Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level
Default Problems with 12v solar system on my camper

As above, I've recently fitted two 12v solar panels to the roof of my Transit van, one 200w & one 100w running in parallel, I should be getting around 15 - 17v but I'm lucky to get 11.8v at the batteries and low 12's at the panels, I've used 10mm sq cable which is more than big enough and it's about 2.5m from the batteries (2 x 130ah gel) to the panels.

My son in law is a sparky and he came over today and it's got him bamboozled also, everything I've done seems right but it's either the eBay panels which are the same brand but from different suppliers or ?????, all suppliers have good feedback and I sent off a question to them today.

I'm also having problems with my inverter, it's a 2000/4000w unit but it's somehow getting negative whatever the voltage in the battery is showing on a multimeter & it'll spark on contact with anything that's earthed to the body if the body of the unit touches earth though it works fine( I.E. if I put the multimeter between one of the body screws and the vehicle body it'll show something like -12.4v)......... well it did until we connected the control box today, now the control box beeps and shuts down the inverter which means I can't run my 240v fridge off it any more so I have to be plugged into mains, run the car for a couple of hours a day or run the generator so if anyone knows about this stuff or knows someone who does please let me know..............I'm supposed to take off on Sat.

On it's first trial run last week up at Lanno & Cervanties.

Couldn't do without a Subaru part or two so it's got a Foz seat with a swivel base and a couple of lap belts on the lounge in the back.

Cervanties.

Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 07-01-2014 at 01:35 AM.

Tags
12v, camper, problems, solar, system