shit that my previous desktop ATI card did.

When i spoke to someone about it, they basically said that the whole range of cards was pretty much broken, and it was a lottery whether the card would work without shitting itself.

Suffice to say, i'm back to Nvidia GTX285 at the moment.. my new build will have SLi 560 TI's or -580's.
We will remember them.

Lest we forget .
Old 15-09-2011, 01:35 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Tommosaurus at standard level

Check MSY dude. Might be a fraction cheaper - so you might be able to get slight upgrades for the same price.

Go for solid state HDD. Will rock your socks off.
Old 15-09-2011, 01:57 PM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99GT View Post
Having always used Nvidia cards in the past.. last year i finally bought an ATI, what a fcuking crock of utter shite. Didn't work from day 1, was replaced and then I had to RMA the replacement. Vertical lines, shit driver updates and more. In the end they sent me a brand new replacement which has never been installed (which i ended up giving to Jason cos the sight of it pissed me off) - i just couldn;t be fucked with the constant driver roll-backs and re-installs. Will never, ever, ever buy ATI again. My current Lappy (Asus G73JH) has an ATI card, but i am not able to update the drivers because when i do it causes the same vertical lines and shit that my previous desktop ATI card did.

When i spoke to someone about it, they basically said that the whole range of cards was pretty much broken, and it was a lottery whether the card would work without shitting itself.

Suffice to say, i'm back to Nvidia GTX285 at the moment.. my new build will have SLi 560 TI's or -580's.
Glad of Someone else that shares my same sentiment & views towards ATI/AMD Graphics Cards. Absolute Pile of shit! with Poor Driver support, The list literally goes on.

My experiences go back quite a while ago 6+ years ago, but have steered away from them since. Wont go to much in detail about what occurred, reflecting on about it just pisses me off.

Currently have EVGA GTX 580's in SLI under water-cooling. Never had an issue with them, insane FPS results too so would recommend them hands down.

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......

Last edited by Slap Dash; 15-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 15-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

^^
IT guy said the same thing.

But its a bit hard to go around and get parts/etc with no car atm.
Old 15-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MY99GT at standard level

I read not too long ago that the Nvidia GTX560 TI, actually outperforms the high end cards.. especially in SLI. bearing in mind the 560TI is actually $300-400 cheaper than the 580/90's it's definitely worth thinking about.

I think Jason has a supplier that can get them super cheap.. and i'm sure he'd drop the stuff to you if you asked nicely haha
We will remember them.

Lest we forget .
Old 15-09-2011, 02:22 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99GT View Post
I read not too long ago that the Nvidia GTX560 TI, actually outperforms the high end cards.. especially in SLI.
Yes & No; Two 560's in Sli are pretty impressive Vs Single 570/580 or ATI/AMD card, They Both will Outperform, but not by much either.

However almost in all circumstances a Two card configuration VS a single will beat it hands down. Also in Particular in SLI Setup vs a Crossfire Setup. Nvidia just have the better Driver support.

For what you pay it is a very good Budget card... Tho, I'm Biased when it comes to graphics cards I Have to get the Best of the Best.

Old 15-09-2011, 02:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSubaru View Post
Triple Channel ram is slightly slower than Dual.

I lol at GSkill...

I had that exact 6870HD - Biggest heap of shit ive ever owned. Overhyped, and good on paper. Was crap in reality.

GTX560Ti or 570 preferably. How old is the Hard Drive you will be using?
Glad that I didn't end up upgrading my 9800gtx to the 6870 if it is that bad. What branded 6870 did u get? I've seen a few comparisons of the XFX 6870hd and it out performs the same price ranged cards for the higher resolutions.

And I have no idea what ram is best, I cant see that there would be much difference between any of the brands though.

As for ram I generally buy whatever is cheaper from the well known brands. Corsair, Kingston etc.
Old 15-09-2011, 02:53 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Dash View Post
Yes & No; Two 560's in Sli are pretty impressive Vs Single 570/580 or ATI/AMD card, They Both will Outperform, but not by much either.

However almost in all circumstances a Two card configuration VS a single will beat it hands down. Also in Particular in SLI Setup vs a Crossfire Setup. Nvidia just have the better Driver support.

For what you pay it is a very good Budget card... Tho, I'm Biased when it comes to graphics cards I Have to get the Best of the Best.
The 560ti I have heard is extremely good as a single card for its price.

Pretty much any two cards run in SLI if had the money spent into a better single card will get out performed. Not to mention the increased heat in your case form the xtra card.

I see SLI technology as a good option in the future (year or two down the track from when you buy your PC) when you want a bit more performance and card prices have come down but you dont want to go and buy a whole new GPU. In this case SLI may be good

P.S. if anyone has a XFX 9800GTX 512mb DDR3 720 mhz for sale PM me as I wanna SLI it
Old 15-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

Will you be playing BF3 with this??

and a single GTX580 with a mild overclock wil be on par with 2x GTX560TI
BUT not all games are optimised to run 2 or more cards so 1 might just be better
a single card 570 or 6950 will be good enough for todays game
If you want to run more than 2 monitor go with ATI

X58/bloomfield/Lynnfield boards are a dying breed not too sure if intel are gona bring out any new tech for it all Sandy/Ivy now - once the price goes down i7-980x on cards

The 2nd gen i7/i5 overclock better and easier - seen i7-2500k up to 4.5ghz on air (noctua nd-h14)
my i7-950 is on 4ghz using corsair H80 to cool it.... dont want to go higher

Dont go to MSY if you want warranty or RMA parts....
Old 15-09-2011, 03:08 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxar View Post
Dont go to MSY if you want warranty or RMA parts....
+1 on this. Not to mention bunch of rude cunts also. I also don't typically Purchase from brick and Mortar either.. Go through all my wholesalers & friends & family in USA

Tags
computer, cursers, cursors, geeks, lend